+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, Deviation and GRADE TALLY COLUMNS in Technical; Hi all I am trying to create a template in SIMS to track pupil deviation across all subjects at a ...
    Thank Post

Deviation and GRADE TALLY COLUMNS

Hi all I am trying to create a template in SIMS to track pupil deviation across all subjects at a particular reporting point. I want to create a formula to work out how many times a pupil has a particular deviation, eg. -2, 0 etc. When I select GRADE TALLY COLUMNS, the deviation columns in my spreadsheet don't show as an option to select which I think is because they are Marks-Integer.
    Is there a way of getting around this? I thought about copying each deviation column using the EQUALS formula to create it into a grade but I'm not sure how this would work.
    Any suggestions would be greately appreciated!!
    Thanks!
    Lianne

Thank Post
    Hi,
    you are correct, you need a grade. I have an aspect called Ma GD with a gradeset with grades ....+2, +1, 0, -1, -2 etc and use a marks to grade formula to assign the grade. I like to emphasize the positive and negative values but it has a lot of other advantages as well. You will need to add a lot of aspects but worth it in the end I hope.

3. Thanks to number34 from:

LianneKemp (4th June 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by number34 View Post
    Hi,
    you are correct, you need a grade. I have an aspect called Ma GD with a gradeset with grades ....+2, +1, 0, -1, -2 etc and use a marks to grade formula to assign the grade. I like to emphasize the positive and negative values but it has a lot of other advantages as well. You will need to add a lot of aspects but worth it in the end I hope.
    Thank you, I'll give that a go!!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by number34 View Post
    Hi,
    Sorry I might be being really dense, but what did you have as values in your gradeset?

Thank Post
    Depends, for GCSE I use multiples of 6. So if target grade is B and current grade is D the difference is -12 which has a grade of -2 with a value of -12. Hope that makes sense?
    (SIMS is very flexible and you can use values in the marks to grades formula that don't fit the grade set ones)
    Last edited by number34; 4th June 2013 at 03:39 PM. Reason: left a bit out!!

7. Thanks to number34 from:

Thank Post
    If you want to avoid creating new Aspects a Flinstones way of doing this would be to create a group of hidden Data Review Formula columns using IF THEN ELSE forumlas that said IF column = -2 THEN output 1 ELSE output 0. Your visible column would then just be a SUM of all these columns.

This would be slightly tedious and messy if you had lots of columns and wanted a separate count for lots of different residuals but it would avoid having to create new aspects and would mean that you could keep your old Mark-Integer columns.

9. Thanks to Ecclesbury from:

Thank Post
    Thanks both for your help, I went with creating aspects with gradesets which works well for us

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread