+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, {Progresso} Internet Explorer 9? in Technical; Hi Everyone, We need to make a decision today whether to go to SIMS or Progresso... We are edging strongly ...

Thank Post

Exclamation {Progresso} Internet Explorer 9?

Hi Everyone,

We need to make a decision today whether to go to SIMS or Progresso...

We are edging strongly towards Progresso, but we have heard there are issues with Internet Explorer 9. One school has informed us that it is very unreliable with IE9 and that some features only work in IE8 and other features only work with Firefox(?!)

Can anyone shed some light on this? - We have IE9 installed on every computer so we really need to know if there are any issues.

Thanks in advance!

Scott

Thank Post
    I'm not using it live (yet although it's planned) but used to work for Advanced Learning. To the best of my knowledge, though I don't speak on their behalf, they are focussing on performance and reliability between now and the new academic year (which is when I'll be using it). So I expect this might be better by then, if there are still issues now.
    The trick is to run it in whatever browser is specified as supported and then you won't have an issue. From what I remember, stick compatibility mode on and the problems disapear. This can be pushed out by policy or login script for that site, so you shouldn't have an issue. Ultimately you also have to ask can you base the decision of the MIS you'll use for the next how ever many years based on a couple of months of browser issue?

Thank Post
    Don't go progresso... We are moving our small primary from sims > progresso and now back to CMIS which we use at the college.

So many things wrong with it. Give it 12 months and it might be ok....

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I'm going to assume you aren't involved in a formal tender as the scoring must be set in advance.

If you haven't already, write out your list of must, should, nice to have features. Give each one a weighting of importance (6,3,1).
    Score each product for each item on the list (say 1-5, five being the best). Multiply by the weighting. Add up the scores. Highest one most closely matches your requirements. HOWEVER if it misses any MUSTS or SHOULDs then you need to quickly evaluate if that is a show stopper, and that perhaps the next lowest scoring offer may be a better all-rounder.

Now look at the costs. what is the difference between the top scorer and the next one down. Is the difference in how they meet requirements worth the difference in cost?

A crucial question often overlooked is how the product performs on a wireless network, or how the system can be used on a non-windows device. Both or neither may be applicable to you situation right now... however they may well be very relevant in a few years....
    Last edited by psydii; 24th May 2013 at 11:48 AM.

5. Thanks to psydii from:

vikpaw (24th May 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,306 Times in 1,088 Posts
    I agree with the argument on not making your choice based on a browser. If you think it's good enough to have then it's worth rolling back the browser across the site, not matter how painful.
    This system is the heart of all your data and feeds so many others. It will be used by all your stakeholders, if not now, in the future.
    On the other hand, have you read the sticky threads and others about the issues people have had with serco/acs/progresso...?
    Finally, SIMS doesn't need a browser, so if it's really a big deal, then i think the decision is made.
    Out of interest, what about IE10? I just installed a 2k8 server and ran all the updates and it has gone up to IE10

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Out of interest, have you viewed the other possibilities on the market? There are another half dozen decent entries... Aspen MIS to name just one.

Thank Post
    What psydii said is absolutely true. I assumed you'd already got that far. Let us know what you chose!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GREED View Post
    Out of interest, have you viewed the other possibilities on the market? There are another half dozen decent entries... Aspen MIS to name just one.
    I've heard nothing but horror stories about Progresso...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,035 Times in 908 Posts
    What decision did you make in the end?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by StacyLarkin View Post
    I've heard nothing but horror stories about Progresso...
    I think the unofficial nickname is now 'Regresso'.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by terryjones89 View Post
    I think the unofficial nickname is now 'Regresso'.
    or 'Depresso' as it is known at my school

Thank Post
    Excellent. *slits throat now*

Thank Post
    In answer to the original question, Progresso does work with IE9, however there are a few minor things which don't work quite right such as the online help. You can also run IE 9 in IE8 compatibility mode if you open the developer tools.

As for the rest of you giving Progresso a slating, I do agree with you that the move is very stressful but since ACS have taken over we have seen much better (and consistant) speed and uptime.

Progresso is by far the best educational product on the market despite it's current issues. It has the most powerful reporting and analysis system I have seen in any education product, and have only ever seen a system like this in the NHS and other large corporates. I would agree that waiting 6 months might be wise so the improvments over summer can be seen.

Much of the annoyances seen by users can be overcome by a few tweeks, such as using SSO and having someone able to create reports and widgets and then automating them. We are starting to see efficiency savings in a number of areas across the Academy.

15. Thanks to markberry from:

vikpaw (5th June 2013)

Thank Post
    Thank you for you observations around Advanced Learning and Progresso. To introduce myself I have recently been appointed by Advanced Computer Software Group (ACS) to lead the Advanced Learning business. Along with myself other ACS personnel have now joined the team. As for Progresso, there have been issues and Advanced Learning, since acquiring Serco Learning, have committed resources to furthering the product to be what many customers believe it can be, which is a market leading MIS solution for schools. I’ve committed to appraising all of our customers on a regular basis of our plans for Progresso and Facility. If you would like to learn more about the real position, and where we are making investment to strengthen our solutions feel free to contact me direct at Gregory.ford@advancedcomputersoftware.com

17. Thanks to Gregford from:

vikpaw (6th June 2013)

Thank Post
    Greg,

Thanks for introducing yourself. I worked for Serco and then Advanced for 6 years up until March this year which I joined a school again full time. I shan't say too much on a public forum, but there are a couple of points I'd like to make regarding our own delayed go live, which I'll send you by email.

Thanks, Mark for bringing a little more balance. In my previous role I've implemented a couple of schools during a crisis stage and they've been absolutely fine, because they had whatever they needed to overcome the problems, had a can do attitude, and were aware of the level of commitment needed to make such a project work. There will always be some things which you can't get around if the issue exists; a bug is a bug, and performance issue is too, and neither of those can be overcome by an organised school. But if those have workarounds and you can ensure people stay positive (through seeing the benefits the software brings, which will only happen if correctly implemented), these things will work themselves out eventually.

Mike Sanderson

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread