+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, Staff accessing cover registers in Technical; Morning all, I don't know if this is an issue or not, or if this is simply how Sims works. ...

Thank Post

Staff accessing cover registers

Morning all,

I don't know if this is an issue or not, or if this is simply how Sims works.

I've had a couple of staff raise issues with accessing registers.

For both staff, they are doing a cover for a registration and have tried to access the register through the Sims homepage (as you be able to if accessing a register for a normal lesson). When either member of staff selects the cover, nothing happens. If they try to access a normal lesson in this way it works perfectly fine.

They can, however, access the register if they go through the "take register" option and then search for the cover lesson, it would just be nice if they could access the register via the homepage for ease of use (plus it would give me a higher chance of actually getting the register completed).

Hope this makes sense, any suggestions any one has would be gratefully received.

Iain

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,400 Times in 1,160 Posts
    Hi @Iain.Faulkner
    This is not normal behaviour, you should be able to click on covered classes and take the register, however there is one caveat, if the reg period is a NCC. It is covered for ease of managing staff, but practically there are no kids there, so you do have to go in manually and find the actual registration group for AM.

Cover 7 - Registration period on the timeline on the Homepage
    KBA-09564-W5W5P3
    Notes
    Registration period on the timeline on the Homepage.

Cover periods appear in yellow on the timeline, including non teaching periods.

Where Reg is entered as non class codes in Non Teaching periods, these now appear on My Classes Today

NCC cover now appears on the timeline

When a teacher is covering a Reg period which is a non class code on the absent teacher's timetable, this apears on the timeline, but it is not possible to click on this period to take the register
    Workaround
    Reg periods which appear on the Homepage usually come from Lesson Monitor and pick up student memberships from Pastoral Groups. The teacher can double click on the cell to Take Register.

Reg periods in Cover are usually NCCs in Non Teaching periods - No students belongs to them so when they appear on the time line it is not possible to click and Take Register. Please use Focus | Lesson Monitor | Take register to mark these registers.

3. Thanks to vikpaw from:

Iain.Faulkner (29th April 2013)

Thank Post
    That's brilliant, thanks @vikpaw

Thank Post
    Just a bit of a follow up on this.

Since the Spring Update, with the new style timeline/homepage, Staff have raised the issue that they cannot see certain lessons when they access Take Register either.

Scenario, Head of English this morning has been put on a cover for registration. Same as my first post on this, in that it appears in his timeline in yellow, but when he double clicks on it, nothing happens. So he tries to access it through the Take Register Icon. On the screen that comes up through this, on the timeline, he still can only see the lessons for which he is regularly timetabled (even lessons that are PPA time no longer appear in here). I think, prior to the Spring release, this wasn't the case and you could access the cover registration period from this second timeline, however it is now no longer the case.

Again, is this normal behaviour? Why have capita decided to make this change which has led to confusion with a number of our staff? I appreciate staff can get to the cover registration by searching for the class, but it's yet another step in a process that seems unnecessary.

Any thoughts would be gratefully received

Thanks

Iain

Thank Post
    I don't know whether it's related Iain but you now have to search for your own name, not the name of the teacher you're covering in the take register bit

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,400 Times in 1,160 Posts
    As per that article it will only allow you to take the register if it's not a NCC ( non class code). First we need to determine if it's an NCC, if so, then it's supposed to be like that. Though it should show up in the second timeline.

In your first post, they were able to use the second timeline for taking a covered register, but now it's not working is that right? In this case, it's probably not an NCC, and you should log the case with support. It should be the same every time, and repeatable, otherwise something fishy is going on.

One thing i would bear in mind though, is that if you've already got the Take Register screen open, it doesn't update (refresh), when you click through from either the homepage or Take Register icon / menu button. It could be possible if its already open, and the cover is updated later, the homepage updates but the other screen doesn't. It's best to close the Take Register screen so it is forced to re-open.

We had that a few times where the teacher pulled up the screen from the wrong day and got confused.

8. Thanks to vikpaw from:

Iain.Faulkner (20th May 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by vikpaw View Post
    As per that article it will only allow you to take the register if it's not a NCC ( non class code). First we need to determine if it's an NCC, if so, then it's supposed to be like that. Though it should show up in the second timeline.

In your first post, they were able to use the second timeline for taking a covered register, but now it's not working is that right? In this case, it's probably not an NCC, and you should log the case with support. It should be the same every time, and repeatable, otherwise something fishy is going on.

One thing i would bear in mind though, is that if you've already got the Take Register screen open, it doesn't update (refresh), when you click through from either the homepage or Take Register icon / menu button. It could be possible if its already open, and the cover is updated later, the homepage updates but the other screen doesn't. It's best to close the Take Register screen so it is forced to re-open.

We had that a few times where the teacher pulled up the screen from the wrong day and got confused.
    Thanks Vik,

You're correct in that not being able to do the register through the second timeline is a new addition to the overall problem....in fact it has only occurred since we implemented the Sims Spring Release last week. I thought something similar to you ont he refreshing of the screen, however even if the user exits Sims.net completely and reopens it all, they still get the same problem.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread