+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, How would you do this, SIMS gurus? in Technical; I've been asked to produce the following, if it can be done: Teacher is meeting with a student for a ...

Thank Post

How would you do this, SIMS gurus?

I've been asked to produce the following, if it can be done:

Teacher is meeting with a student for a mentoring session.
    Teacher is already in SIMS looking at student's assessment profile so would like to use SIMS to record the mentoring session.
    Teacher presses a button to open a nice form in which they fill out certain pre-defined fields to record how the mentoring session has gone.
    Teacher presses save and a report of the mentoring session is saved to student's SIMS record.
    Weekly, a report is run to note which students and teachers have been involved in mentoring meetings.

I am thinking that, with the exception of the "press a button and a nice form opens" bit, this is best done using a marksheet (with comments fields and perhaps codes for most commonly recorded pieces of information?) and an individual report?

Using a marksheet should make it easy to search and report on which meetings have been recorded. I'd need to change results sets regularly though as I think they meet once a month and they want to keep a record of all of the marks and comments recorded.

Those of you with much more SIMS knowledge than me may have a better idea of how to do this. Any comments please?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,168 Times in 797 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ICTLady View Post
    I am thinking that, with the exception of the "press a button and a nice form opens" bit, this is best done using a marksheet (with comments fields and perhaps codes for most commonly recorded pieces of information?) and an individual report?
    That's what I'd do. We also added a category for recording meetings to the achievements area which gave you a nice "pop out form" to use, unfortunately they can't automatically be added to linked documents like individual reports so in your case I'd say definitely look at using marksheets, potentially with gradesets for common values (e.g. we use 1-5 for rating behaviour from poor to excellent, the grade is a number so it can be typed in quickly, then the description is used on an IndRep to make it more readable)

Using a marksheet should make it easy to search and report on which meetings have been recorded. I'd need to change results sets regularly though as I think they meet once a month and they want to keep a record of all of the marks and comments recorded.
    If you don't use a result set, then any values entered on a different day will be stored as new results. You can then use date filters on your aspects in IndReps to bring out either the most recent result or only results entered between a certain date range (unfortunately there's no way of printing the actual date the result was entered to an IndRep - @PhilNeal any chance this could be added as an option in future?)

3. Thanks to LosOjos from:

ICTLady (17th May 2013)

Thank Post
    Thank you so much @LosOjos. The tip about no result set is a good one - have never used marksheets without a result set so that will be a learning experience for me

So, I'll check my marksheet weekly for entries added that week, and create new individual reports for anyone who has new marks. Is there any way of automating this process or will it need to be done manually? I know I can do the students in bulk but I would love to be able to schedule it to happen automatically.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,168 Times in 797 Posts
    Thank you so much @LosOjos. The tip about no result set is a good one - have never used marksheets without a result set so that will be a learning experience for me

So, I'll check my marksheet weekly for entries added that week, and create new individual reports for anyone who has new marks. Is there any way of automating this process or will it need to be done manually? I know I can do the students in bulk but I would love to be able to schedule it to happen automatically.
    There's no way of scheduling Individual Reports unfortunately (at least not that I know of - @vikpaw?)

However, you could create a report in SIMS that lets you specify a result date range on an "Assessment" sub report, returning a list of kids who have results within that date range. Then it's just a case of cloning/editing the report each week to change the date ranges associated with each aspect and choosing the kids from your list to run it on.

This is what your report filter would look like to get that list (as an example):

sims_filter_example.png

EDIT: just a thought, but you could [almost] completely automate this process with a clever script and a Word mail merge. It'd involve creating a SIMS report that pulls out the relevant aspect's results to an Excel spreasheet, filtered by date range at run time via CommandReporter. Then each time you opened your ready made Word document, you could just hit refresh to get the weeks data ready to print... to be honest though, nice as that would be, I suspect it wouldn't actually save you much time compared to the "all SIMS" method above
    Last edited by LosOjos; 17th May 2013 at 11:50 AM.

6. Thanks to LosOjos from:

ICTLady (17th May 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanks again. I need to run the SIMS report you've described anyway, as the HoY wants to see who's done their mentoring sessions each week. So I'm going to schedule a report which emails him and other relevant staff a list of students whose mentoring marksheet aspects have been updated that week (thank you for the useful example, v helpful to know where to start ).

We're only talking 10 kids or thereabouts each week so, yes, if there's no way to schedule Individual Reports then it's probably best to use the list from my scheduled report and do them individually .

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,383 Times in 1,145 Posts
    Hi, sorry missed this. No way to schedule in individual report i'm afraid.

I had a few thoughts, but don't have time to get them all down at the moment. I'm coming up with a cunning plan myself to get data previously produced via an individual report output via a regular report. I already do something similar for proof reading purposes.

One avenue to consider is using some kind of date flag, be it an assessment result filled with date, or another weekly marker, which could be a gradeset / integer 1-52.

You can output the data into an individual report style regular data report, e.g. RTF. Admittedly it has it's weaknesses in terms of layout.
    It will really depend on what data you are recording and what data you want to output.

If you can live with a regular data report then scheduling is easy enough and can even pop up on certain staff members' homepages - but i think the difficulty there is it might not have a date range included, so it would always show everything, so you'd have to put a sort in the report so only the latest data is at top.

I'll have a think a bit more about it.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread