+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, Spring 2013 Release in Technical; The pre-release notes have been out on SupportNet for some time, resource ID #20559 Planned release date is Friday 22nd ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,383 Times in 1,145 Posts

Spring 2013 Release

The pre-release notes have been out on SupportNet for some time, resource ID #20559

Planned release date is Friday 22nd March.

There are some very dandy features coming as per the news item, notably support for Windows 8 + Windows 2012 and the fab new homepage:

The SIMS 2013 Spring Release contains enhancements to Assessment, Discover, Fees, FMS, Homepage, InTouch, Multiple Timetables, Personnel, Registration & Admissions, Reporting, SIMS Learning Gateway, SOLUS 3.5 , Technical and Timetable Printing.

This release contains updates to Statutory Returns for School Census Summer 2013 (England), Attendance Collection 2013 (Wales), AMPARK (England), Levels of Progression (Northern Ireland), and NDC (Wales).

The FMS release contains the statutory Consistent Financial Reporting (CFR) changes for 2012/2013 with the inclusion of a new CFR Heading for I18 Additional Grant for schools. New reports have been included to assist school’s in predicting future bank balances together with the ability to calculate and post depreciation on a periodic basis.

This release sees the commencement of support for Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012. SQL2012 is supported for SIMS and FMS releases only. Discover, SLG and SOLUS3 will be supported on SQL2012 from the Sims 2013 Summer release. A Migration utility will be provided alongside the SIMS 2013 Summer release to assist with the migrations.
    For those of you who weren't able to make it to the BETT show, here are some sneak previews and info based on my notes. Apologies if there are any inaccuracies, i was typing madly into my iPhone whilst being awestruck at all the changes.

EDIT: Thanks also to Geoff Perry for taking the time to show me the new look and putting up with my constant interruptions.

Firstly, the timeline, is now a full timetable, with various views available, a la Outlook. The best thing though is the ability to alter the working week and times, so finally us Middle Eastern schools can see things how we need to. (The underlying structure hasn't changed, but this is a big first step and very welcome ) @NorthernSands

The whole thing is sleek and streamlined, plus it scales to match your screen size. Widgets have extra time based options, and UDGs have been added to the groups. There is a month view and you can force refresh a panel. The configuration of each panel has been modified and is more uniform and easier to use.

Right clicking on the timetable, gives quick access to class lists and photos.

The pie charts have now been replaced with bar charts - yes somebody ate all the pies! We're not sure who, but the pie thief will be found
    You can expand a year view to see the constituent reg groups for comparison. Reg Group view allows comparing of individuals. Plus you can tap out to the student view.

There are filters in teh assessment panel. Tabbed favourites widget, and i hadn't realised this, but you can favourite a student and have been able to for yonks! Just view the student, click on favourites at top right and it appears in your favourites widget, you just had to scroll down to see it

As well as the homepage improvements, the student teacher view has also seen similar changes. You can message class teacher and all staff. The timeline shows attendance codes and detentions. You can toggle attendance to see conduct. You can view interventions.

Best of all you can easily print the student teacher view.

Hopefully i haven't made too many errors, i'm sure @PhilNeal will scream at me if i have

homepage.pnghomepage2.pngtimetable.pngtimeline config.png
    student teacher view.pngattendance.pngconduct.pngattendance v conduct.png
    Last edited by vikpaw; 3rd March 2013 at 11:05 AM. Reason: acknowledgement.

2. 13 Thanks to vikpaw:

CAM (27th February 2013), Ecclesbury (4th March 2013), fiza (27th February 2013), garethedmondson (7th June 2013), gsayer (7th March 2013), Jobos (5th March 2013), LosOjos (27th February 2013), QWERTY72 (20th March 2013), Soulfish (4th March 2013), Steve21 (27th February 2013), Sylv3r (27th February 2013), TheScarfedOne (4th March 2013), zag (5th March 2013)

Thank Post
    Nice one @vikpaw . Nice overview

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fiza View Post
    Nice one @vikpaw . Nice overview
    And that only covers the homepage and teacher view

Thank Post
    That's a much much nicer layout Now we just have to hope the update doesn't get pulled 16 times!

Steve

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,170 Times in 798 Posts
    Cheers Vik, looks like SIMS is getting a very nice facelift this Spring!

Now to go hunt down the AM7 updates...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    Cheers Vik, looks like SIMS is getting a very nice facelift this Spring!

Now to go hunt down the AM7 updates...
    Don't get too excited:
    Assessment
    Mark sheets now contain a median value in the summary row.
    The Pupil Premium field is now available as an additional column and as a filter on Assessment Mark sheets

Discover
    A new SIMS Discover Administration Utility (AU) is now available which replaces both the existing Discover Configuration Tool and the Hosted Transfer Tool. The Administration Utility mirrors Discover’s flexible architecture to provide improved access to configuration and management functions, particularly for hosted users. It also provides a better platform for improvements to functionality in future releases.
    A staff icon has been added to discover with the following graph functionality:
    - Staff in Absence Working Day Lost ranges
    - Staff by Primary Post
    - Staff Totals by Teaching Status
    Another really big change is the ability to store multiple timetables, cycle, pattern etc. But it's a paid for add-on.
    Last edited by vikpaw; 27th February 2013 at 12:19 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,170 Times in 798 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vikpaw View Post
    Don't get too excited:
    Well as Pupil Premium is being added to marksheets, it's presumably being added to student details too. That'll be aa big help, as up to now I've been using a UDF to record that and an aspect in marksheets - quite cumbersome keeping them both up to date and in sync.

Thank Post
    Don't just believe me, see it live : The new look SIMS Homepage | campaigns.capita-sims.co.uk

10. Thanks to vikpaw from:

CAM (4th March 2013)

Thank Post
    Excellent stuff, at least 3 things I see already that will be a big help! I can't wait to ditch my pupil premium UDF.

Thank Post
    Shame SOLUS 3.5 has been delayed again. Was hoping to get 3.5 out before the Spring release.

Thank Post
    I don't suppose that handy new timetable view implies easy import/export of teacher timetables to other calendar formats? (with dates?)

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    New front page looks excellent.

Thank Post
    Not sure @pete, it's unlikely. But if it uses the usual print routine it might be possible to dump to excel in a nice format either directly or via HTML / XML.
    It's got lots of outlook-esque views that are easy to interchange so I wonder if there are some stores procs or SQL views we can take advantage of.
    Failing that salamandersoft can do it and that would come with lots of other integration.

Thank Post
    The upgrade is now live.

Queue the obligatory questions about where to download Discover from as no one can find the news post!

Thank Post
    Anyone want to volunteer to go first?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast