+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, Remote SIMS Access + InTouch in Technical; Hey Guys and Girls I have been requested to look into getting Access to SIMS on our school iPads and ...

Thank Post

Remote SIMS Access + InTouch

Hey Guys and Girls

I have been requested to look into getting Access to SIMS on our school iPads and at home.

First - Does SIMS InTouch offer this feature? I am sure it doesn't however my boss has requested I get absolute confirmation. I am going to ring Capita but may as well check while i am here :-)

Second - What do you use (if anything) to access SIMS remotely on a non domain PC with no SIMS installed. I have looked at the following options:

1. GroupCall Emerge - The App is functional but we have had constant issues, it is Apple only and costs 3k a year!
    2. Terminal Services - Quite cheap at 3.35 per FTE. Works via extra Apps that can cost (50p!) Added bonus of full desktop application provision however not small screen friendly
    3. Citrix - As 2 but more expensive
    4. Bromcom WebFolders - Expensive but funtional that I can see.

Any other ideas??

Thank Post
    Emerge is not apple only we are running it on several android based devices for our trips etc. What issue are you having? If you purchase this before the end of the month they are running a 20% march discount on a site license. If your only going to be running a small number of devices then buying a bundle of licenses may work out cheaper

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,383 Times in 1,145 Posts
    InTouch is a messaging system. It won't give you remote access.
    We use Groupcall and it works great for offline access, trips , PE etc.
    Also look at www.tascsoftware.com for access to other areas of SIMS, like reporting, assessment .. i think the module is called PARS.

Thank Post
    I have staff set up with VPN usernames and then they can dial into their own laptops, or a series of computers I have set up, and use remote desktop.

my SLT have ipads, but they only use those while in school, and I use the RDPLite client on them so they can access their desktops through them, not exactly small screen friendly, but able to take registers ok.

PE department have 3 emerge licenses that someone set up prior to me being here - they all seem to like it, just can't afford to roll that out through the whole school - but personally I'd love to have it on my note2, would make my pastoral duties a bit easier at times, as I don't have a laptop, only my desktop.

I have staff members on linux and mac osx at home, and I haven't had any issues with them connecting using RDP.

Thank Post
    We have a site licence for emerge and it is deployed to around 40 staff ipads, as well as the odd ipod.
    We have Sims SLG which lets staff log in and complete marksheets, registers, behaviour, achievement etc etc from any internet based PC in school or at home.
    We have full blown Sims in every teachers desk PC in school/
    We use InTouch as well for messaging and emailing parents, student and staff.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by trivers1982 View Post
    1. GroupCall Emerge - The App is functional but we have had constant issues, it is Apple only and costs 3k a year!
    There is an Android version of Emerge also. Can't comment on it as we don't have it, but it definitely does exist.

Thank Post
    Thanks guys/girls. I didnt know about the Android version of Emerge.

However from a New Technologies SIG meeting last night staff were most interested in having access to the full suite of SIMS including Options, Attendance, Assessment, Exams etc. So the only option I think I can look at is the VPN/RDP route. We did a demo using an ipad and RDP on as admin to show how it might work. They were very impressed about everything but the size of the screen, but thats expected.

The REALLY good news - several SLT there asked why we have not done this already and I mentioned that we just dont have a spare server to run it that is capable and powerful enough to provide Terminal services. Additionally the network core is ancient and the network infrastructure needs a refresh. This has been in my plans for months - SAN, Core upgrade and 8 OM3 Fibre runs to every Cab so each switch gets 2 fibre connections Minimum. Upon asking for a total amount I over guessed at 80k They said they will look at using the special projects budget to fund the whole lot!!!!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,383 Times in 1,145 Posts
    You could have just whacked TASC on to an IIS server somewhere, but keep schtum if you can indirectly get a much better network for yourself

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread