+ Post New Thread
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, Spring release + Server 2003 = Slow in Technical; Just downloaded the patch and applied it using SOLUS. Only took about 30 seconds but managed to apply it with ...
    Thank Post
    Just downloaded the patch and applied it using SOLUS. Only took about 30 seconds but managed to apply it with no issues. Started SIMS and managed to log in without needing to upgrade the client which is always a bonus. Seemed to load up the front page a lot quicker but that could be down to kicking everyone else off it before running the patch. Won't know until tomorrow but am hopeful.
    Last edited by Sam_Brown; 7th May 2013 at 08:40 PM.

2. Thanks to Sam_Brown from:

Steven_Cleaver (7th May 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,487 Times in 1,234 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Alis_Klar View Post

Just logged into supportnet for the first time ever. Can't find the article.
    It's currently dated 3rd May, so something is amiss. What might happen is that things that are flagged as 'new' get priority, so click on my profile at the top and then i think it's the display tab on the right, or one of them and increase your default number of news items. It might appear. If not, contact them and get it looked at.

Thank Post
    sims-spring13-cpu.PNG

Just thought I'd chip in here. Performance of my SIMS server has been diabolical since the Spring release. I applied patch 18148 last week Tuesday evening, and performance was much better, but only for one day

Last night, I've applied the new patch 18180, and yet this morning, once all the teachers turned up to work, my server is sat at 100% cpu again (as attached). I'm well aware my server is not the most powerful beast around, but it was just fine until this release. What actual benefit did these home page changes actually bring anyone anyway?

Thank Post
    It is better. But no where near as good as before. Still getting massive spikes on the server.

Thank Post
    I'm seeing spikes on ours, but I'm still waiting for the patch.

Thank Post
    I'm updating mine tonight, but seeing these posts are not helping.

I just hope that the internet breaks or there is a power cut or something unbelievably awful happens, so that I can spare our SIMS server for one more day...

Thank Post
    Just done the spring update last night our old server (Server 2003 R2/dual core/4Gb Ram - upgrading in summer) is struggling but closing Solus 3 helped free a bit of resources ! Think we need the old home page bringing back ! Will do a reboot tonight and see if it speeds things a little.

Thank Post
    Just to clarify - we've been told by our LEA that there were two successive patches, 18148 and 18180. Do they both do the same thing?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Quatermass View Post
    Just to clarify - we've been told by our LEA that there were two successive patches, 18148 and 18180. Do they both do the same thing?
    Not as I understand it.
    18148 was the "quick and dirty" patch, which changes the refresh interval of the homepage timeline thing to 30 mins.
    18180 is the "proper" patch, that optimizes the SQL queries run on the server.

Personally, I did both, and have noticed little improvement. Your mileage may vary. I would still do both, however, as the refresh interval being set at 5 mins (as per the original Spring release) is downright stupid. What changes that much during a day?

11. 2 Thanks to Joxta:

vikpaw (8th May 2013), zag (8th May 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanks Joxta - do you mean if I only apply 18180 I'll get the "optimisation" but still be left with mad refresh intervals?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Quatermass View Post
    Thanks Joxta - do you mean if I only apply 18180 I'll get the "optimisation" but still be left with mad refresh intervals?
    I believe so, yes.

14. Thanks to Joxta from:

Quatermass (8th May 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by barjoysee View Post
    Just done the spring update last night our old server (Server 2003 R2/dual core/4Gb Ram - upgrading in summer) is struggling but closing Solus 3 helped free a bit of resources ! Think we need the old home page bringing back ! Will do a reboot tonight and see if it speeds things a little.

thats a silly amount of CPU usage i take it that you use lesson monitor for registration must be dragging its ass.
    did capita raise any issue with the specification of your server? as i got the impression from recent seminars and the like that they are doing all these changes and wizz bang stuff but not taking into account that some schools might be running on limited hardware

16. 2 Thanks to SHimmer45:

matt40k (8th May 2013), vikpaw (8th May 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,487 Times in 1,234 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SHimmer45 View Post
    thats a silly amount of CPU usage i take it that you use lesson monitor for registration must be dragging its ass.
    did capita raise any issue with the specification of your server? as i got the impression from recent seminars and the like that they are doing all these changes and wizz bang stuff but not taking into account that some schools might be running on limited hardware
    hear hear.
    I dread to think about those poor primary schools with their SQL Express setups where the SIMS server is the only server and also does all their shared files, and is probably just a souped up Windows XP desktop machine.

18. 2 Thanks to vikpaw:

matt40k (8th May 2013), SHimmer45 (8th May 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanks again Joxta. I'll apply the upgrade and both patches; fingers crossed for a server that's still alive afterwards. Beats me why Capita can't think ahead but after 20 years of SIMS joy I'm not surprised...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by vikpaw View Post
    hear hear.
    I dread to think about those poor primary schools with their SQL Express setups where the SIMS server is the only server and also does all their shared files, and is probably just a souped up Windows XP desktop machine.
    havent alot lf primary schools already been moved over to the hosted option these days?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast