+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, Sims change request for MSI please vote in Technical; Originally Posted by Michael I agree that it would require a lot of coding and modifications, but Capita are a ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,859 Times in 1,252 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    I agree that it would require a lot of coding and modifications, but Capita are a huge organisation.
    Not always a benefit when undertaking projects

Obviously I don't know the internal workings of Capita but even agreeing to take on a project like this could prove to be a complex bureaucratic task itself.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    It also opens the way to having an MIS system accessible on any OS or device that has browser support.
    That's not the way forward, capita and their partners do quite nicely in selling schools other products to access the same data.

Thank Post
    I have voted too, but here I have a program I wrote (c#) that I run which monitors the solus3 agent temporary extract directory and pulls out the MSIs (along with some other stuff that can be safely ignored). I only have solus 3 agents on 2 machines here, the server and my PC (out of SIMS running on about 200 PCs). I simply start the deployment, fire up my monitor program on my PC (I called it solus3 harvester) and wait. When the agent has installed the client software on my PC, I pull the MSI out, push it out to a test PC to check it works and then distribute it across the network to clients which need it - simples.

If anyone would like a copy, let me know.

Meldrew

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,648 Times in 2,049 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkeh View Post
    Not always a benefit when undertaking projects

Obviously I don't know the internal workings of Capita but even agreeing to take on a project like this could prove to be a complex bureaucratic task itself.
    Knowing someone who worked there, such a change would definitely be a bureaucratic nightmare. The words used to describe Capita's internal runnings were "if you want to innovate, you won't get anywhere, if you tie the party line and just do what you're told you'll do well".

I suppose it comes down to the old phrase "big ships turn slowly".

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by vikpaw View Post
    Voted, and agreed. Did you see my post on supportnet regarding their view on adding audit trail?
    i did and i agree

i also found two county support units are calling for audit trails as change requests so voted for them as well

im sure there must be some legal requirement under the dpa for it i just cant nail down the relevant section "Yet!"

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,487 Times in 1,234 Posts
    @woodham if you have the CR numbers i'll go and support. Can't currently get on due to an error at their end, and don't fancy the nightmare of a CR search.

As for the web-based MIS, i'm sure it's being worked on, but in the meantime they do offer SLG (Don't shout at me, i'm just saying) which allows web reg. Plus there are add-ins from TASC and Bromcom which will do it also. So there's enough out there that they can work on the major project rather than rushing to get a single module up in a hurry.

Thank Post
    There is pro solution which has a basic web part and a msi based client.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,173 Times in 900 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Knowing someone who worked there, such a change would definitely be a bureaucratic nightmare. The words used to describe Capita's internal runnings were "if you want to innovate, you won't get anywhere, if you tie the party line and just do what you're told you'll do well".

I suppose it comes down to the old phrase "big ships turn slowly".
    As an ex employee - nail hit on the head.

Anyway on topic I have to ask "what for". People don't bat an eyelid when software doesn't come MSI'd and they spend an hour or so doing it themselves. Why is it different for SIMS? (That's rhetorical, it isn't different, but I'm asking why people think it's any different)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    Anyway on topic I have to ask "what for". People don't bat an eyelid when software doesn't come MSI'd and they spend an hour or so doing it themselves. Why is it different for SIMS? (That's rhetorical, it isn't different, but I'm asking why people think it's any different)
    I'd answer by saying using SOLUS3 doesn't take an hour or so, its hours and hours of bashing your head against a wall. It works okayish in a small environment, eg small primary school where all clients will be switched on and users informed not to use SIMS, but for installation on say 200 clients, many of which not onsite at the same time, its a nightmare. For upgrading the server however - it works quite well. The distribution to clients is the problem.

Meldrew

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Ok, so again how is that different? You still can't deploy to machines that aren't physically there/on with MSI. You can redeploy them at your leisure with either solus 3 or MSI. If you're having that level of difficulty then can I assume you've yet to install solus 3.5?

Thank Post
    That's when you need sccm.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    As an ex employee - nail hit on the head.

SIMS isn't special, msi deployment is preferable for all software. Its the standard created by MS to deploy software to MS OS's. why wouldn't you follow it?
    Some advantages:
    • Standard install/uninstall/upgrade procedure including handling permissions.
    • Standard patching procedure
    • Management and reporting - you can easily collect install state, features/versions/patches installed.
    • Rollback if install failure
    • Logging to windows logs
    • Self heal for damaged installations
    • Can be advertised for on demand installations

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by free780 View Post
    That's when you need sccm.
    Not much good without the MSI (Already use SCCM to good effect)

It's not so much "why don't they do it" which we all believe including myself would be nice, it's just the amount of hate people levy towards Capita for not doing it that I find odd. There's been far worse after all, I'm sure many of us remember trying to package any crap from Pearson-Heinemann back in the day before they realised the error of their ways.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I think its that this particular issue sums up Capita's attitude.
    We asked for an msi, they looked at it, said they would do it, then u-turned and told us they knew better than us and came out SOLUS 3, which has generated no small amount of stress among us, and refuse to comment on the msi thing.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,648 Times in 2,049 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Not much good without the MSI (Already use SCCM to good effect)

It's not so much "why don't they do it" which we all believe including myself would be nice, it's just the amount of hate people levy towards Capita for not doing it that I find odd. There's been far worse after all, I'm sure many of us remember trying to package any crap from Pearson-Heinemann back in the day before they realised the error of their ways.
    The hate is down to the refusal to listen to their users. Unless its in the form of a CR, which is impossible to find on their site for other people to vote on, and if you leave it a while, it disappears through inactivity.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast