+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, MIS geared towards Primary in Technical; Aspen is having a facelift soon .. . . @ GREED and it can look good for primary schools too, ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,397 Times in 1,157 Posts
    Aspen is having a facelift soon .. . . @GREED and it can look good for primary schools too, it all depends on what you make of it.
    Scholarpack and iSAMS have nice friendly interfaces, and the iSAMS API interface looks awesome (not relevant, but it makes other integrations easy).
    Frog has a very friendly interface for primary and they are retrofitting MIS features for the malaysian market, so worth keeping an eye on.

On the subject of cloud - i think Aspen would let you host it, but you might pay a bit more for install / support. Others do this as well. So you get the benefit of Cloud, but it's onsite. I'd always want a paper backup at least once per term of key numbers even if it's on site, as let's face it, it's piece of mind for very little cost.

Thank Post
    I would say RM Integris G2 would be better suited as its less pricey as compare to SIMS and centrally host.

Thank Post
    Two things, first I dislike the word cloud - SIMS can be made into a "cloud" MIS - you can access it along with MS Office over a web browser anywhere in the world. Is that "cloud" enough for you?

The other thing, I laugh when I saw a picture of a companys internet connection with redundany - it was dual fibre with a ADSL backup - I think I saw a place for a 3G dongle - I laughed because it didn't have a UPS backup and it was all plugged into the same PDU. All the money they have spend and they couldn't be bothered to put in a solution to cover the cleaner unplugged the power. Just saying, you can't cover all the bases - at least with a "cloud" solution you could get at the data - that's assuming its something wrong at your end - not at the data center.

Other news - I think you'd be suprised how cheap SIMS is - its the bolt on that costs alot - I've setup a small school with SIMS for sub £1k!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by matt40k View Post
    Two things, first I dislike the word cloud - SIMS can be made into a "cloud" MIS - you can access it along with MS Office over a web browser anywhere in the world. Is that "cloud" enough for you?
    Not really. Most people would consider a cloud based product one you access through a browser without any of the faffing around setting up VPNs and the like. Not to mention the dire speed most VPN based products inflict on their users!!

5. Thanks to scholarpack from:

SimpleSi (5th March 2013)

Thank Post
    Faff? Seriously? I would suggest you see Cambs solution or look up Sonicwall SSL VPN. Only faff I could find was the security token - but you'd hope every supplier forces you into using the extra security when your data is avalible anywhere in the world.

From a technical point of view you'd want something like Aspen I agree. But you don't select a MIS system based on technical point of view, if you did, you'd be using notepad.

Thank Post
    Ahem wordpad at least, come on!

Thank Post
    Whenever you try to squeeze a desktop application through a browser you're invariably going to provide a poorer user experience than if that product were simply designed from scratch to be browser based.

Most of our customers have come from SIMS and many remark how poor the experience over a VPN is. Not just SIMS, but other desktop apps that have been virtualised too.

Thank Post
    I guess you can say the same about access via mobile devices.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by matt40k View Post
    I guess you can say the same about access via mobile devices.
    Yup, exactly. About 6-7% of our users now access via tablets so at the moment we are content to allow them access via a browser and not a native app but obviously the best experience is a custom built app. Something for us to consider in the near future.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Well Well, I can see my presence is not needed! Thanks @vikpaw @matt40k for the mentions!

There are a number of points made which I would like to answer:

# Aspen MIS is in the process of a 'facelift', which while does give an improved visual interface, has a huge investment into making the interface available and usable (or more usable) to mobile and tablet devices. Going much the same way as Windows 8 did, build core elements for touch devices, and build it out for the desktop. More on that in the summer!

# Aspen MIS can be hosted locally if you want to. There is no increased cost, however you lose the cost savings for server, power, upkeep, backups, maintenance, DR etc.

# I agree with @matt40k: just saying an MIS is 'cloud' because you can access it over a VPN is very different to a dedicated web based/web presented system. Making a client type system available over the internet compared to one that is naturally available via web browsers is a huge gap. Lets leave that one there!

Graham
    Last edited by GREED; 5th March 2013 at 04:27 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GREED View Post
    Well Well, I can see my presence is not needed! Thanks @vikpaw @matt40k
    # I agree with @matt40k saying an MIS is 'cloud' because you can access it over a VPN is different to a dedicated web based/web presented system. Lets leave that one there!

Graham
    do you??

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vikpaw View Post
    do you??
    Do I what? I have edited original post to make my point clearer.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by scholarpack View Post
    Yup, exactly. About 6-7% of our users now access via tablets so at the moment we are content to allow them access via a browser and not a native app but obviously the best experience is a custom built app. Something for us to consider in the near future.
    I've actually recently become aware of the vast number of primaries for whom regisration is still a paper based system.. and these are schools that DO have an MIS.
    You could have knocked me down with a feather when I found this out..

21st Century people, come on..

15. Thanks to JohnCondon from:

matt40k (5th March 2013)

Thank Post
    Primary curric networks and admin networks do not talk to each other via orders of the Sith so easier to use paper and hand deliver to the office via 2 trustee pupils

Thank Post
    @GREED I didn't think you agreed with Matt cos I thought he was saying in essence any web access is cloud like.
    @JohnCondon I am one of those primaries where they refuse to use SIMS much to my dismay

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast