+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, Corruption in the MSDB in Technical; I have just noticed that although SIMS is backing up 'apparently' ok, errors have been appearing suggesting that the job ...

Thank Post

Corruption in the MSDB

I have just noticed that although SIMS is backing up 'apparently' ok, errors have been appearing suggesting that the job was unable to update the MSDB.

Running a consistancy check against the SIMS db is fine, but the a consistency check against the MSDB fails almost immediatley. Our backups are Veem which backs up the host, and i don't know how far back to go to avois the corruption.

Aplogies my understanding of SQL is limited, Is there a way to rebuild the MSDB without impacting on the SIMS data?

Cheers!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,384 Times in 1,146 Posts
    I'm no expert but maybe the Veem user / service doesn't have enough permissions over the server to update the table. Not quite sure what it's backing up or how.

Here is MSDB's purpose : msdb Database

It depends on what level of restore you are after, if you don't want to worry about transaction logs, then as long as you are creating a .bak backup file you can restore that using SIMS' dbattach program. This works on the same server or to another one which could have a different MSDB table, so i would just make sure your SIMS backup works on a test box.

It sounds like you're just doing a backup of the virtual server as a whole with Veeam...? I'd also want file level backup of just the database.
    Once you're happy your SIMS backup is okay, you can look at fixing the issues with MSDB. Waht sort of errors is it complaining of?

Thank Post
    Thanks for the reply, I managed to find a blog where someone had experienced similar problems, and had been able to restore the MSDB from another SQL server (same version) , which i think is what you were suggesting? I ended up doing this and recreating the maintenance jobs, and thankfully, all is now working!

I was doing file level on the SIMS DB, but not the MSDB - Lesson learned (phew!).
    Last edited by steele_uk; 22nd April 2013 at 08:53 AM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread