+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, Nova P5 and Word in Technical; Hi All, Does anyone out there still use Nova P5? Over the summer we upgraded our network to Windows 7 ...

Thank Post

Nova P5 and Word

Hi All,

Does anyone out there still use Nova P5? Over the summer we upgraded our network to Windows 7 and Office 2010 and ever since then, Nova P has caused us nothing but problems. SIMS support have been less than helpful too.

We can start it up fine, but once we click anything that has anything to do with the interaction of Microsoft Word (for example preview letters, print letters etc), it generates an error message (it's a generec 'access violation' style error).

What makes the issue slightly more interesting is that, if we disconnect the client workstation from the network, it then works (Word fires up exactly when it is supposed to). I know this is a very specific issue but has anyone come across this? Does anyone have any ideas? The 'network disconnect fix' is working as a temporary fix, but it is still extremely fiddly for the person responsible for the parents evenings.....

Thanks in advance
    Nick

P.S. I've taken a look at the thread here (which is similar to our issue) but unfortunatrly hasn't provided the solution: Nova P5
    Last edited by nick3young; 25th March 2013 at 12:32 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,469 Times in 1,220 Posts
    Just a thought, does disconnecting the network, force the user to create temporary files in a different location where presumably they have more access, than when on network? I know it sounds odd, but win7 does suffer with profile / permission related issues.
    What if it's on network but you log in with a local account or a admin account , possibly someone that doen't use roaming profile..

Thank Post
    Nice suggestion Vikpaw and yep, you're spot on. I created a local 'test' user on the computer and we don't have the issue.

Any ideas of where I can free up permissions for the network user? I've checked C:\Users..... both the local test user and the network user profiles are in that location with the same permissions (so it isn't obvious).

Thanks again.
    Last edited by nick3young; 27th March 2013 at 12:58 PM.

Thank Post
    Check on one of the win 7 threads.
    Appdata locallow and such like will be a good place to start. Sorry can't remember off the top of my head and at home now.

Thank Post
    Those local folders store temp files for sims, and a policy might be blockin access.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread