+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, Student Timetable Template in Technical; One of the biggest complaints I get from staff is with printing timetables. We run a two week timetable and ...
    CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Student Timetable Template

One of the biggest complaints I get from staff is with printing timetables. We run a two week timetable and the menu route Reports -> Timetables -> Student [or staff] Timetables cannot print them on one page and with room numbers all in one click. Teachers cannot be expected to sit there and fiddle with margins or fields, they want it set up for them.

We can use Reports -> Print Timetables instead but this isn't available to everyone. I'd rather get this menu route working since it is also the default for staff viewing a timetable from Student/Teacher View.

So my question is:
    1) Is it possible to get room numbers to appear by default on the Student Timetables page?
    2) Having done the margin fiddling and room number adding on my end in my user account and saving it (teachers cannot save their layouts for some odd reason! ), is it possible to apply this template to all members of staff across the entire system?

Thank Post
    If its for individuals and not several at a time, if they click Timetable from linked documents the default setting has the room on it, and the default print settings fit a two week timetable on an A4 page.
    We run a two week timetable here and thats they way most staff get individual timetables.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,383 Times in 1,145 Posts
    I thought you could set defaults and only certain permission groups could mess with settings.

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Linfit View Post
    If its for individuals and not several at a time, if they click Timetable from linked documents the default setting has the room on it, and the default print settings fit a two week timetable on an A4 page.
    We run a two week timetable here and thats they way most staff get individual timetables.
    That's what my staff are doing, but they get the Student Timetables routine with no room and two pages. I can't find where or how to set a global default.

Thank Post
    oh dear, this does not bode well :

Click the Save button to save the layout options specified.Once saved, these layout options will be used for all timetable reports that you run in the future. Layout options are defined on a per-user basis, so any settings you select will be reflected only in reports that you run.
    You can return to the predefined timetable report layout options at any time by clicking the Default button at the top of the report output. However clicking the Default button loses any settings you have previously saved and cannot be retrieved.
    IMPORTANT NOTE: The Save button is available only if you have sufficient permissions (Curricular Manager or Timetabler).
    i was convinced ours were okay, but it might only be for me and the timetabler!

There is an easy way to give access to the print timetables routine, but if that gets deprecated you're back to square one, so an alternate solution is better.

Thank Post
    You made me panic, so i just tested, and my default is what a test teacher gets. So maybe the timetabler's saved setting is shared. Because when the test teacher pressed default, it reverted to something horrible, but then went back to my nice on on reload of SIMS. So test it.
    Also, the Spring release will bring the nice homepage with a timetable view instead of timeline, for both staff and students, so you could use this and printing from there might do the trick..

7. Thanks to vikpaw from:

CAM (8th March 2013)

Thank Post
    As you've said VikPaw, changing the default layout and then saving it (when you have permissions to do so!) will make that the default for all users.
    Although you did make me think I'd been dreaming with that first post!

9. Thanks to JPatch from:

CAM (8th March 2013)

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Thank you so much guys. It's a rather shockingly unclear UI design but this has saved me no end of trouble!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread