+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, Solus just deletes upgrade files in Technical; I've downloaded the 2013 Spring release and did an upgrade to a trial migration of SIMS to SQL 2012 and ...

Thank Post

Solus just deletes upgrade files

I've downloaded the 2013 Spring release and did an upgrade to a trial migration of SIMS to SQL 2012 and Windows 2012 without issues but at that time did not upgrade our live system. Now every time I copy the upgrade files back to our setups directory and run solus, no downloads are found, obviously, but it also deletes the files I've copied back into the setups directory and shows no upgrades available. This is using solus 2. The trial migration to 2012 is on a different server so should not have affected our live system on Windows 2003 and SQL 2008 R2.

Any clues?

I haven't as yet asked for the upgrade to be re-released.
    Last edited by bantonia; 23rd April 2013 at 12:13 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,438 Times in 1,191 Posts
    SOLUS 2 will check online for upgrade files, download them to a random folder name and then apply them. i guess you can't fool it, as the online part reports nothing found. i'd have thought like you putting the setup files back in would work if it was in the random named folder but i guess it has to match something at runtime. I'm not sure if some .ini file or log files is also updated somewhere.

What i would do, is put the individual setup files into the main setups folder, i.e. out of the random folder name structure, and then run dbupgrade. This is how i normally do test setups, using the ISO. This should find the files and run them to upgrade your system.

Bear in mind this method may be frowned upon by your support team.

Thank Post
    Similar to what I was thinking. If I copy the contents of my upgraded 2012 setups directory into my live SIMS setups directory then do a dbupgrade from the random named folders, there is a patch as well. Will that do the job?

As for being frowned upon, well, that's Capita.

Thank Post
    dbupgrade will just update the database, to make sure everything around SIMS is upgraded I'd run dbupgrade, SIMSApplicationSetup, SIMSManualSetup & SIMSSQLApplicationSetup

Thank Post
    Well, my issue is that there are 3 of each named similar to "SIMSApplicationSetup 1.612.33.0 to 1.614.19.0 Upgrade.EXE", obviously with different upgrade versions and upgrade targets, SIMSApplicationSetup being one.

SIMSApplicationSetup just upgrades the client, SIMSAMPARKSetup upgrades bits for Assessment Manager on the client and SIMSManualSetup installs the manuals to the client so those are fairly understandable. SIMSSQLApplicationSetup however does update the tools on the server so yes I agree this would need to be executed after the copy.

Just talked to Capita service desk, copy the .EXE files from my trial 2012 setups directory, run SIMSSQLApplicationSetup.EXE on my live system and do the dbupgrade using the files from the randomly named folder. Not to run SIMSCentralServerSetup.EXE as it is not a new install. The patch is for the previous version so needs to be applied first.

So, this is what I will be doing this evening.

Thanks for the support and chat.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,438 Times in 1,191 Posts
    When you do an upgrade it runs those version to version files, and you can follow which ones you need based on current version. You could run them manually, i think all it does is update the setups folder, so you'll bypass that. So can just run the files as you mentioned.
    The other seemingly safer (less complicated) option would be to just run the patch file using dbupgrade, and then do the update, using the update ISO. I always use those and only run SOLUS 2 to check if there are any mandatory patches listed.

Thank Post
    All went smoothly, no hitches! Well, so far.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread