+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, Checking If Marksheets are complete in SIMS in Technical; Hi All I just want to find out how you check to see if marksheets are complete for the whole ...

Thank Post

Checking If Marksheets are complete in SIMS

Hi All

I just want to find out how you check to see if marksheets are complete for the whole school in SIMS. I know you can do a missing results reports but its really slow just doing it for one marksheet and do not like the way it tells you what results are missing. My initial plan was to create a marksheet with all the subjects for each year group then I realised years 9 and above might not do a specific course/subject.

So this got me thinking how do you check marksheets. I'm thinking there must be a better way or maybe I don't know how to use SIMS properly.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,397 Times in 1,157 Posts
    Put the onus on the HoD, we can't do everything for them!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by vikpaw View Post
    Put the onus on the HoD, we can't do everything for them!
    You are right but I just recently set up Assessment Manager up for the school so at this minute I may have to be a bit more 'proactive' up until xmas latest. Plus the school has a few staffing issues as well

Thank Post
    I think there is a report but the really slick way of doing this is using InTouch which can automatically email or txt the guilty.

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Staff can tick boxes to say it is complete but in reality they either won't tick the box when complete, or tick the box thinking it's complete when it isn't (such as last minute additions to the columns or the "but I saved the results!" excuse). I've also found HODs are too unreliable to check their departments are filling in results as some of the HODs are the worst offenders for not filling them in and wanting delays because their testing calendar wasn't built round the assessment calendar!

Sadly this means the long winded way of checking each sheet individually and E-Mailing offenders. I'd recommend accounting for this delay in your assessment calendar.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,194 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CAM View Post
    Staff can tick boxes to say it is complete but in reality they either won't tick the box when complete, or tick the box thinking it's complete when it isn't (such as last minute additions to the columns or the "but I saved the results!" excuse). I've also found HODs are too unreliable to check their departments are filling in results as some of the HODs are the worst offenders for not filling them in and wanting delays because their testing calendar wasn't built round the assessment calendar!

Sadly this means the long winded way of checking each sheet individually and E-Mailing offenders. I'd recommend accounting for this delay in your assessment calendar.
    Have to agree, as the saying goes "if you want something done right, do it yourself!"

I use a hybrid solution - I go through all marksheets manually, but I tick any that are complete (and untick any half done ones that have been marked complete!). Then I run a report listing all the incomplete marksheets for me and email the relevant staff and HoD's. This means that when I check again the following day, I can use my report to only check those I know to be incomplete. Still takes time, but you can at least save yourself a bit this way.

Another trick most staff don't realise - if you right click a result and select "view history," you can see the date that result was entered - that can be very handy when you have staff claiming they had already done them to their HoD and you can prove they hadn't.

Thank Post
    The solution I described does not rely on the teacher ticking the box for those very reasons you describe! InTouch and the report scans result sets for blanks.

8. Thanks to PhilNeal from:

CAM (15th May 2013)

Thank Post
    What if you use a global marksheet, like a year based summary with everything, then for those odd years where that doesn't work, filter by course.
    It's probably just as much hassle as a manual check which is what we used to do.
    The thing is we have manual proof reading here, on paper (!) so they just get back incomplete sheets and the proof reader then takes it up with them ,be that a colleague or the dep. head!
    Or if you already have course marksheets, use them, they are handy to have and useful for the HoD anyway.

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilNeal View Post
    The solution I described does not rely on the teacher ticking the box for those very reasons you describe! InTouch and the report scans result sets for blanks.
    Hmmm will have to look into this. Where is the report in SIMS?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CAM View Post
    Hmmm will have to look into this. Where is the report in SIMS?
    I guess it'll work the same way as "Reports > Assessment > Missing Results Report", but with the added extra of emailing/texting offending staff

12. Thanks to LosOjos from:

CAM (15th May 2013)

Thank Post
    ..and don't select all + select all and populate cos it'll thrash your server!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by vikpaw View Post
    ..and don't select all + select all and populate cos it'll thrash your server!
    I was tempted to do this and then I remembered how slow SIMS can be when copying columns and saw how slow checking one marksheet was as well and then thought it would be wise not to be lazy and try and check everything at once

Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    Have to agree, as the saying goes "if you want something done right, do it yourself!"

I use a hybrid solution - I go through all marksheets manually, but I tick any that are complete (and untick any half done ones that have been marked complete!). Then I run a report listing all the incomplete marksheets for me and email the relevant staff and HoD's. This means that when I check again the following day, I can use my report to only check those I know to be incomplete. Still takes time, but you can at least save yourself a bit this way.

Another trick most staff don't realise - if you right click a result and select "view history," you can see the date that result was entered - that can be very handy when you have staff claiming they had already done them to their HoD and you can prove they hadn't.
    Thanks for that suggestion. I knew that you can do "view history" in the marksheets to view historic data but didn't think to use it to check who and what date the grade was filled in. Thanks for that as it would definatley come in handy.

From all the comments on here it sounds like I am going to use a global marksheet for Year 7 and 8 then check each subject marksheet for years 9 - 11.

Another question for you guys do you use Comments Bank or Marksheets to do written comments?
    Last edited by chrisateen; 15th May 2013 at 12:09 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisateen View Post
    Another question for you guys do you use Comments Bank or Marksheets to do written comments?
    We were tempted by comment banks but the majority of teachers opposed them (although the fact they opposed comment banks and yet fail to spell check their reports is a major sore point of mine!) so we stuck to free text on a marksheet.

One thing to bear in mind if you go down the Profiles route is that the various phases of Profiles need to be fully understood by all involved in report admin. I can't remember the specifics off the top of my head, but essentially once Profile reports are put in to a certain phase, they're impossible to edit. This is one of the reasons we don't use Profiles (I'm going back about 18 months now, things may have changed in that time)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    We were tempted by comment banks but the majority of teachers opposed them (although the fact they opposed comment banks and yet fail to spell check their reports is a major sore point of mine!) so we stuck to free text on a marksheet.

One thing to bear in mind if you go down the Profiles route is that the various phases of Profiles need to be fully understood by all involved in report admin. I can't remember the specifics off the top of my head, but essentially once Profile reports are put in to a certain phase, they're impossible to edit. This is one of the reasons we don't use Profiles (I'm going back about 18 months now, things may have changed in that time)
    The person from Capita who showed me how to do marksheets got us to set comments within the Marksheets. The reason I asked is that one teacher asked me why don't we use Comments Banks to do the reports instead. From what you said I might as well stick to marksheets as they are flexible on a marksheet

Thank Post
    We use marksheets for the same reason. I think Profiles is still the same, once you lock a season or whatever the term is, it's hard to go back.
    You can fiddle marksheets to give the semblance of a comment bank, within limits as you can use the aspect description to store a string and if that aspect is used pull the description in, but it's not worth the hassle. I had limited success with it for small groups where they wanted to show WTE,ME,EE type grades with an accompanying paragraph to go with it. The other ways are to do some clever scripting in the output, but not worth the effort these days.

With that marksheet history thing - just watch you look at entered date, not result date, as they can bulk alter result date!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread