+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, Solus 3 and Spring Update 2013 in Technical; Umm... @ resin1 surely you can't get the beniefts of the new S3 client until the client has updated? Agreed ...

Thank Post
    Umm... @resin1 surely you can't get the beniefts of the new S3 client until the client has updated?

Agreed it is a total arse (and I'm glad I'm not doing it anymore) but it's not as bad when it was v3.2.67!!

Thank Post
    Naturally Matt - my hope is that by having 3.5 in place before we do the Spring update, there will be less problems doing that than we have experienced with updates in the past. Did not seem to make any sense to me to do what JHLEHS has ended up doing - an update using an existing version of Solus that can't possibly be better than what is now available (can it??), that we know is less pants than it was, but still briefs all the same ;-)

Last thing I expected was to have hassle with the agent update itself.

I'm sure the folks at the likes of Bromcom and Aspen must love reading about all the hassle that this mechanism has provided - hours of endless amusement no doubt!

Thank Post
    What do you mean it does not make sense? My post said that I didn't have any choice in the matter so that was why I installed sims spring 2013 before the new solus agent.

Thank Post
    Wasn't meant to be a judgemental statement :-) You did what you needed to do in your time critical situation, and based upon what I guess the support person thought was the best advice i.e. you didn't have to have 3.5 in order to do the SIMS update, so you could go ahead with the SIMS update.

In my case I have no urgency to get the SIMS update done, but did have the time to try to get a "more reliable" Solus environment in place before I do. A laudable but laughable decision in hindsight me-thinks. I should know better by now :-)
    Last edited by resin1; 11th April 2013 at 02:02 PM.

Thank Post
    I was meant to install Solus 3.5 first as it was recommended but the Irony was that I couldn't do so and then I was able to do so after the SIMS upgrade lol. Will be looking on support net just incase they bring out a patch or a fix for solus 3.5.

Unfortunately at our school, they are very demanding and expect SIMS to be working most days of the year and kept up to date, very new to Solus and SIMS but learning lots quickly.

Thank Post
    I want to get 3.5 out to all schools before the Spring release, I cant be arsed with the rolling out of 20,000 previous SIMS updates just to get Spring installed.

I upgraded our LA DS to 3.5 without issues, and then upgraded my test environment also without issues, and it was really nice to see SOLUS3 deploy nothing else but the Spring release! The real test will be when it's in the schools that have 150 SOLUS3 agents to upgrade, and then wne Spring is released and seeing if it truly does upgrade offline devices when they next come online.
    Last edited by Rawns; 11th April 2013 at 02:23 PM.

Thank Post
    First day back for the staff and 8 computers haven't updated, is there a time out on the deployment? I am really gettting sick of every time there is a Sims update there is an issue. Why can't you force an update instead of having to ask the teachers to run the simsapplication setup to force it? At least intouch is getting sorted.

Thank Post
    Was hoping SOLUS3.5 was going to be the answer, ho hum, guess I will wait for 3.6 or 4.0 before attempting this again.

I know Capita monitor this board so can I ask the following:

Please can we just have MSIs for the upgrades? SCCM will handle the correct deployment. Ta muchly.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Simcfc73 View Post
    First day back for the staff and 8 computers haven't updated, is there a time out on the deployment? I am really gettting sick of every time there is a Sims update there is an issue. Why can't you force an update instead of having to ask the teachers to run the simsapplication setup to force it? At least intouch is getting sorted.
    If this is SOLUS3, you can force it.

Have a look at my post on another thread.

Peter

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by skunk View Post
    Was hoping SOLUS3.5 was going to be the answer, ho hum, guess I will wait for 3.6 or 4.0 before attempting this again.

Please can we just have MSIs for the upgrades? SCCM will handle the correct deployment. Ta muchly.
    I'm of the opinion that any flavor of SOLUS3 will never ever be the answer.

11. Thanks to Rawns from:

zag (17th April 2013)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Simcfc73 View Post
    I think 3.4 timed out after about a week but I could be wrong, I've been quite impressed with how 3.5 is rolling out the Solus 3.5 update to the last few computers automatically which I couldn't get to last week.

Not got up to the point of doing the Spring update yet though, so I am prepared for the usual problems.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by howartp View Post
    If this is SOLUS3, you can force it.

Have a look at my post on another thread.

Peter
    Thanks, I know about the redploy and have used it on the past.

Here is my scenario today. A computer HD has crashed so I need to redploy. After install I removed the computer from Solus 3 and re attached it (several times as it never does it the first time). Solus 3.5.0 beta installed fine but nothing else, going into the Spring update to force a redploy shows its not listed. So I try and unintall the client and it fails...

Oh and I have found that the usual trick of letting users run the simsapplication setup to fix failed solus 3 installs now doesn't work on power users, I have to do it as a administrator as a DLL is locked.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,651 Times in 1,106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Not going to happen, for some incomprehensible reason Capita won't follow industry standards and give us something that is guaranteed to work, but rather foist some broken homebrew system that p*sses everyone off on a daily basis.
    Read all about it: SIMS & MSI

15. Thanks to sparkeh from:

zag (17th April 2013)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

You don't need it to be an MSI for sccm to handle it...I already do it that way as solus doesn't work with appv being installed

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 784 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Solus 3.5 makes a lot of improvements, I've been waiting for it and I'm not disappointed. No longer having the need to backdate updates going back nearly 3 years is wonderful!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast