+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, Attendance - Fire DRills in Technical; Hi. Networked or web based MIS provide for input of attendance data direct from the classroom rather than by the ...
    Thank Post

Attendance - Fire DRills

Hi.

Networked or web based MIS provide for input of attendance data direct from the classroom rather than by the Class registers.

I would be interested in hearing from anyone who uses direct input what your procedures are, for taking a roll call, for fire drills , and god forbid in a real emergency, when no manual registers exist ?

It has been suggested that the registers are printed out from the MIS every session ? - this would go down very well with our hard pressed office staff !!!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Re: Attendance - Fire DRills

If the emergency evacuation bell sounds, our attendance officer just prints out the registers and then leaves the building like everyone else. We're using SIMS.net.

Thank Post

We are using PARS.net here. We have been running off the registers in a blind panic in the event of a drill until now. However, PARS does have a fire module, and I have just bought a shiny new Tablet PC to run it on - though I haven't tried it yet

Andy

Thank Post

Thanks for the replies so far

Can see that printing off the registers is OK for a planned fire drill but not for every Registration period (let alone Lesson Attendance)

Not sure that if in a real emergency - the leaving of a "sacrificial lamb" to stay and print off the class registers for 1900 pupils is a safe option.
    Chances may be that the Network is down , the server and router have gone down or the printer may be out of paper !!

Perhaps the old Class registers should be completed as well as electronically ? ;-)

Will have to check with DCFS/. LA Attendance guidance perhaps ? - no douibt this is years out of date !!

Thank Post

Unions would kick up a fuss if 'real' registers had to be taken as well as it is duplication and they get very fussy! I'm not sure if anything has been sorted here, for drills we do the panic print off, beyond that I'm not sure. As others have said I would be wary of relying on an electronic access version as if the fire were to take out infrastructure then it fails.

But I have no answers so pretty useless sorry!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Locally connected printer with high PPM, UPS, always filled with paper... what much more can we do?

Thank Post

We took advice from the local fire brigade and LEA when installing our electronic registration system. We were informed that in the even of a fire we should simply evacuate the building.

We were told that there was no need to print a register and do a rollcall because the fire brigade MUST do a thorough search of the building upon arriving on site.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,588 Times in 1,391 Posts
    Blog Entries

Well it would help if they know who they are looking for and with a register they maybe a clue were they are.

Thank Post

@FN-Greatermanchester: You would think but that is what they told us. Besides, who's to say that kids won't disappear between the classroom and assembling on the yard?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,588 Times in 1,391 Posts
    Blog Entries

fair point

Thank Post

This is a question I have always wondered myself.

My first incling would be a tablet PC connected wirelessly to the server where the registers can be checked - however in order for this to be fool-proof - i think in addition it would be good to put the server in a fireproof housing/cuboard/safe (gives at least upto 1 hour protection in some cases)

However, we are still relying on electronics. Therefore the following solution would suit all...

Teachers take registers in classrooms through their MIS system which is linked to the admin office MIS system. The admin office check their MIS system to ensure that all registers are complete and then confirm thier registers - doing so they can also print out the registers for thier Dinners/Attendance and also to keep a paper record. This will then be avilable for fire drills.

Thank Post

This is a question I have always wondered myself.

My first incling would be a tablet PC connected wirelessly to the server where the registers can be checked - however in order for this to be fool-proof - i think in addition it would be good to put the server in a fireproof housing/cuboard/safe (gives at least upto 1 hour protection in some cases)

However, we are still relying on electronics. Therefore the following solution would suit all...

Teachers take registers in classrooms through their MIS system which is linked to the admin office MIS system. The admin office check their MIS system to ensure that all registers are complete and then confirm thier registers - doing so they can also print out the registers for thier Dinners/Attendance and also to keep a paper record. This will then be avilable for fire drills.

Thank Post

doesnt allow for people leaving and entering site..

PARS had a fire module at some point in the past - you kept it connected in it's dock synced up, and then say the receptiontist grabs it on the way out.

Thank Post

Interesting point. I used this as an argument for keeping our manual registration but one solution springs to mind if it is possible to get SIMS to automatically produce a Register Report which could be saved on-line. It would then be possible to print it out from a safe building.

Edit: I've just realised a potential problem with this and that's arrivals after the report has been printed but in our school, they have to report to reception, so I suppose their names could go in a book.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,496 Times in 1,342 Posts

think in addition it would be good to put the server in a fireproof housing/cuboard/safe
    Hows that going to work without frying the server?

Ben

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast