+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, SIMS Messaging and incomplete registers in Technical; Just wondering how many of you use the SIMS messaging service to remind staff of their incomplete registers, and whether ...

Thank Post

SIMS Messaging and incomplete registers

Just wondering how many of you use the SIMS messaging service to remind staff of their incomplete registers, and whether you find it effective?

One issue we have is that few staff empty their inboxes. As Admin, is there any way I can see how many messages they have in their inboxes and (ideally) empty them (obviously after letting them know that this will happen!)?

Thank Post
    we find that sims messaging is not effective as the teachers just ignore the beeps when they log into sims.

You need the backing of slt to put a rocket up the you know what as these messages are important and could become a CP issue.

Thank Post
    Thanks Round2it, we use actually email at the moment but SLT are wondering whether SIMS messages would be more effective .....

Thank Post
    when you send a message the pc beeps to remind the teachers that messages have been sent. Make sure Senior Team get behind you when implimenting

Thank Post
    If teachers ignore email I'd say they'll ignore a SIMS message. As has been said SLT need to exert influence.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,487 Times in 1,234 Posts
    We do, but it's rare they forget. The beeps are annoying and if they are nearby they work it out, plus some even answer the messages. Usually email is easier though as the main ones we are worried about are the AM reg, and they usually log off and move to a different class after 10 mins. The Lesson registers are less enforced.

Normally they don't do it due to technical issues, and so they send a paper register down anyway.

If they need chasing, more often than not a quick email from the admin office elicits an excuse why it wasn't possible.

@ICTLady - you can go in and manage messages, this feature was well requested here and on SupportNet and eventually implemented. Go to Tools and Housekeeping then Manage Messages. Assuming you have the correct permissions.

You can search by person to see how many messages they have in their inbox. Go into each one, sort by subject, and delete the missing register messages only, or anything else you wish. This then gets logged underneath.

7. Thanks to vikpaw from:

ICTLady (7th May 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanks so much @vikpaw, extremely helpful information for a SIMS newbie, as always

Thank Post
    So taking this on a step.............

Is it possible to schedule the Register with Missing Marks report ? The Lesson Monitor reports don't appear in the main reports list, is there a "back route" I can use to add these to the scheduler?

BTW, thank you for all your help. Having never seen SIMS before I started my job three months ago, I've found the essential functions very easy to learn , but when it comes to the quirks and the requests from colleagues ("Can you grey out this field?", "Can you make it easier for me to award an achievement point?"), it's *really* hard to find the answers to these from the documentation. Thank heavens for supportnet and Edugeek.

Thank Post
    Why not use the homepage panel. It auto updates and can be set to report them missing a fixed time after lesson start.

Thank Post
    As all secondaries using lesson monitor seem to encounter the same problem with missing registers to a greater or lesser degree, how about an automatic Homepage panel listing all your own missing registers that stay there until the regs are taken? Or how about colouring the timeline/diary slots in the past to red if the register isn't taken? The missing registers panel is really useful as a central tool for us admins but would be great for teachers to see just how inefficient some of them are!

Thank Post
    At my old school we used Bromcom and as it was web-based I'm sure you could show the missing registers panel (equivalent) on the intranet - name and shame is useful

The thing is, you shouldn't have to. You need support from someone in SLT and give them the panel and tell them to send the messages. They have approved and paid for the system, they should enforce it if they want to, otherwise what's the point of paying for LM.

Reminding staff seems pointless, it should be a part of routine, like turning up, teaching, getting coffee from the staff room.

They have a list of registers on their homepage, well assuming the system is working and the server isn't crippled, but when things are normal, they have a reminder already. If you're going to make it flash red, you might as well, make it auto-open for them and move the mouse over the first row, or pre-fill present marks, so they just have to adjust and click save. Where will it end?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread