+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, MIS changeover in Technical; Inherited E1. I am convinced that E1 is endorsed by satan. Have the go-ahead to look for a replacement. Ive ...

Thank Post

MIS changeover

Inherited E1. I am convinced that E1 is endorsed by satan. Have the go-ahead to look for a replacement. Ive narrowed the choices to Engage, iSAMS and Schoolbase. Anyone use the above? Anyone loathe the above? Major prerequisite is that it is hosted by us and we have access to read the database independently (SQL would be ideal).

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,159 Times in 1,597 Posts
    Are you an independent school or an LA school/academy? The needs for both are a little different.

We are an independent using Schoolbase. It's not quite as intuitive as I'd like and they do seem to pander to their overseas customers slightly more than the UK ones. However, it's basically a good system.

If the system is designed right you should have no need to access the database independently and that would be my pre-requisite!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Something to keep an eye on from DfE

Worth having a look at those listed on the IMLS framework, some I imagine you have already discounted as well as spoken to.

Obviously, taking advantage of my sponsorship, Aspen is one to take a look at too. Interestingly, it meets both your requirements list... if you want it to.

Thank Post
    we are independant. The database must be accessible as we have other programs that utilise the underlying data.
    Last edited by KK20; 28th March 2013 at 11:08 AM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    So when you say other programmes do you mean third parties or in house systems?

Thank Post
    I second looking at the companies listed on the IMLS Framework, as I know some can grant underlying database access (read only) if required.

Thank Post
    I don't think being on the ILMS framework does mean that the software "does the job". It is possible to be on the framework with NO software!
    Last edited by Dos_Box; 28th March 2013 at 01:22 PM. Reason: Removed company promotion.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    So Phil, giving advice when asked as we are here, how would you suggest the OP get an easy list of other suppliers on the market? I think we can assume they have spoken to other schools locally to them, leaving them with their current 3 so far. Interesting list then already...

I don't think the OP would simply pick from the list without investigating... this list is a helpful aid to know what else is available. Like it or loathe it the DfE recognises the listed suppliers as meeting enough requirements for schools MIS. Granted you could be on the list without software based on how it was scored. Actually everyone on the list has what is considered an operational MIS solution.

I think it is critical to say that the IMLS framework, completed now over a year ago, lists 8 suppliers (I think it is) and actually every one of them currently has customers operating their MIS. So every one of them has software. I would argue each one of them is 'doing the job' for their customers too. Perhaps not for all schools, but each to their own. In that respect, the IMLS framework list is a very good place to look at the major players in the market.
    Last edited by GREED; 28th March 2013 at 01:17 PM.

LSt

Thank Post
    Does anyone know how many UK schools are currently using Aspen for their MIS?

Thank Post
    written in house (by me too). Our SMS system, after school club scheduler, school bus timetable system (that the bus company updates for issues), exam seating planner (we have people who are not on our MIS but external local candidates etc), staff holiday planner, pastoral tracker for our commendations, merits, credits, house colours etc those sorts of things (they all integrate into moodle). As for our MIS it is primarily used by our admin and SMT. It would be unlikely we would be using a large amount of MIS "parent portal" type screens as we already do what we need in moodle. The above MIS were chosen due to the modular(ish) nature so we wont need to buy/pay for the bits we wont use. I only use "read only" data for my apps and am happy to use an intermediatory table (as I have to in E1. E1 is horrific to get data out of - but it is possible!)

Just wondered if anyone had used the above and the pitfalls/strengths of them.
    Last edited by KK20; 28th March 2013 at 02:51 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LSt View Post
    Does anyone know how many UK schools are currently using Aspen for their MIS?
    I suspect that Graham may! But I would suggest you either ask him direct or take it to a PM as that has "nothing" to do with the Op's original query.
    Last edited by JohnCondon; 28th March 2013 at 02:47 PM.

Thank Post
    Had a quick poke around int he archive.
    back in 2011 JStuttard stated they were using Engage.
    not sure if he is still active or still using it though.

13. Thanks to JohnCondon from:

LSt (28th March 2013)

Thank Post
    Thats the thing, I can find very little information or people who are using it. When we have doublefirst in for a demo it looked quite good and based on the "demo data" it did everything we asked of it (and it is hosted on my existing SQL database server so no problems in getting data out). I have out found the name of one local(ish) school that uses engage so im going to try and book a visit to have a chat with them and see how they get along with it.

Thank Post
    I'm pretty sure the ILMS framework didn't specify any Indy requirements!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilNeal View Post
    I'm pretty sure the ILMS framework didn't specify any Indy requirements!
    Maybe not, but that wasn't the requirement. Either here nor IMLS. IMLS was designed to assist maintained schools and LA in their procurement processes.

Here, KK20 was asking for other providers of MIS, which the list gives them.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast