+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, Accessing Linked Documents - Read Only in Technical; Hi all, I am struggling a little setting up read-only access to Linked Documents using SIMs permissions. We have setup ...

Thank Post

Accessing Linked Documents - Read Only

Hi all,

I am struggling a little setting up read-only access to Linked Documents using SIMs permissions. We have setup our own group and cannot see linked documents unless we give the Individual Report > Generate permisssion. Problem is as soon as we do this staff have the ability to delete any linked documents.

Have checked permissions on the Doc storage area and users only have read access so I am guessing SIMs access this using a system account, ruling out any specific windows permission issues.

Does anyone have read-only access to linked documents working, and if so how?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,383 Times in 1,145 Posts
    Permissions are tough, sometimes you have to give more than you'd like or add things that don't seem necessary.
    I just tried on my test server and you're right a teacher, at least my custom teacher group, can delete some, but it does warn that some documents can't be deleted, only the link removed. Though what use an orphaned document is to anyone i don't know. Not sure how you'd ever relink it.

Anyway, it's odd that you need generate ind.reps. Look at the Core part of the tree under Documents, maybe you can remove the Edit(All). But this will probably stop them from being able to create documents too.

Thank Post
    I'm trying to give certain staff access to view all Linked Documents. Currently they can view SEN Documents but I upload student progress reports (generated via Assessment Manager) to the Doc server. It is these Assessment Reports that I want them to see. I have tried tweaking the permissions where I think they need tweaking but they still can't view them. We have our own 'Bespoke' user roles rather than the in-built Capita roles. Is there a permissions document that says what each permission 'aspect' gives what access?

Thank Post
    If you join support.capitaes.co.uk and search for simsperm on the homepage you'll get an idea of the permissions granted to each default group. it won't give you the fine permissions, but once you've got a group that has the right permissions e.g. class teacher, you can look closer at that group to find what you need.
    Like i said before, permissions are hard, sometimes you need to give more than you want to, or aspects you wouldn't think necessary because they are used in behind the scenes validation.
    Have you looked at Core System | Individual Reports | View (All) ? It possibly also requires Generate also, which as above will give them access to delete some docs.

5. Thanks to vikpaw from:

ralpha (19th June 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanks, I've now managed to narrow it down (with a bit of trial and error along the way). I just need to get it agreed now

Thank Post
    You don't want to share ....

Thank Post
    No, it's my ball and I'm taking it home!!!
    What I selected was Core System - Assessment Manager - Individual Reports - and then I ticked Manage (All), Generate and View (All). I originally ticked all the options but then gradually reduced the chosen options ensuring that I could still view the reports.

**Edit** I know this doesn't resolve the original query (and apologies for hijacking the thread). I've just removed the Manage (All) option but it still gives the user the option to delete documents. Without investing a lot of time to look at this in more detail it seems that staff will need to be reminded(!) not to even think about deleting anything!
    Last edited by ralpha; 19th June 2013 at 04:08 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread