+ Post New Thread
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, Spring release + Server 2003 = Slow in Technical; What a mess! Hopefully this gets capita working on performance across the board on Sims, its quite bad all over....
    zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    What a mess!

Hopefully this gets capita working on performance across the board on Sims, its quite bad all over.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,665 Times in 1,450 Posts
    Blog Entries
    For those having performance issues, try this. Delete the "My SIMS Documents" folder in you Documents folder (on client machines not server). Then reopen SIMS. It has helped a few performance issues here.

Thank Post
    Would that folder not re populate again and bring same issue back in few days.

So far my opinion of Capita is even lower than it was before. Only because they have monopoly they are still around, if the market would be more competitive, they would be long gone or we would have much better service.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,381 Times in 1,143 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kcymer View Post
    Would that folder not re populate again and bring same issue back in few days.

So far my opinion of Capita is even lower than it was before. Only because they have monopoly they are still around, if the market would be more competitive, they would be long gone or we would have much better service.
    Yeah, i can't see it doing much. the only issue that could fix is if the old folder had some old / corrupt files in and the system struggled to process them. It will get recreated on next login.

I've noticed some increase in CPU usage, not directly affecting anyone, but if i try to compress a backup during the day now, it maxes out at 100% and some users can't save, this was never a problem before.

Thank Post
    When will a patch be available I have staff that cannot update the registers and I keep getting faults and timeouts all the time the processing time is 80% and above most of the day. @PhilNeal who is best to speak to so we can get this resolved as I have ofsted coming in and the attendance staff and teachers need to get access to reports quickly and SIMS is just plain not responding.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,381 Times in 1,143 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by whitejames View Post
    When will a patch be available I have staff that cannot update the registers and I keep getting faults and timeouts all the time the processing time is 80% and above most of the day. @PhilNeal who is best to speak to so we can get this resolved as I have ofsted coming in and the attendance staff and teachers need to get access to reports quickly and SIMS is just plain not responding.
    @whitejames - to EG
    It's out now. Ask your Support team - patch 18205.
    I got it this morning as a precaution in case i needed it.

Thank Post
    If any school still has major performance issues please ensure that you raise a case. We believe that the fixes should have brought CPU rates down to sensible levels.

Thank Post
    Well what a difference a patch makes. I had originally run the patch designed to improve performance from the home screen and that did help a bit but not enough. Today though i ran patch 14265 (the re-indexing patch) because we were having an issue with sims discover data transfers not working, and the CPU load has taken a jump off the cliff. It's the first time i've seen the CPU load hit 0% on that server at any point in a long time!

@PhilNeal Could this help anyone else still seeing an issue or is it likely our database was just REALLY in need of reindexing?

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    It says that the re-index patch is an option on the knowledge base article about this

If a site is having performance issues with the reporting engine and experiencing timeouts then they can choose to amend the connect.ini file to increase the CommandTimeout parameter as described earlier in this thread.

In addition there are generic approaches to improving performance on site
    1) run the Truncate Log and re-index Patch (14265)
    2) archive the attendance marks for historic years
    Anyone know how you "archive the attendance marks"?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by zag View Post
    It says that the re-index patch is an option on the knowledge base article about this

Anyone know how you "archive the attendance marks"?
    On SupportNet, Resource 20810 - Monitoring Session and Lesson Attendance handbook. Section 6 - Housekeeping rules, there is an Archive Attendance Marks section documenting it.

Roughly, there is a routine you run in SIMS .net to select the years to archive, then you run "archiveattendancemarks.exe" as a scheduled task overnight on the SIMS server to actually action the archive:

Code:
    "D:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10.SIMS2008\MSSQL\Binn\archiveattmarks.exe" /S %COMPUTERNAME%\SIMS2008 /D SIMS /U sa /P ****** /V
    The results of the archive are written in the Event log on the server.
    Last edited by Rawns; 23rd May 2013 at 09:33 AM.

11. Thanks to Rawns from:

zag (23rd May 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawns View Post
    On SupportNet, Resource 20810 - Monitoring Session and Lesson Attendance handbook. Section 6 - Housekeeping rules, there is an Archive Attendance Marks section documenting it.

Roughly, there is a routine you run in SIMS .net to select the years to archive, then you run "archiveattendancemarks.exe" as a scheduled task overnight on the SIMS server to actually action the archive:

Code:
    "D:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10.SIMS2008\MSSQL\Binn\archiveattmarks.exe" /S %COMPUTERNAME%\SIMS2008 /D SIMS /U sa /P ****** /V
    The results of the archive are written in the Event log on the server.
    When running that, I get the following :

Microsoft Windows [Version 5.2.3790]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2003 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>"D:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10.SIMS\MSSQL\Binn\ArchiveAttMarks.exe " /S SIMSSERVERNAME\SIMS2008 /D SIMS /U sa /P ******** /V

Server=SIMSSERVERNAME\SIMS2008;Database=SIMS;Uid=s a;Pwd=********;

Unhandled Exception: System.ArgumentException: The path is not of a legal form.
    at System.IO.Path.NormalizePath(String path, Boolean fullCheck, Int32 maxPath
    Length)
    at System.IO.DirectoryInfo..ctor(String path)
    at ArchiveAttMarks.Program.StartArchiving()
    at ArchiveAttMarks.Program.Main(String[] args)

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>

Any ideas? Our performance here is pretty poor, but we have a lot of years to Archive which might make a difference!

Thanks

Ben.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben-BSH View Post
    When running that, I get the following :

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>"D:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10.SIMS\MSSQL\Binn\ArchiveAttMarks.exe " /S SIMSSERVERNAME\SIMS2008 /D SIMS /U sa /P ******** /V

Length)

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>

Any ideas? Our performance here is pretty poor, but we have a lot of years to Archive which might make a difference!

Thanks

Ben.
    Odd. I assume your SIMS server is actually called SIMSSERVENAME, or it's a disguised alternative?

In the output, the SA user name contains a space.That could do it?

Thank Post
    Found a solution to this error on SupportNet:

Quote Originally Posted by SupportNet
    As per current functionality SIMS user logins do not have access rights to execute the ArchiveAttMarks.exe.
    It can be done either using Trusted login or SQL server User(sa) .
    In the help file it is mentioned as SQL server user (this does not mean Sims user).
    Sql server user is the Sa user which we use to login to the SQL server Management studio.

Help file :
    Editing the Advanced Properties for the Scheduled Task
    1. Ensure that the Task tab is displayed.
    2. Amend the text in the Run field to display the following archiving parameters.
    If you are accessing SIMS using a User Name and Password:

“C:\ProgramwFiles\MicrosoftwSQLwServer\MSSQL.1\MSS QL\Binn\ArchiveAttMarks.exe”w/Sw<SIMS SQL server\instance name>w/Dw<SIMS database name>w/Uw<SQL server user name>w/Pw<SQL server password>w/V

If you are accessing SIMS using Windows® Authentication (a Trusted User):

“C:\ProgramwFiles\MicrosoftwSQLwServer\MSSQL.1\MSS QL\Binn\ArchiveAttMarks.exe”w/Sw<SIMS SQL server\instance name>w/Dw<SIMS database name>w/Vw/T

Thank Post

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>"D:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\M
    SSQL10.SIMS\MSSQL\Binn\ArchiveAttMarks.exe" /S FAKESIMSSERVER\SIMS2008 /D SIMS /V
    /T
    Server=FAKESIMSSERVER\SIMS2008;Database=SIMS;Trust ed_Connection=yes;

Length)

Sorry, that was a typo with the space in sa, while editing out other non-wanted info.

So running with windows auth, I get the same message Tried running as sa, sysman and via Administrator on windows auth.

Thanks in advance

Ben

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben-BSH View Post

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>"D:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\M
    SSQL10.SIMS\MSSQL\Binn\ArchiveAttMarks.exe" /S FAKESIMSSERVER\SIMS2008 /D SIMS /V
    /T
    Server=FAKESIMSSERVER\SIMS2008;Database=SIMS;Trust ed_Connection=yes;

Length)

Sorry, that was a typo with the space in sa, while editing out other non-wanted info.

So running with windows auth, I get the same message Tried running as sa, sysman and via Administrator on windows auth.

Thanks in advance

Ben
    Which version of SQL are you using, R2 includes an _50 in the path too.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast