+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, SQL - Express Vrs Full? in Technical; I'm sure I've seen this on here previously, but is there a general "rule of thumb" when deciding between SQL ...

Thank Post

SQL - Express Vrs Full?

I'm sure I've seen this on here previously, but is there a general "rule of thumb" when deciding between SQL express and full blown SQL?

I recall seeing some kind of formula? Users + DB size x 'X' amount or RAM? Or something like that? or am I just talking out my rear?

Thank Post
    A quick google come up with the following limit for sql express

- Maximum 10 GB per database.
    - Uses no more than 1 processor.
    - Uses no more than 1 GB of internal memory.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ICTonto View Post
    A quick google come up with the following limit for sql express

- Maximum 10 GB per database.
    - Uses no more than 1 processor.
    - Uses no more than 1 GB of internal memory.
    Cheers for this, I should have been a bit clearer in my original post though. I know what the limitations are between Express vrs Full, however I'm wondering at what point is SQL Express deemed not suitable for a school and the move to full SQL shuld be made? A middle school has 540 pupils, 40 SIMS users and a DB size of 1.5GB along with FMS, SOLUS3 and Discover databases and is currently using SQL express. A new server is being installed soon and I'm a bit unsure if SQL Express is really suitable?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,975 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Those sizes are near exactly the same as ours @Rawns, and we shifted to Full now, as Express was getting to be a little sluggish overall. But it was useable.

I think its basically on the cusp of being OK still with Express, but with features increasing constantly (like the coming improvements to search), I would suggest full as an investment for the future.

With EES pricing what it is, the costs are minimal.

5. Thanks to localzuk from:

Rawns (16th May 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,575 Times in 1,254 Posts
    It's the lack of available memory SQL Express can use which is the bigger issue. Sims especially loves RAM and 1GB is tiny these days. I do still remember the days when 64MB running XP was massive though!

7. Thanks to Michael from:

Rawns (16th May 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Those sizes are near exactly the same as ours @Rawns, and we shifted to Full now, as Express was getting to be a little sluggish overall. But it was useable.

I think its basically on the cusp of being OK still with Express, but with features increasing constantly (like the coming improvements to search), I would suggest full as an investment for the future.

With EES pricing what it is, the costs are minimal.
    Thanks @localzuk. The SQL2012 migration is not too far off and as they have Discover and SOLUS3, I may suggest Express R2 and then when the migration comes around, move over to full SQL2012. It will give them time to gauge performance on the new server with SQL Express and make life that little bit easier for all involved.

Thank Post
    My rule was we always installed express, it means we can't accidenly get into any licensing issues and its dead easy and quick to upgrade once you've purchased it. We recommend the school had standard edition if they had lesson monitor, sure I heard capita recommend it also if the school had InTouch. We've had secondary schools just doing AM/PM registers by all staff just find with Express, when they went and go lesson monitor they found out pretty quickly they should have listened and got a standard license. I basically say if your going buy lesson monitor, have the money allocated and the three quotes done before you go live to get standard edition. No point getting any of the other versions of SQL either, unless your centrally hosting it for a few hundred schools.

I used to say get only 1 physical CPU on the server and run SIMS on a physical server, the old licensing model forced you to license physical CPUs that the virtual server could run on, so if you had 3x Dual Quad servers and SIMS could be run on any of the three, even if it was one at a time, you would be forced under the old licensing to purchase 6 SQL processor licenses!! With the new model, you can just buy the virtual cores that have been assigned - min of 4.

Cost of CAL vs Processor tends to favour Processor at 30 user/devices or above - forgot exact figure, there is a spreadsheet I made somewhere

10. Thanks to matt40k from:

Rawns (17th May 2013)

Thank Post
    Cost of CAL vs Processor tends to favour Processor at 30 user/devices or above - forgot exact figure, there is a spreadsheet I made somewhere
    On EES I found it was cheaper to buy CAL's when you're talking that number.

12. Thanks to Edu-IT from:

matt40k (17th May 2013)

Thank Post
    Could you share/pm prices?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread