+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, SIMS timetabling question in Technical; God...I just know that I am not going to explain this very well...but here goes. Admin came up with a ...
    Thank Post

SIMS timetabling question

God...I just know that I am not going to explain this very well...but here goes.

Admin came up with a question yesterday, and I have my suspicions that what they want to do isnt possible, so wondered if anyone knew before I start looking at it.

We have some students who are out on college courses on certain days, this means that they miss specific lessons. For example, we might have a student who is enrolled on course Science 1 , this means he has a Science 1 lesson as per the course , on Monday period 2, Wednesday period 3 and Friday period 5. However, he is on the college course for Monday period 2 and so isnt in school.

Now..on the timetable for him it shows he should be in science 1 for mon p2, wed p3, fri p5. What admin want is for it to show only wed p3 and fri p5 for this particular student, with mon p2 showing as nothing (as he is at the college).

I am not sure if thats possible or not, as I was under the impression that as far as its concerned , someone is either a member of a course or isnt. Not that they are a member of a course, but not on this specific period during the week, but are in the other periods.

Absolutely bloody awful explanation, but hope it kind of gets it across.

Anyone know if such a thing is actually possible?

Thank Post

Re: SIMS timetabling question

I don't see how it could be done without making them different classes. The student is a member of the class, the timetable for that class is retrieved when you view their timetable.

If it could be done, I wouldn't dare tell anyone anyway

Thank Post

Thats exactly what I figured, the only way I could see of doing it would be to have "alternate" classes identical to the original class but with the college periods missing. Which, although possible, seems like alot of hassle to go through what with marksheets and so on, for a seemingly small issue.

Thank Post

A small issue, solved with a pen! Take students printed timetable, cross out the unwanted lessons. :P

Thank Post

Sir ! Your adaptability astounds me ! Surely this flexible use of writing instruments should be studied wide across the land !

Thank Post

The trouble is that all the blanking and non-class codes are done in Nova-T 6 while student assigments are done in Academic Management in SIMS.net proper.

As you say, the only way of doing what is asked for an electronic student timetable is to create a dummy course 'At College' and assign students to it on the relevant days. This might cause problems with pupil reconcilliation in the Spring Census though.

If this is for registers then all you would have to do is bulk entries of code B (i.e. educated off-site) in Attendence. You Lesson-Monitor/Register should then show the B in the class register of the class the student would have been in if he wasn't going to college.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread