+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, Spring 2013 Release in Technical; It makes sense to hide the lessons from a development point of view, but in reality it causes people to ...
    CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    It makes sense to hide the lessons from a development point of view, but in reality it causes people to go "This is a new feature, where are my lessons? Is it broken?" and the questions then make their way to us.

Also with a week view, a teacher can see all their lessons that week and double click for access to the register and marksheets as an alternative route (I can confirm that teachers seem to prefer this over My Marksheet Entry!). Hiding the lessons takes that ability away.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,487 Times in 1,234 Posts
    If anyone has experienced speed / performance issues there is a separate discussion, which i'll make sticky in a sec. It covers the patches created to resolve this.
    Spring release + Server 2003 = Slow
    Last edited by vikpaw; 27th April 2013 at 07:42 AM.

Thank Post
    Finally upgraded to the Spring Release (Dummy tip of the day - you can't upgrade your server with only 1.8 GBs of space on the server! Yikes!)

One useful touch that I hadn't expected was that the new Pupil Premium indicator is included on the Bulk Update routine. Very handy.

Quick question though, I notice on the favourites panel on the home page there are new tabs for Reports, Students and marksheets (I say new, I've never seen them before, so apologies if they've been there for ages.) The implication seems to be that you can set up favourite students (for example) which seems handy for certain people. Does anyone know whether this is the case and, if so, how to add favourite students...or marksheets.

Cheers,

Jonny.

Thank Post
    I'm an idiot.

Massive green cross button with the word 'Favourites' at the top of every student's profile! Now I see it , I'm sure that it's always been there.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ecclesbury View Post
    I'm an idiot.

Massive green cross button with the word 'Favourites' at the top of every student's profile! Now I see it , I'm sure that it's always been there.
    I made that same mistake too a while ago. Good for following interventioned kids, but mostly likely will be used by teachers who are parents!
    The favourite reports is a really useful feature that's been around for a bit.

The space thing is mostly because it tries to create an uncompressed backup and that usually defaults to your C drive. My DB is 4.3 GB, and i always have probs on the small test server if i forget to suppress backups.

I'm gutted because the timeline issue showing the wrong days of the week is not going to be fixed until Summer release, so we got a workaround for the next 10 weeks - get all staff to configure to daily view, which also doesn't work as it shows last monday for our sat/sun. Reported it, but not heard back yet.

6. Thanks to vikpaw from:

Ecclesbury (1st May 2013)

Thank Post
    Trying to run the upgrade at the moment, I'm getting an error stating

The file NovaSatelliteSetup.exe was not downloaded correctly.

The web server gave the following error
    The remote server returned an error: (404) Not Found.

I'm trying to run this from Update and run Solus, the server i'm looking at to download the files is the soulus.lancsngfl mirror.

Has anyone had this problem in a CLEO school? Is there somewhere I can download this file from and manually put it in the download folder, or does it have to come from the same source as the rest of the files?

Thank Post
    The release news item in SupportNet referenced in the original post has a link to an iso that you can extract it from.

9. Thanks to vikpaw from:

dezt (11th May 2013)

Thank Post
    I don't have a username or password for supportnet, we get our support from our LEA. Is there any other way I can get this file? I was hoping to get this update ready for some NovaT training we are having on Monday. Everything else has downloaded and installed, like FMS, but I need to get hold of that file.

Can anyone drop it into a dropbox folder for me or something like that please?

Thank Post
    Just go to support net and register they will give you an account I have one.

Thank Post
    If someone drops it in dropbox or such, they would be breaking the law. Any licensed school can have a supportnet account, regardless if they get support\license via the LA or not. If your LA hasn't updated their mirror, it would be for a good reason, especially as it's census next week.

Thank Post
    The problem is, it's not quick to get your account approved on SupportNet, at least not when it's urgent.

Thank Post
    We try to check that applicants are who they say they are which can take a while.

Thank Post
    I wish i'd have known about being able to register for support net before, currently waiting for logon details.

Don't know why the file isn't on the LA mirror, they have sent out instructions for how to install the Spring update, but it just isn't working. Getting fed up with it not working now.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilNeal View Post
    We try to check that applicants are who they say they are which can take a while.
    Quote Originally Posted by dezt View Post
    I wish i'd have known about being able to register for support net before, currently waiting for logon details.

Don't know why the file isn't on the LA mirror, they have sent out instructions for how to install the Spring update, but it just isn't working. Getting fed up with it not working now.
    Well if you two @dezt + @PhilNeal can between you via official school email - agree that you're a legitimate paying school, and Phil gives me the nod, i'll share the file privately if that helps get things moving today. Assuming i have it of course, it should be in the ISO ....?
    I think i used it for the timetabler after upgrade.

Thank Post
    @dezt I think your LA would really object if the file came through a different route - looks like they are running a mirror server i.e. its not managed by us.

If you drop me an email (Phil.Neal@Capita.CO.UK), I'll make sure our guys call your LA and get it sorted first thing Monday. Our desk is open at 8:00.

18. 2 Thanks to PhilNeal:

dezt (12th May 2013), vikpaw (13th May 2013)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast