+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, SIMS Command Reporter - Accessing pre-defined "Registration Certificate Report" in Technical; Hello Everybody, I am currently using the SIMS command reporter to extract data for a schools reporting web service. I ...

Thank Post

SIMS Command Reporter - Accessing pre-defined "Registration Certificate Report"

Hello Everybody,

I am currently using the SIMS command reporter to extract data for a schools reporting web service. I am able to design my own custom reports and call then using the report:"*reportname*" command line arguements on the command reporter. I am however looking to extract the attendance report for individual users as XML then parse this and display it nicely.

SIMS has a built in way of doing this through the "Registration Certificate Report" which I can access through the SIMS interface and generate the XML I need. However I need to be able to do this programatically, and when I try and give "Registration Certificate Report" as the report name I get an error saying the report cannot be found. Does anybody know how I can get the command reporter to run this report?

Many Thanks In Advance

Bo

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,487 Times in 1,234 Posts
    I'm pretty sure that the built-in reports are not available for command reporter. You'd have to create your own custom report.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,487 Times in 1,234 Posts
    I have had very good success using vbscripts to automate certain SIMS tasks. Usually, this is conducted by priming the system (Assessment) to a certain stage, ready to carry out bulk changes to for example resultsets in a marksheet.

There's no reason why this couldn't be used to run SIMS and step through the menus to run the report you want. The menus and options in SIMS are accessible through keyboard shortcuts and tabs even when there is no visible cursor. The only messy part would be saving the output of the XML from the output file depending on where and how it opens.

If you have a dedicated machine to do the task it can all be tested and hard-coded.

You're supposed to be able to open SIMS and auto open a menu item, but that doesn't work for me, probably because i don't use trusted logins.

Once open, though you can Alt+r+n+i+r | use Tab / Shift+Tab to move around and ctrl+s to search, ctrl+p to print.

The thread with details and a sample script is here SIMS AM7 Template Change resultset script

If you want to go that route and need help, give me a shout. For a simple run one report kind of task, you could also use something like AutoIT.

p.s. to EG
    Last edited by vikpaw; 11th May 2013 at 03:16 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread