+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, FMS - default password for a blank database in Technical; Hello chaps are school are using some sort of new extra finance system. which requires me to attach a new ...

Thank Post

FMS - default password for a blank database

Hello chaps

are school are using some sort of new extra finance system. which requires me to attach a new blank FMS database and upgrade it, before doing a few other steps.

I have managed to attach a blank FMS database and now im stuck as it wants me to upgrade it, however when im in dbupgrade i have no idea what that blank database password would be...

i tried sysman/******** and sysman/******** as someone suggested and also my sims and fms user details

any idea?

Last edited by vikpaw; 16th March 2013 at 03:33 PM. Reason: security

Thank Post
    You can have multiple databases with FMS. It allows you to run private accounts on a completely separate chart of accounts.

Thank Post
    yeah im a bit confused. i can login to DBattach with SA and my password. i see SIMS & FMS as well as the new FMS database i have just attched. however when i run DBUPGRADE i t asked for a user name and password, none seem to work. im required to update it, but i can't

Thank Post
    sysman/********?
    Last edited by vikpaw; 16th March 2013 at 03:34 PM. Reason: security

Thank Post
    no sadly not i tried that, get this error.

Thank Post
    hmm, have you tried your SA username and password?
    I know it sounds dumb with SIMS User Name and SIMS Password but its always worked for me.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostgame View Post
    hmm, have you tried your SA username and password?
    I know it sounds dumb with SIMS User Name and SIMS Password but its always worked for me.
    Yeah tried that. Really confused.

I have checked dbattach and the database is there. I can easy dB upgrade my sims and Fms. Its just this one.

Thank Post
    Have you tried detaching and then reattaching the database?

Thank Post
    In case you haven't already - try the sysman user account which you already said with passwords in CAPS - have a feeling it's either ********, ******** or ********.

It's annoying that FMS only gives you three chances to log in before it forgets the connect.ini details. Since you have a multiple database setup make sure it is still trying to log into the new (blank) database each time an not the old (non blank) one, where the password will obviously be different.
    Last edited by vikpaw; 16th March 2013 at 03:37 PM. Reason: security

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by superfletch View Post
    In case you haven't already - try the sysman user account which you already said with passwords in CAPS - have a feeling it's either ********, ******** or ********.

It's annoying that FMS only gives you three chances to log in before it forgets the connect.ini details. Since you have a multiple database setup make sure it is still trying to log into the new (blank) database each time an not the old (non blank) one, where the password will obviously be different.
    sims passwords aren't case sensitive
    Last edited by vikpaw; 16th March 2013 at 03:37 PM. Reason: security

11. Thanks to DMcCoy from:

superfletch (15th March 2013)

Thank Post
    Your not using the SIMS dbupgrade.exe are you instead of the FMS dbupgrade.exe? I don;t think it should matter but I find it always best to use the appropriate dbattach.exe/dbupgrade.exe against the SIMS or FMS database.

Re your screenshot, did you get the same error when using other logins (eg, SA) or did you get "invalid username/password" errors? The sysman/******** username & password combo is the standard login for a blank FMS database and as the error is regarding finding columns, so it looks like the login may be working but the actual database is not correct. Maybe detach the blank FMS database, delete the MDF and LDF files form the SQL Data directory, then reattach a new blank database using the FMS dbattach.exe. If you used the SIMS dbattach.exe, it may not have attached the blank database correctly.
    Last edited by vikpaw; 16th March 2013 at 03:38 PM. Reason: security

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,487 Times in 1,234 Posts

Hi guys, in light of recent attempts at fishing for security information, i moderated this thread and have removed any passwords. Better late than never.

I know it's tempting to help a colleague in need, but we need to be really careful just dishing out usernames and passwords which could be used as the first step in an attack on a school's data. I know the defaults should be deactivated in a production system, nonetheless there will be systems out there that may not be secured as well as they could, and leaving a permanent, publicly accessible record here is not wise.

The first step should always to direct the OP to SupportNet which is at least password protected and ensures the users are at active SIMS schools. Further to that, we can refer to the 'usual passwords' and it should be enough for those that know their stuff.

There have been some serious attempts at gaining access to secure install files / passwords, and even though this thread is legitimate, the information posted here could inadvertently help someone with more nefarious motives.

Hope you all understand.

Back to the problem:

Where did the blank database come from? Have you used a recent installer, or is it just one that is left over on your system. A change to the table structure could render it useful with the latest version of dbupgrade which you are using. I'd try getting the latest installable from SupportNet if you can. I think, possibly having the new blank on your live system is possibly also an issue. I don't suppose by some strange bug, the current live FMS details work do they?

Another thing you could test, is do a clean install of FMS on another SQL server, where it shouldn't ask you to upgrade the db before accessing it. Then run the upgrade there. detach and reattach the upgraded blank to your production server. This might work.

I'm not really sure how the logins work on FMS, i assume it's the same as for SIMS, and the two FMSes won't conflict. I've only ever done a secondary standalone install of FMS, we were told to keep them on separate machines because of some issue / process that could only be done on one system. This is going back 6/7 years, so things have probably improved since then.

14. Thanks to vikpaw from:

superfletch (16th March 2013)

Thank Post
    The passwords are in the release notes and installation guides. You do not need a supportnet login to get them. Just 30 seconds and google.
    Last edited by DMcCoy; 16th March 2013 at 08:17 PM.

Thank Post
    They shouldn't be in the release notes and the guides shouldn't be available publicly. I know there are a lot of places where info can be found.

We've been asked to not provide download links to the software, similarly the access to default passwords should be restricted.

Thank Post
    Apologies, i didn't realise quite how prolific the issue was. I can't believe there are that many LAs publicising install guides and default passwords, not to mention those that provide full open sources to download any and all upgrade files and patches. I don't think it's right, but if Capita are allowing it...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread