+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, NovaT6 - Pros & Cons please .. in Technical; Having never used it, but being asked to look at it, I thought I'd come here to find some pros ...
    Thank Post

NovaT6 - Pros & Cons please ..

Having never used it, but being asked to look at it, I thought I'd come here to find some pros and cons for NovaT6.

Basically, currently, the SLT spend a week together in a room with a big piece of paper sorting the timetable for the following year, but I've been asked by a member of SLT to see if there is any timetabling software available. As we pay for the SIMS package and get NovaT6 with that, I thought it's as good a place as any to start, but I'm looking for pros and cons.

Looking through the manual, it does look like it might take a bit of setting up in the first instance, but it's how easy is it to use after that? Can it be used by non technically minded folks, or will I regret pointing them in the direction and end up doing the timetabling job instead of looking after the shiny whizzy things?

Thanks
    Andy

Thank Post
    Having done timetabling in both Nova T4 and T6, albeit a few years ago now, I can honestly say that either version of Nova makes an excellent timetable creation tool. It just needs the right information. I suggest you contact your LEA (If you still have access to it) for a little bit of training. I took 2 or 3 one day courses.

T6 was the replacement to T4, and did everything T4 did, but added on a few extra bits. I found it an easy thing to use after a little while getting used to it. You do need a through understanding of the terminology, such as blocks, groups, periods and schedules (If they haven't made the terms easier). Once you get stuck in, it can be very powerful, and help scheduling duties and all sorts.

It's a little late in the year for this year to be written, as i used to aim for it all to be done in time for the British GP, around the end of June, early July. It might be worth having a go with it, and seeing if it can come up with a timetable quickly. I had one year when the whole process only took 2 attempts to get a good, optimised timetable. Just pure luck, though nova does take the headache out of a lot of the scheduling.

3. Thanks to jallsop from:

soveryapt (16th May 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jallsop View Post
    It's a little late in the year for this year to be written, as i used to aim for it all to be done in time for the British GP, around the end of June, early July. It might be worth having a go with it, and seeing if it can come up with a timetable quickly. I had one year when the whole process only took 2 attempts to get a good, optimised timetable. Just pure luck, though nova does take the headache out of a lot of the scheduling.
    Aye, very late in the year, they've just completed it the manual way, but I think they're looking forward for when they come around to it again next year.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread