+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, Recommend a good MIS in Technical; Hello I am working in a new private international school. At present, as we are small, we are using good ...

Thank Post

Recommend a good MIS

Hello I am working in a new private international school.

At present, as we are small, we are using good old excel and google Apps as our MIS

For September we are planning a big expansion - hopefully over 600 children (from Reception to Year 10) and therefore need a good system - especially for pupil registration, attendance etc. and ideally with behaviour management, assessments and reporting capabilities. A good timetabling module would be an added bonus.

I have used and managed SIMS in my previous 'life' in the UK - but unless it has changed dramatically in the last 2 years would be looking for something that can work with many different devices - think iOS and Android tablets. Ideally something that is accessibly by teachers when they go home - so if they choose to the can update assessments etc.

A few months ago I got a quote from Bromcom for their cloud hosted service - but after seeing some comments on the internet recently I am not sure if they are still 'alive'.

Suggestions welcome
    Stuart

Thank Post
    Hi,

There are a number of options that use a browser based system for access on any device. 3sys (WCBS Pass), iSams to name but two. If your school is boarding, with things like laundry services etc, then whatever you choose needs to be able to either plug into these systems, or have its own way of managing them. Theres nothing worse than having 2 or 3 systems and trying to get them to work.

I'm in a similar position here, and we're just embarking on the MIS hunt, after using an internally developed web MIS for a few years. We're part of a larger group of schools, so we don't have total freedom to choose. 3Sys seems favourite for the group. We'll see.

Thank Post
    Thankfully we are not a boarding school - but i have just realised there are two extra nice to have requirements:

1) Students financial accounts - tuition fees etc and how much they have made, when next payment due etc
    2) Maintaining bus lists - with 600+ children we will be looking at 20 to 30 buses to manage

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sraper View Post
    2) Maintaining bus lists - with 600+ children we will be looking at 20 to 30 buses to manage
    This can be managed, like duties for staff etc, as a 'lesson' within the timetabling module in most MIS systems. You just create an extra lesson at the end of the day, make it a vertical lesson, which makes it open for all students, and then populate as needed. This means all staff can have access etc.

J

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,487 Times in 1,234 Posts
    I'd say Aspen but Fees management is still not fully fledged yet.
    iSAMS, doublefirst , Pearson, ...
    Have you seen the sticky thread about the dfe? Some good info and a list there.
    Also, worth looking at Arbor

6. Thanks to vikpaw from:

TheScarfedOne (2nd May 2013)

Thank Post
    Hi Stuart,

Bromcom are very much alive - if they weren't, I'd be out of a job!

They also tick all the boxes of what you require.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by vikpaw View Post
    I'd say Aspen but Fees management is still not fully fledged yet.
    iSAMS, doublefirst , Pearson, ...
    Have you seen the sticky thread about the dfe? Some good info and a list there.
    Also, worth looking at Arbor
    Arbour's product does look interesting just never been able to see a working demo of it. I would look for references off other international schools as different providers have very different attitudes towards international schools. I work for ScholarPack and we are always happy to give out references, so you would hope other providers would be just as forthcoming.

Thank Post
    Not seen a demo either, but loved the idea of plugging in a RasPi into existing system and seeing all the data fly into the cloud to create your personal product demo with your own info.
    They are planning to go live with a number of institutions here in KSA this coming year from what i've heard.

Thank Post
    ... and you would just plug it in and not worry about where that data ended up? Don't try this at home!

Thank Post
    It's in the clouds how is that not safe?

Thank Post
    as far as I know they are not a SIMS partner so that would be impossible with their system and pretty much all other systems I have seen. You can get all this data out of sims but you need to get all the CTF's and do about 10 reports manually. There are a few MIS's that you could pretty much rip everything out of the database then import directly, however most schools will be coming from SIM's in my experience. Depending on school size this would also be very slow on a pie, mainly due to the number of database writes.

Thank Post
    Wouldn't need to be a partner if all data is extracted via regular user level reports. Whether that's enough is another question. Like you say, some stuff is manual.
    I'm actually shocked to hear that some suppliers still request CSV files and spreadsheets from the school to do the migration, but i guess that's the way it works.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vikpaw View Post
    I'm actually shocked to hear that some suppliers still request CSV files and spreadsheets from the school to do the migration, but i guess that's the way it works.
    Agreed, or even worse say they can only use a CTF file and that is all they will migrate... School are not happy with that they want it all.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sraper View Post
    Thankfully we are not a boarding school - but i have just realised there are two extra nice to have requirements:

1) Students financial accounts - tuition fees etc and how much they have made, when next payment due etc
    SchoolBase is good on both of these.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,427 Times in 1,776 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ketlane View Post
    SchoolBase is good on both of these.

I agree. Schoolbase has what you are looking for and quite a number of international schools amongst it's clients. We are a UK independent using them for fees, etc

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast