+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
MIS Systems Thread, Sims change request for MSI please vote in Technical; Originally Posted by localzuk The hate is down to the refusal to listen to their users. Unless its in the ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,745 Times in 2,319 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    The hate is down to the refusal to listen to their users. Unless its in the form of a CR, which is impossible to find on their site for other people to vote on, and if you leave it a while, it disappears through inactivity.
    That and I'll bet that you aren't paying Pearson-Heinemann an exorbinent yearly fee not to listen to you. Our MIS systems here are similar, huge bill for support which never comes or is that useless you may as well not have bothered. Ours is still using an Access DB. They did eventually release an MSI for their system files but it needed to be installed remotely on a certain patch level of XP not to drop out with an error so you still need to do it manually anyway.

From what I have heard on here is very much the same, they demand money for support and development then they only do what they want to anyway. You just end up paying people to be mean to you which is generally not pleasant to the majority of the bell curve.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,447 Times in 1,200 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by free780 View Post
    That's when you need sccm.
    I first read that as scorn and didn't think anything of it!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,110 Times in 849 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Some good points there, can't really argue with them.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,447 Times in 1,200 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkeh View Post
    I think its that this particular issue sums up Capita's attitude.
    We asked for an msi, they looked at it, said they would do it, then u-turned and told us they knew better than us and came out SOLUS 3, which has generated no small amount of stress among us, and refuse to comment on the msi thing.
    With regards to commenting on the MSI thing, i did ask the question of them at BETT 2012, and for a variety of reasons the report it was going to be published in was delayed and unfortunately still hasn't made it to your screens. It was due to come out before the last BETT but again was delayed.

I should have extracted useful info and just posted up certain extracts directly on here, apologies for not doing so sooner.

Bear in mind this response is dated Jan 2012 and was from an interview I had with Graham Cooper, Head of Product Management and Jonathan Wood, Product Manager Deployment and Technical at BETT 2012

When asked about an MSI this was Jonathan's response:

With regards to SOLUS 3 and some of the issues, members have requested an MSI, can you tell us
    if that is on the cards?
    It’s fair to say, that the rollout of SOLUS 3 hasn’t been as smooth as we wanted unfortunately. We have extended the support date for SOLUS 2 that has moved to Summer 2013 so there’s a greater time span to move over now.

What people are really requesting is a package that they can deploy themselves, whether that’s by Group Policy or using third party tools to push out. We normally find that’s the case with secondary schools that have their own IT budgets, like many of the EduGeek members. The vast majority of other schools around the UK do not have that budget and we think SOLUS 3 is the right tool for them to ease the upgrade of SIMS throughout their site.

Specifically regarding those schools with IT teams who can competently address the issue of upgrades for a number of systems around their school, SOLUS 3, we believe will do the job, however, an option we’re considering is to enable SOLUS 3 as a downloadable option as well. That’s not confirmed, but it’s an option we’re considering and that would allow you to download the update package which you can distribute yourself. The form of it, whether it’s an MSI package or another type of file, has yet to be decided, but that’s something we’re looking at.
    Last edited by vikpaw; 6th May 2013 at 01:46 PM. Reason: layout

5. Thanks to vikpaw from:

sparkeh (6th May 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    Ok, so again how is that different? You still can't deploy to machines that aren't physically there/on with MSI. You can redeploy them at your leisure with either solus 3 or MSI. If you're having that level of difficulty then can I assume you've yet to install solus 3.5?
    We do have SOLUS3.5 installed, if thats the most recent update? I think it broke scheduled deployment here actually - anyone else been using it to deploy scheduled updates, which never actually happen? The scheduled time occurs, but the deployment doesn't trigger.

We but gave up with SOLUS3 ages ago and haven't tried since (I was happy to get rid of the bloatware that is the solus3 agent too). Might be better now (anyone know?), but Capita released it in a state that was awful and it would appear forced our LEA (presumably others) to install it in schools despite them knowing it was absolutely full of holes. Once bitten twice shy I think is the saying that fits.

Meldrew

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123