+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, Best way of allowing Staff to update SIMS? in Technical; Originally Posted by Theblacksheep SCCM2012 I'm looking at creating an App-V package and then deploying that through SCCM2012. That way ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Theblacksheep View Post
    SCCM2012
    I'm looking at creating an App-V package and then deploying that through SCCM2012. That way I only ever have to update the program once each release!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,381 Times in 1,143 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostgame View Post
    Do I dare mention SOLUS3?
    I don't think they heard you - maybe if @matt40k shouts it!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by vikpaw View Post
    I don't think they heard you - maybe if @matt40k shouts it!
    Allow me...

SOLUS3!!!

4. Thanks to Rawns from:

vikpaw (20th May 2013)

Thank Post
    I use a startup script to check the version of Pulsar.exe, and if it's below the right version, run SIMSInfrastructureSetup.exe, -ApplicationSetup, -ManualSetup.exe and -AMPARKSetup.exe straight from the server as SYSTEM. That sorts the lot out and I just change the version string in the batch file when I've upgraded on the server.

Thank Post
    Yer, SOLUS3 is the way forward. Never had to turn off UAC, give users admin or power user rights, full control of a folder in a protected folder (program files), run an out of date batch file, write something bespoke that requires extra documentation.

Only other option is SCCM or CentraStage which is like using the backdoor to get into your house rather then SOLUS3 which would be the frontdoor - nothing wrong with using the back door, other then it has a toll, just takes a bit of extra effect to get into your house. Other options are like climbing in via the windows - depending on how you do it defines if its the ground floor window which you left open or if you're climbing up the drain pipe and using your fist to break the bedroom window.

7. Thanks to matt40k from:

Rawns (20th May 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,381 Times in 1,143 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ephelyon View Post
    I use a startup script to check the version of Pulsar.exe, and if it's below the right version, run SIMSInfrastructureSetup.exe, -ApplicationSetup, -ManualSetup.exe and -AMPARKSetup.exe straight from the server as SYSTEM. That sorts the lot out and I just change the version string in the batch file when I've upgraded on the server.
    You can check a line in simsload.ini against the version of server side simsapplicationsetup - and this will work without needing to change your script each time. Assuming you can get the script to do it. I compiled this into an app for laptops - so the user gets warned and has the chance to plug in to a wired connection. Would be really useful for you if you can recreate that version checking part.

9. Thanks to vikpaw from:

Ephelyon (20th May 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by matt40k View Post
    Yer, SOLUS3 is the way forward. Never had to turn off UAC, give users admin or power user rights, full control of a folder in a protected folder (program files), run an out of date batch file, write something bespoke that requires extra documentation.

Only other option is SCCM or CentraStage which is like using the backdoor to get into your house rather then SOLUS3 which would be the frontdoor - nothing wrong with using the back door, other then it has a toll, just takes a bit of extra effect to get into your house. Other options are like climbing in via the windows - depending on how you do it defines if its the ground floor window which you left open or if you're climbing up the drain pipe and using your fist to break the bedroom window.
    Trouble is the front door doesn't let many people through, the automation system cannot be trusted, when it goes wrong it'll jam for days and the dedicated engineers take ages.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by vikpaw View Post
    - it didn't work.
    I think you may also need to enable the "Launching programs and unsafe files" setting in "Computer Configuration/Administrative Templates/Windows Components/Internet Explorer/Internet Control Panel/Security Page/Intranet Zone"

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Theblacksheep View Post
    Trouble is the front door doesn't let many people through, the automation system cannot be trusted, when it goes wrong it'll jam for days and the dedicated engineers take ages.
    To be honest, its better to bite the bullet now and get all the issues out of the way instead of a year down the line when you are fighting all the other schools for help with SOLUS3. Capita are planning to drop support for SOLUS2.

Planned to be dropped after Spring 2014
    Last edited by Ghostgame; 20th May 2013 at 03:21 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostgame View Post
    To be honest, its better to bite the bullet now and get all the issues out of the way instead of a year down the line when you are fighting all the other schools for help with SOLUS3. Capita are planning to drop support for SOLUS2.
    Or find a way that means you only have to install SOLUS3 on one device that you can 150% guarantee will be turned on when you run an update. I'm hoping an virtual machine with App-V sequencer will be that one machine for us. The other option is host the thing on a terminal server...

Thank Post
    Exactly. It's no longer a case of 'if' but 'when' SOLUS2 support ends, and when you don't have a updated Setups folder available to build your own packages, and 10,000 other schools screaming for SOLUS3 help, it's going to be stressful for you.

Thank Post
    We use SIMSperm here. Works fine on all machines. Only have to look at Exams and Data officer machine once applied but its better than running round all machines.

Thank Post
    I'd rather not go down the app-v route, why spend extra money on licensing and server hardware making something that its not designed that way ? Are the clients low-end? In which case the school should be looking at a web based MIS if this is path they want to go down. Fair enough if you've done everything app-v and your running on atoms or something low power and SIMS is the odd one out

Thank Post
    Run Sims as a portable app from a network share. Just one place that needs updating then....

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AJWhite1970 View Post
    Run Sims as a portable app from a network share. Just one place that needs updating then....
    No, it's not designed that way, although it should work, transferring 150mb+ for each user, everytime is not good idea for starters. Legacy apps, like Nova, will also need com components to be reg'd on your machine also.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast