+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, Paying Capita for SIMS support in Technical; All I want from Capita is a way to see who is logged in and way to lock people out ...

Thank Post

Re: Paying Capita for SIMS support

All I want from Capita is a way to see who is logged in and way to lock people out for upgrades.

We have support from Capita Penine and generally speaking we have had good service.

Thank Post

Timzim both things need to be true before a case is closed. i.e. we give you a solution and you don't get back within three days to say it didn't work. If you get back after 3 days the case is re-opened.

Thank Post

Sorry Phil, But I beg to differ with you... on a number of occasions in the past my Cases with the helpdesk have been closed when I have been waiting for the support desk to issue me with a update/or a fix.

I'm STILL waiting for somebody to get back to me with a problem I've been having with Lesson Monitor 6 since the first day of term!!!

Also, since installing the August release we have had a few more problems with Lesson Monitor 6, (since putting this update on our support has expired and I've not bothered to re-new it for a number of reasons) I'm sure this will be resolved by the next update.... which is what the helpdesk will probably tell me if I was to re-new the support contract.

Another reason why I am very reluctant to re-new the support is because I'm 95% certain that Capita ripped us off when they came to setup are Lesson Monitor. We were charged around £2,000 for an install, what did this involve you may ask? Well I'll tell you... some bloke who ran a DBupgrade patch on our server with a License Key to activate Lesson Monitor, whole process took about 5minutes, £2K for 5 minutes work is not bad going. I'm convinced that Capita charged us £2K for installation (believing that we had never had SIMS installed in school before and would need installing from scratch) But that's not the case... we are already support by our LEA to use SIMS.net and they do the install for that.

I've spoken to a number of people in Capita over the last 12months about this charge for the installation and never got very far with it, maybe Phil you could clarify things.

Maybe if I PM you with my office number you could give me a call and we could discuss a few things, failing that, I am due to attend the SIMS conference on Wednesday in Manchester if your around.

Who else is intending going down? Maybe a good place to express some opinions!!!

Regards,

Matt

Thank Post

Obviously this may just be our experience of Capita/.ICT support but we have found them helpful, prompt, and willing to investigate and work with us to find solutions to even the dumbest problems we come across weekly.

No service provider will ever match the expectation of its users. We work in ICT. We should know that! But for me Capita have been excellent and always willing to help. And that has meant the difference between sweating heavily for a long time or surviving another hectic week of outages and issues.

Paul

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,781 Times in 1,105 Posts
    Blog Entries

I'll back up the feeligns of Kingswood on this one ... the SIMS team there are spot on ... always willing to help and you get prompt responses too.

I yes ... they have even managed to keep a straight face when given stupid problems that know-it-all NMs make when they don't RTFM.

Thank Post

A colleague of mine was on an MCSE course a few months back - there was also a guy from Capita there. Apparently he was saying the education part of it was loosing so much money and didn't even break even last year. Shocking news if it is true considering the amount of money Capita get in support fees and how little we call on them for support.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,781 Times in 1,105 Posts
    Blog Entries

lol ... the guy was seriously uninformed.

Don't forget that Capita don't just do SIMS ... and don't just do education.

In the six months to June they made pre-tax profits of £103.8 million.

It may be that a single arm of the company is not doing well, but as with any large firm (with fingers in lots of pies) this is common and the R&D in one section may end up being used to produce goods that create a profit in another.

Whole sections of Unilever have not made a profit for decades ... but when they hit it ... they hit it big!

Thank Post

lol indeed. Wishful thinking from one of our competitors I suspect.

We invest £7.5m/year in development alone and we couldn't do that if we were loss making!

BTW the law forbids a company with a large market share to sell at a loss and keep going by relying on profits made elsewhere. That rule applies to any new product we bring out.

Thank Post

IMO 90% of MIS issues should be able to be resolved on the same call either by talking to the client support person or through remote desktop help. A further 5% of MIS issues should be able to be resolved on the day of the call after the user has receieved an issue number and is contacted back.

That leaves us with 5% of MIS issues wich may not be solved on the same call or same day. These issues, depending on severity, relies on the MIS Supplier to assess the situation e.g. if the application is not accessible by any user than an immediate fix/appointment either on the same day or next day should be made.

Simple?

Thank Post

We have serious issues with Capita Support..

You can never get past the first line drones... They take down your problem and then a cpouple of hours later you get an email solution that most times has nothing really to do with the problem..

Then you phone again and still can't get past the drone and they say they'll get an engineer to call back... but one really never does..

So basically they take so long to resolve a simple issue that if you had just had a 5 min chat with an engineer would have been resolved

.. yet what you get is massive time and effort wasteage trying to get to someone to talk to.. but getting poxy emails and they think this is efficiant...

Thank Post

Grommit, I will willingly investigate any complaint that you have if you would like to identify yourself to me.

Thank Post

Grommit,

is not possible to find a supplier who has a client support team that is backed up by a technical support team who you are able to speak to directly?

its fair to say that most organisations have a hierarchichal system. However, the efficieny of that system is dictated by the policy that the supplier is willing to take when resolving calls.

The most efficient supplier (and there are some available) will work in the following way where a call is taken by the client support person (1st line) - if this person is not able to resolve on the call then they will speak to the supervisor for the client support team (2nd line) - This should resolve most data issue's. This call should take no longer than 10-15 mins in most cases. If it is any longer then a technial suppport person (3rd line) should be involved. Email does not allow the proper communication for technial support issues.

Thank Post

Muhaimin - Its precisely for the reasons that you have highlighted in your post that we (Bromcom) endeavour to have technical personnel on our 1st line helpdesk.
    I personally hate phoning any support line with a technical problem only to be confronted with someone who is in essence a answer phone with some scripts to follow.
    That being the case I have a support team who can all design and execute SQL script, have an in depth knowledge of not just our own products but to a large degree those products we interface with (SIMS, Phoenix etc.) and as a result its only the most extreme data issues or actual honest to goodness bugs that ever get escalated beyond the helpdesk team.

Thank Post

Apart from Letter designer and generator, which no one can tell me what it's trying to do when it runs that needs admin rights.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by DMcCoy
    Apart from Letter designer and generator, which no one can tell me what it's trying to do when it runs that needs admin rights.
    I'll get you the proper answer to that one.
    Its on my list of things to chase the software department for an answer to

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast