+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
MIS Systems Thread, [SOLUS3] - Out of data SIMS clients not automatically upgrading (Rant) in Technical; Originally Posted by enjay "Auto download to agents" is enabled, but with a maximum concurrent downloads of 10 - should ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by enjay View Post
    "Auto download to agents" is enabled, but with a maximum concurrent downloads of 10 - should I increase that number?

This still doesn't explain why it didn't start downloading to the clients until after I'd done the database update though. Could it be that I hadn't left it long enough for them to all download it before I scheduled the deployment?
    10 should be fine. I usually up it to 10 in bigger schools and leave it at 5 in smaller schools. How long did you wait between receiving the upgrade from your LA/Capita and actually deploying the upgrade? It depends on how many workstations you have in your environment, but I find that usually I authorise a release to a school in the morning (9/10am?) and the upgrade will start installing automatically from 7pm onwards. That gives plenty of time for all workstatiosn to get the required components before the upgrade begins (as long as the majority of workstations are online!)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawns View Post
    How long did you wait between receiving the upgrade from your LA/Capita and actually deploying the upgrade?
    I think I downloaded it from Capita towards the end of the afternoon and scheduled the deployment to run from 6am next morning. I've since found out that 6am is too late if I want PCs operational at 8:30am (unlike with Solus 2 of course).

To be honest, this is an area I'm a little unclear on, and will need to read up on before we do the Spring Update. I had some issues during the installation, so someone from Capita dialled in and he rattled through the installation, configuration and deployment schedule so quickly that I didn't really follow what he was doing, and he didn't seem willing to slow down or explain himself, even when I saw him setting options which contradicted the instructions I had downloaded. How should I schedule and deploy an update?!

Thank Post
    I think I downloaded it from Capita towards the end of the afternoon and scheduled the deployment to run from 6am next morning. I've since found out that 6am is too late if I want PCs operational at 8:30am (unlike with Solus 2 of course).

To be honest, this is an area I'm a little unclear on, and will need to read up on before we do the Spring Update. I had some issues during the installation, so someone from Capita dialled in and he rattled through the installation, configuration and deployment schedule so quickly that I didn't really follow what he was doing, and he didn't seem willing to slow down or explain himself, even when I saw him setting options which contradicted the instructions I had downloaded. How should I schedule and deploy an update?!
    Could be then that users were winding down and shutting their machines off preventing them from getting the packages?

We have enabled "auto deployment" in schools, usually set to run from 19:00-10:00. The concept is me (at the LA) release an upgrade to the school. The SOLUS3 system will then download it and push out the update packages to any workstations online. In most cases, all workstations bar the server will be switched off after 5'ish. 7pm comes and SOLSU3 upgrades everything SIMS on the server. Users come in the next morning, power on their machines and "hopefully" will get SOLUS3 agent popups to say SIMS is going to be upgraded (as the auto deploy schedule is still in effect). I set it to run to 10am because despite what Capita say, most workstations don't automatically upgrade when then come online of their own accord, if the "auto deploy" schedule is still in effect, it seems to force the upgrade down. However, it is dependent on users not having SIMS .net open at the time of the upgrade.

Thank Post
    So, what you're saying is that I should schedule the deployment for a few days into the future, giving the clients plenty of time to download the update - yes?

Thank Post
    So, what you're saying is that I should schedule the deployment for a few days into the future, giving the clients plenty of time to download the update - yes?
    Effectively, yes. It could be a few days, could be a few hours, it really just depends on the size of your estate and the online availability of your devices. Once you receive the upgrade from Capita/LA in your SOLUS3 environment, the longer you hold off rolling it out, the more devices will get the update packages before hand. There will always be some devices that are offline though!

Thank Post
    Thanks, I'll give that a try when I deploy Spring...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12