+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
MIS Systems Thread, Paying Capita for SIMS support in Technical; i think we should be realistic, step back and take a look at the situation everyone is discussing here. most ...

Thank Post

Re: Paying Capita for SIMS support

i think we should be realistic, step back and take a look at the situation everyone is discussing here.

most applications do the same things whether that be recording attendance, dinners, updating pupil information. What makes an application special is the support that you recieve when things go bad. Let's face it, your not paying for the application because you can an application that does the same thing from a number of suppliers. What you are actually paying for is the support and if you are not getting that support isn't it time to think about alternatives?

The market is opening up through several BECTA initiatives and hopefully this will filter down and improve the support that schools recieve. At the end of the day a school needs to think about what benefits itself which is not a desicion that should be made centrally or even locally.

If you are unhappy with the service you recieve, there is no reason to stay with your current supplier. Look towards the other suppliers on the MOU, contact them and ask for a Demo - whats the harm in spending 1 hour of your time listening to something that may improve the way you work, make you more efficient and enable to talk to the right people you pay money to for support.

ps. If you are worried about data migration - don't be. Transfers files and export files have come along way for this.

Thank Post

Sims is poo. 'Nuff said.

.... Useful comment, i know...

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zorro_Slot
    Sims is poo. 'Nuff said.

.... Useful comment, i know...
    Its actually becoming quite a good program, its just the constant updates and lack of planning for the future in their initial programming that holds it back.

The end user experience isn't too bad, but for us IT people its an absolute nightmare just to keep running.

Thank Post

@Muhaimin - I see from your posts you are not a fan of some of our MIS suppliers - is there anyone in particular you would reccomend ?

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by StArbiter
    @Muhaimin - I see from your posts you are not a fan of some of our MIS suppliers - is there anyone in particular you would reccomend ?
    Were it not for the training costs of teaching staff how to write again, I would suggest pen and ink.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Ravening_Wolf
    Were it not for the training costs of teaching staff how to write again, I would suggest pen and ink.
    Well it's certainly a novel approach, but alas quite apart from the fact that it is against workload agreements I can't see the MIS companies able to phase this in until at least 2010.

Support seems to vary wildly from place to place depending on local agreements, LEA agreements the composition of MIS systems within authorities and local personel. No company will ever get it right, Capita proberly have the worst of it due to the number of questions they get from different sources being the market leader.

But the bottom line is its a conflict between flexibility and support. The more features an MIS has, the more it is used, the more features it encompases, the less able it is to support it. New features sell more product, bug fixes never do.

Self defeating circle really, there will always be complaints about support.

the most effective support is I feel when you can strike up a personal relationship with someone at the support centre. I always ask for full names and numbers to call back for progress. Often I get the brush off but when it pays off it tends to make life easier. People as well as process are generally the key to effective support.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeFaux
    New features sell more product, bug fixes never do.
    True, but bug fixes and good customer support get renewals and recommendations.

Home: Telford Office: Wolverhampton Work Travel: all over UK!
    Thank Post

Just testing

Just testing my signature following preious threads Sorry for interupting

Home: Telford Office: Wolverhampton Work Travel: all over UK!
    Thank Post
    Hiya Nick
    Have taken heed and updated my signature now - I actually took it off a while back as I was accused of promoting my software during a discussion about missing marks which was rather annoying as I was genuinely after school advise. I've put it back on... subject to further 'promotion accusations'!! All the best. Jen

Thank Post

Payin Capita sims support

Quote Originally Posted by kingswood View Post
    Obviously this may just be our experience of Capita/.ICT support but we have found them helpful, prompt, and willing to investigate and work with us to find solutions to even the dumbest problems we come across weekly.

No service provider will ever match the expectation of its users. We work in ICT. We should know that! But for me Capita have been excellent and always willing to help. And that has meant the difference between sweating heavily for a long time or surviving another hectic week of outages and issues.

Paul

Just wanted to point out Capita.ict is not the same as Capita SIMS they were originally part of the Northants LEA called .ICT and sold off to Capita ES , Customer Service is their top priority , and they generally deliver , how long they will continue to exist before being absorbed into one of the regional centres is another question? When / if that happens Northants schools can look forward to the same level of service as mentioned by many other posts on the thread , happy day's

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234