+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, CommandReporter script to export all staff and students in Technical; Hi all, I'm looking for a script which is hopefully relatively straightforward. I'd like to run CommandReporter.exe every day (via ...

Thank Post

Question CommandReporter script to export all staff and students

Hi all,

I'm looking for a script which is hopefully relatively straightforward. I'd like to run CommandReporter.exe every day (via scheduled task) and have it produce me an XML file which I can then manipulate with PHP.

I'd like the script, if possible, to produce the following information:

Staff
    • Firstname
    • Surname
    • Subject?
    • Role?

Student
    • Firstname
    • Surname
    • UPN
    • Intake Year
    • Registration Group

Does anyone have such a script currently working that I might be able to have a look at? I've fiddled with CommandReporter.exe before, albeit some time ago. If I remember correctly, I had to send it some parameters in the form of an XML file?

Thanks in advance,
    Duncan

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,197 Times in 812 Posts
    Hi @dunc

CommandReporter is simply a CLI method of running SIMS reports. You create a report in SIMS via the usual method (Reports > Design Report) then you run command reporter passing it the name of the report with the "/report" argument. e.g. if you created a report called Export Students, the command to run it via CommandReporter would be:

Code:
    CommandReporter.exe /user:username /password:password /report:"Export Students" output:"path\to\save\file.xml"

Or if you're using AD authentication to login to SIMS:

CommandReporter.exe /trusted /report:"Export Students" /output:"path\to\save\file.xml"
    If the data you need is going to be the same every time (i.e. you apply the same set of filters), it'll be much easier to set these filters in SIMS rather than via XML. Just add the filters you want to the report in SIMS but don't tick "prompt at runtime", then whenever you run the report those filters will be applied.

As for running it as a scheduled task - create a BAT file containing the call and add it to your server's scheduled tasks as you would any other program

3. Thanks to LosOjos from:

dunc (24th April 2013)

Thank Post
    Perfect, cheers LO

Thank Post
    If you go to http://www.beaconhillcott.net then you could download some software I wrote some time ago which will enable you to run SIMS reports remotely. It does use Glassfish though but you can get the results of the report via webservices and WSDL, this is what I use. As long as you are not bothered with the time it takes for a report to run, you will never get the same response as direct access using SQL.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread