+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, Discover Instances on Training Data in Technical; We have SIMS training data installed on stanalone machines. All of them have Gaccom and Weccom attached but we only ...

Thank Post

Discover Instances on Training Data

We have SIMS training data installed on stanalone machines. All of them have Gaccom and Weccom attached but we only seem to be able to have Discover on one or the other. Does anybody know of a way that we can have Discover for both.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JonTMac View Post
    We have SIMS training data installed on stanalone machines. All of them have Gaccom and Weccom attached but we only seem to be able to have Discover on one or the other. Does anybody know of a way that we can have Discover for both.
    No, you can only have one Discover install pointing to one database. I'd suggest separating them both into two virtual machines. This will allow you to have one GA VM with SIMS and Discover, and one WE VM with SIMS and Discover.

Thank Post
    I had thought of that but unfortunantly we are for a variety of reason not allowed to do that. I seem to remember from a SIMS meeting somewhere that their is a script somewhere but for the life of me I can't remember who had it.

But thanks for the suggetion.

Thank Post
    There is/was some gubbins on Supportnet that guided you through setting up to have two instances of Discover on one machine. It's not pretty though, and I found the services didn't work particularly well with it. But I'm sure there are people using it successfully in their training environments.
    I used it for a time, but tbh with limited success and I soon gave up and we moved to independent images for our secondary and primary courses, with one instance of Discover on each.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JonTMac View Post
    I had thought of that but unfortunantly we are for a variety of reason not allowed to do that. I seem to remember from a SIMS meeting somewhere that their is a script somewhere but for the life of me I can't remember who had it.

But thanks for the suggetion.
    Any specific reason? If its cost, we use virtual box which is free to use and works a treat.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawns View Post
    Any specific reason? If its cost, we use virtual box which is free to use and works a treat.
    I can think of three reasons why this wouldn't "work"

1/ Licensing - wouldn't you need extra Windows licenses for the virtual machine? Also MS Office?

2/ Corporate policy - you'd need AV in the virtual pc etc, you've doubled\tripled your maintanance costs

3/ Hardware issues - USB drives wouldn't work (as well), performance - would need higher spec.

So really, it isn't free.

PS: Suprised @GREED hasn't appeared and coughed about a certain MIS system that doesn't have these issues.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by matt40k View Post
    PS: Suprised @GREED hasn't appeared and coughed about a certain MIS system that doesn't have these issues.
    *Comes running is arms flapping all over the place...*

Actually the job has been done for me!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by matt40k View Post
    I can think of three reasons why this wouldn't "work"

1/ Licensing - wouldn't you need extra Windows licenses for the virtual machine? Also MS Office?

2/ Corporate policy - you'd need AV in the virtual pc etc, you've doubled\tripled your maintanance costs

3/ Hardware issues - USB drives wouldn't work (as well), performance - would need higher spec.

So really, it isn't free.

It is effectively "free" if:

1/ You already have licensing for VM's

2/ You already have AV on your VM images

3/ Not sure why USB drives is an issue if the VM is just for running training data? Discover runs fine for both Green Abbey and Waters Edge on my VM's and my host PC is not powerful by any means.

VirtualBox is free to use.
    Last edited by Rawns; 11th March 2013 at 09:11 AM.

Thank Post
    We have the same problem.

Although it wouldn't help with the MS / AV licensing type issues could a dual boot (one primary and one secondary) be a better bet? The machine shouldn't take a performance hit from running a VM that way - useful since Discover is a demanding application.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread