+ Post New Thread
Results 1 to 9 of 9
MIS Systems Thread, Discover Instances on Training Data in Technical; We have SIMS training data installed on stanalone machines. All of them have Gaccom and Weccom attached but we only ...
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    4
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Discover Instances on Training Data

    We have SIMS training data installed on stanalone machines. All of them have Gaccom and Weccom attached but we only seem to be able to have Discover on one or the other. Does anybody know of a way that we can have Discover for both.

  2. #2
    Guest

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    3,754
    Thank Post
    1,458
    Thanked 489 Times in 375 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by JonTMac View Post
    We have SIMS training data installed on stanalone machines. All of them have Gaccom and Weccom attached but we only seem to be able to have Discover on one or the other. Does anybody know of a way that we can have Discover for both.
    No, you can only have one Discover install pointing to one database. I'd suggest separating them both into two virtual machines. This will allow you to have one GA VM with SIMS and Discover, and one WE VM with SIMS and Discover.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    4
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    I had thought of that but unfortunantly we are for a variety of reason not allowed to do that. I seem to remember from a SIMS meeting somewhere that their is a script somewhere but for the life of me I can't remember who had it.

    But thanks for the suggetion.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    18
    Thank Post
    3
    Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Rep Power
    6
    There is/was some gubbins on Supportnet that guided you through setting up to have two instances of Discover on one machine. It's not pretty though, and I found the services didn't work particularly well with it. But I'm sure there are people using it successfully in their training environments.
    I used it for a time, but tbh with limited success and I soon gave up and we moved to independent images for our secondary and primary courses, with one instance of Discover on each.

  5. #5
    Guest

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    3,754
    Thank Post
    1,458
    Thanked 489 Times in 375 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by JonTMac View Post
    I had thought of that but unfortunantly we are for a variety of reason not allowed to do that. I seem to remember from a SIMS meeting somewhere that their is a script somewhere but for the life of me I can't remember who had it.

    But thanks for the suggetion.
    Any specific reason? If its cost, we use virtual box which is free to use and works a treat.

  6. #6

    matt40k's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Ipswich
    Posts
    4,377
    Thank Post
    368
    Thanked 637 Times in 519 Posts
    Rep Power
    158
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawns View Post
    Any specific reason? If its cost, we use virtual box which is free to use and works a treat.
    I can think of three reasons why this wouldn't "work"

    1/ Licensing - wouldn't you need extra Windows licenses for the virtual machine? Also MS Office?

    2/ Corporate policy - you'd need AV in the virtual pc etc, you've doubled\tripled your maintanance costs

    3/ Hardware issues - USB drives wouldn't work (as well), performance - would need higher spec.

    So really, it isn't free.


    PS: Suprised @GREED hasn't appeared and coughed about a certain MIS system that doesn't have these issues.

  7. #7

    GREED's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Portsmouth
    Posts
    2,970
    Thank Post
    367
    Thanked 359 Times in 293 Posts
    Blog Entries
    8
    Rep Power
    173
    Quote Originally Posted by matt40k View Post
    PS: Suprised @GREED hasn't appeared and coughed about a certain MIS system that doesn't have these issues.
    *Comes running is arms flapping all over the place...*

    Actually the job has been done for me!

  8. #8
    Guest

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    3,754
    Thank Post
    1,458
    Thanked 489 Times in 375 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by matt40k View Post
    I can think of three reasons why this wouldn't "work"

    1/ Licensing - wouldn't you need extra Windows licenses for the virtual machine? Also MS Office?

    2/ Corporate policy - you'd need AV in the virtual pc etc, you've doubled\tripled your maintanance costs

    3/ Hardware issues - USB drives wouldn't work (as well), performance - would need higher spec.

    So really, it isn't free.


    PS: Suprised @GREED hasn't appeared and coughed about a certain MIS system that doesn't have these issues.
    It is effectively "free" if:

    1/ You already have licensing for VM's

    2/ You already have AV on your VM images

    3/ Not sure why USB drives is an issue if the VM is just for running training data? Discover runs fine for both Green Abbey and Waters Edge on my VM's and my host PC is not powerful by any means.

    VirtualBox is free to use.
    Last edited by Rawns; 11th March 2013 at 09:11 AM.

  9. #9
    superfletch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    South
    Posts
    434
    Thank Post
    146
    Thanked 77 Times in 61 Posts
    Rep Power
    31
    We have the same problem.

    Although it wouldn't help with the MS / AV licensing type issues could a dual boot (one primary and one secondary) be a better bet? The machine shouldn't take a performance hit from running a VM that way - useful since Discover is a demanding application.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Similar Threads

  1. [SIMS] Creating photolists of students based on assessment data in SIMs
    By dveldtman in forum MIS Systems
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 14th September 2011, 07:48 AM
  2. [SIMS] SIMS 7.140 Training Data Sets
    By creese in forum MIS Systems
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 4th August 2011, 01:19 PM
  3. is 30 min drive then 1 hour on train too much?
    By jonny_2010 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 13th June 2011, 11:16 AM
  4. T'internet on train
    By SimpleSi in forum General Chat
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 13th January 2010, 10:33 AM
  5. Serco training data
    By BJG in forum MIS Systems
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 22nd May 2009, 09:56 AM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •