+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, Marksheets for whole year in one subject in Technical; Probably a stupid question but I am new to this so please forgive me! I've been asked to put together ...

Thank Post

Marksheets for whole year in one subject

Probably a stupid question but I am new to this so please forgive me!

I've been asked to put together a marksheet for all Y11 Science students.

I've created a template with the aspects that the teacher has asked for. I'm trying to find an appropriate marksheet to attach it to. I have one for the whole year group which I can use, but then it's not available to the Science teacher. I have ones for the individual science classes for Y11 but she would like to see them all in one marksheet.

I'm still not really clear on how marksheets are generated. I know I need several weeks with a SIMS manual but that isn't a luxury I have right now.

Can any of you SIMS geniuses advise me please?

Thank Post
    Further question.................

She would like the new marksheet to be available only to the senior science teachers, not the the class teachers. I assume if I use the class marksheets, the class teachers will see them too?

Thank Post
    When you create the marksheet from your template, and it asks you for a group, you can choose the course from the list - assuming Your year 11's all do the same science course and the courses are set up correctly in SIMS.
    The marksheet will then only contain science students.
    The resulting marksheet will only be available to whoever is marked as the Head of Dept in Course Manager.
    If you want others to see it, you need to give them some sort of supervisory role in Course Manager for thre Year 11 science course - this could be Course Co-ordinator, 2nd in Dept or Supervisor.
    they will then be able to see any summary macrksheets assigned to that course.

4. Thanks to Linfit from:

ICTLady (13th March 2013)

Thank Post
    You may be better off posting the question to Capita's own SIMS forum support net.

Anyway, will give the question a try.

A marksheet is normally created by attaching a student group to a template (e.g. classes, reg groups, year groups).
    Any supervisors for that group will then see that marksheet in their list.

You may have to create a user defined group and then have the relevant senior science teachers as supervisors.
    When creating the marksheet simply select the user defined group you have made as the group you are attaching to the marksheet.

You may be tempted to use the year 11 group in the pastoral structure in the marksheet. The problem with that is that adding the science teachers as supervisors of year 11 will give them access to all year 11 marksheets. That may or may not be ideal.

6. Thanks to m2d2 from:

Thank Post
    Thank you both for your helpful answers, you've reassured me that I'm thinking along the right lines.

I have tried adding the students by course but the problem I have is that the Y10s are studying the same course - adding GCSE Science gives me both Y10s and Y11s. And yes, I tried adding the whole of Y11 from the pastoral structure but then it attached itself to the HoY for Y11 as the marksheet owner, and not to the science teacher!

It looks like my choices are either to add the Y11 science classes individually, which is easy but doesn't give the exact result they have asked for; or set up a user-defined group.

m2d2, I am shy of posting on SupportNet with obvious questions as it posts my name and school and I don't want to go public with my rudimentary SIMS knowledge!

Thank Post
    If the year 10s are studying the same course you can add year 11 in the group filter option on your template, this will then only return year 11 students.

9. Thanks to DavidLong from:

Thank Post
    Ooh thank you David, that sounds like it might work.

Thank Post
    It's how I do my subject level marksheets for subjects, one thing to bear in mind if you have students taught out of year group you will be better using "curriculum year 11" instead of "year 11".

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,410 Times in 1,167 Posts
    A course marksheet is definitely the way to go, then put in the year filter as David said. UDGs will way over complicate things.
    Make sure your senior teachers are supervisors of the course, or there are various other titles you can give them in course manager that may be more appropriate.

Label the marksheet as Y11. Then clone it for Y10, if you need and change the resultsets if required, and group filter. We do this a lot and for KS3 you'd have 3 copies, one for each year.

Another little trick is to add one of the additional student info columns for CLASS. This will show the class code if the marksheet is tied to a course. You can then sort by this column and see the year data by sets, which is really useful for HoD .

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread