+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, SIMS Support - Job description in Technical; Hello, Are most of you here SIMS Support via your job description, or are you ICT technicians that have inherited ...

Thank Post

SIMS Support - Job description

Hello,

Are most of you here SIMS Support via your job description, or are you ICT technicians that have inherited the role, or maybe had it written into their Job Description.

I have not had much experience with SIMS, and it was never mentioned to me at interview (2 years ago we weren't even allowed SIMS access!) and one of the SMT manages all the SIMS upgrades. We have a contract with the LEA for support.

Recently, the SMT SIMS manager seems too busy to deal with SIMS issues and more and more they are calling upon me. I have no SIMS training and find the situation quite frustrating.

How did you become the SIMS support person?

Thanks

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,738 Times in 1,087 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: SIMS Support - Job description

People left ... someone had to pick it up ... it was previously done by the Finance Manager with a bit done by the previous NM ... I picked up his few bits (put notes on workstations not to do anything as SIMS was being upgraded and make sure stuff was backed up) but then went on courses. As each new chunk of SIMS.net came out I went as the additional person on the course ... it meant I got to see pretty much everything.

The only bit I have managed to completely avoid is timetabling. Thankfully.

Thank Post

Are there training courses available? I am happy to support products, if i have been shown the basics. Anything is better than the thrid party phone bitch that i am becoming

Thank Post

Being in a small school means that the concept of "anything with a plug is my job" is alive and well and this is how I ended up as SIMS support. We also have a support contract with the LEA, and the fellow there is quite possibly the most fantastic IT professional I have ever met!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

They are available directly from Capita for SIMS or for Northants school via Capita .ICT (which works out far cheaper since most schools in the area with SIMS have and SLA with .ICT which gives reduced costs for training).

They do train people from outside of the area but it does cost more.

Thank Post

I have found myself in a similar situation about 2 years ago, I've spent a lot of time reading the pdf help files that are provided as the are very well written and easy to follow. The only courses I really needed help with where for T6 and timetabling - they can be tricky to master.

Thank Post

If your going to get training, get them onsite as it is cheaper per head (up to 10 members of staff)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

WE have LEA support as well, each school is top sliced heftily to pay for it, hence we've always said why duplicate something we're already paying for.

Increasingly though we're being asked to do admin work with SIMS. There's talk of sending us on timetabling training - eek, run!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Yes your LEA should have a SIMS support team. You should be able to get training through them.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,035 Times in 908 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mark
    WE have LEA support as well, each school is top sliced heftily to pay for it, hence we've always said why duplicate something we're already paying for.

Increasingly though we're being asked to do admin work with SIMS. There's talk of sending us on timetabling training - eek, run!
    But don't forget Mark if WE did the timetabling then it would be 110% perfect each and every time

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by john

But don't forget Mark if WE did the timetabling then it would be 110% perfect each and every time
    John you forgot to factor in you are using nova-t so that reduces oddd's of you getting it right by 200%

Russ

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,035 Times in 908 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by russdev
    Quote Originally Posted by john

John you forgot to factor in you are using nova-t so that reduces oddd's of you getting it right by 200%

Russ
    hmmm I'm sure I hear somone in our place scream that Nova is the god over anything, then again I don't do the timetable, but seems crazy to me someone does bits in CMIS which is our MIS and then someone elses plays with the same jobs in Nova and whats the benifit? FCUK knows is all I can say seems like someone just enjoys interfearing is my view but thats SMT for you, can't just let people get on with there own jobs.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

I resemble that remark!

Nova is brilliant for coming up with new ways of doing strange things with the curriculum and still making it work.

Two week timetables with mirrored lessens except for the third and fifth week in a half-term, split classes that cross year groups, I can't even begin to explain some of the horror stories I have heard from timetablers.

Then again, some schools still do majority of it with Pen and Paper ... then plug it in to the computer just so it gets printed out easier.

Thank Post

Ended up timetabling for the last two years - we're a CMIS school - its a.. challenge.. that makes the summer term.. and the autumn... intresting.

Scheduler's not too bad at the wierd stuff - each event exists in every individual week, so its quiet easy to take one week out, and put another lesson in, or schedule a whole community day or the like. Ended up with all the CMIS stuff over the last year - just a natural progression.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread