+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, Document Management Systems - Paper Free? in Technical; Is there anyone using any form of document management systems for letters etc with a view to trying to reduce ...

Thank Post

Document Management Systems - Paper Free?

Is there anyone using any form of document management systems for letters etc with a view to trying to reduce the amount of paper in the workplace.

I'm attending a webinar a week on Tuesday that is previewing such a service. I'm not sure how effective it is but looks good and as we use them for our Print management solution I thought I would share in case anyone was interested.

Arena Group - News

Let me know what you think or if you have any other solutions that you use.

Thank Post
    *Points at SIMS* - umm... SIMS can store documents\letters\whatever, if it doesn't "fit" into SIMS you have a network share. Am I missing this point of it?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,638 Times in 1,463 Posts
    Yes a network share is normally a complete un-organised mess.

Ben

Thank Post
    We use Document Logistix document management system here, we've had it for about 5 years now and works well, wouldn't say it has really reduced the amount of paper used but it makes MIS, finance and HR's life easier.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post
    That's why you have a search option lol. I'd rather get a search feature like the one included in Windows Server or to buy a Google search box, surely that's better then buying a product that requires them to upload stuff to it - which they won't do!!

Thank Post
    Have a look at Liferay, all open source and work just as well as Sharepoint if not better and its free

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,486 Times in 1,928 Posts
    Blog Entries

Ben
    It doesn't have to be - a share can be a simple DMS.

However, DMS' offer extra capabilities such as meta data describing documents, some have OCR search built in, and most have fine-control of permissions on a document by document basis (easily used too, unlike something like NTFS permissions).

Thank Post
    I agree it doesn't hence the normally because unless the users keep it that way a simple network share will end up an un-oganised out of date mess.

Ben

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,224 Times in 1,642 Posts
    I agree it doesn't hence the normally because unless the users keep it that way a simple network share will end up an un-oganised out of date mess.

Ben
    I agree. I had this argument with my school. If users can't be bothered to put things in the right folder under a normal share, why would they bother to use a paid solution properly? Every solution requires it to be used correctly by everyone; there's no magic wand that will make things organised.

Thank Post
    Capita are looking to release a product that will do this and integrate with SIMS - it's called Swordfish - I can't remember off the top of my head the costs, but it did look OK.

Thank Post
    This is becoming some what of a sales pitch thread. I think @elsiegee40 point still stands, if you're not willing to use a free solution, why would you use a paid for solution that requires more effort? I'm sure it's miles better, but its only as good as the data you put in!!

I'm not going to even get start commenting on mStore!!

Thank Post
    We use mStore and bought it from Arena, very simple to us, just resembles a digital filling cabinet.

Basically we work like this, if it is on Sims then it stays there, everything else is put on mStore, it uses a small client which runs on the machine and can do word/outlook directly or have documents scanned in, it has an export from Sims with all current and past pupils +admin information on its database, you simple add a document type, then start to type the surname it will find the user and click finish. This document is then held as a tiff against that student and is very easy to pull back.

The main point of this is audit and also no need for any filling cabinets, we have also archived all old paper documents and thrown them away (you need to make sure all of your complience documentation is correct to do this) The ico provide a template for this which the governors have to sign off.

It takes a little time to intergrate and isnt an IT think, make this very clear to the office and bursar, we help set it up, train staff and also do the archive, we now have all of admin, SEN, pastoral working on the system live.

As for Sims or Network shares, when getting into Child Protection or SEN information which must under the data protection act be only seen by specific people this system is needed, to do this on Sims would be almost impossible (although you can do permissions).

In addition you dont have the audit complience that data protection and the ICO need.

The last reason is that you have to keep any documents which could be needed in future until the student is 25, thats 11 years of archive, leave that on Sims and doc store will be enourmous.

mStore lest us set retention dates (it also works with FMS).

It is also independant, so if one day we got rid of Sims then no issue, it uses the upn information to attach to students, pop the new system in, all data is fine and then carry on.

It was quite hard to impliment but now people are starting to understand it we are starting to move along at quite an accelerated rate, we have a need due to moving into a new shoe box sized building to basically remove as much paper as possible, this has done it for us.

13. Thanks to wardsidjame from:

lionsl2005 (5th December 2013)

Thank Post
    I would have expected all the MISs in schools to have some sort of paperless document management system built in.

Thank Post
    Most do but fall very short of what is required under the law these days

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by wardsidjame View Post
    We use mStore and bought it from Arena, very simple to us, just resembles a digital filling cabinet.

Basically we work like this, if it is on Sims then it stays there, everything else is put on mStore, it uses a small client which runs on the machine and can do word/outlook directly or have documents scanned in, it has an export from Sims with all current and past pupils +admin information on its database, you simple add a document type, then start to type the surname it will find the user and click finish. This document is then held as a tiff against that student and is very easy to pull back.
    Does it store everything as a tiff or just scanned documents?

Ben

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast