+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, Quick way of renaming and duplicating aspects in SIMS AM in Technical; I have to rename and then clone around 100 aspects, for example existing aspect is 'Art Skills' and it needs ...

Thank Post

Quick way of renaming and duplicating aspects in SIMS AM

I have to rename and then clone around 100 aspects, for example existing aspect is 'Art Skills' and it needs to be renamed 'Art Skills 1' and then cloned and named 'Art Skills 2'. I think that there may be a way that uses an xml editor but cannot remember how to do it. Any advice will be very welcome.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,182 Times in 809 Posts
    I didn't make this tool but unfortunately I can't remember who did now, it was someone who used to come here

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/4779199/FRA_Aspect.zip

There are instructions on how to use it inside the Excel workbook, it's saved me hours upon hours of work!

3. 2 Thanks to LosOjos:

number34 (26th February 2013), vikpaw (26th February 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,397 Times in 1,157 Posts
    maybe it was @Dancer ...?

I often do small sets of these and do them manually, using ctrl + c , cloen, ctrl + v, edit, ctrl +s , then either new again, or next then new if it's already a numbered set. painful, especially if you're changing categories too.
    Last edited by vikpaw; 26th February 2013 at 11:49 AM.

5. Thanks to vikpaw from:

number34 (26th February 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanks LosOjos and Vik.
    I do use the ctrl+c method but find that after a while I start making errors and have to go back and check. The categories are annoying as sometimes they are cloned, eg for aspects, and other times they are not.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,397 Times in 1,157 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by number34 View Post
    Thanks LosOjos and Vik.
    I do use the ctrl+c method but find that after a while I start making errors and have to go back and check. The categories are annoying as sometimes they are cloned, eg for aspects, and other times they are not.
    a bit like my 'clown' error above! you can tell i've been hacking away at sims this morning.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    There are instructions on how to use it inside the Excel workbook, it's saved me hours upon hours of work!
    LosOjos,

I have followed the instructions and have a question about the Aspect ID, how do I ensure it is unique?
    I have also tried to import the NewAspects file and get the message 'file contains invalid data, select different file'
    Any idea on what I may be doing wrong?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by number34 View Post
    LosOjos,

I have followed the instructions and have a question about the Aspect ID, how do I ensure it is unique?
    I have also tried to import the NewAspects file and get the message 'file contains invalid data, select different file'
    Any idea on what I may be doing wrong?
    The ID being unique is a tricky one. The only way to be 100% certain is to run a report containing all the ID's in your system and cross reference. However, that's a bit overkill IMO. I simply pick a prefix (e.g. my initials), then add the date, then a number which I increment for each one I'm importing that day. For instance, today I might use JJ260213001, JJ260213002, JJ260213003 etc. The chances of that exact ID existing in your system are extremely slim.

As for the NewAspects file, you need to make sure the following text is contained before you hit "Build Templates" in Excel, and that it is the only text in that file:

Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1"?><AspectFileV7><Header /><AspectNode>
    Also, when copying the XML from your original aspect in to "OrigAspect.txt", make sure you're only copying the Aspect part of the XML (i.e. the part between the <Aspect>...</Aspect> tags)

Working with XML as much as I do these days, I've found foxe to be invaluable: Free XML editor download
    Using that, you can just open up your original aspect's XML and in the tree browser on the left hand side, double click on the "Aspect" tag to highlight that entire part ready to copy and paste over to OrigAspect.txt - of course it's not essential, but it makes life a hell of a lot easier for me!

Finally, make sure you rename NewAspects.txt to make it XML - I usually copy it and just change the extension.
    Last edited by LosOjos; 26th February 2013 at 01:58 PM.

10. Thanks to LosOjos from:

number34 (26th February 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    As for the NewAspects file, you need to make sure the following text is contained before you hit "Build Templates" in Excel, and that it is the only text in that file:

Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1"?><AspectFileV7><Header /><AspectNode>
    That bit does not seem to be in the instructions, I will add it and see what happens. Thanks

Thank Post
    I may be speaking out of turn here as I never got the time to investigate this properly, and now its not an issue for me, but last time I looked (about year ago I think), that wonderful mechanism that Ralph created had got b'ggered since Capita decided to add some additional export refid information in the xml when you do the export (which never used to be there when he created the concept). I can't remember if that came in to play on cloning aspects or templates, but it certainly meant that even if you followed that mechanism, importing back in causes complaints of duplications etc - so at that point I gave up using it myself as I couldn't trust that I wasnt screwing up stuff I didnt want altered :-(

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by resin1 View Post
    I may be speaking out of turn here as I never got the time to investigate this properly, and now its not an issue for me, but last time I looked (about year ago I think), that wonderful mechanism that Ralph created had got b'ggered since Capita decided to add some additional export refid information in the xml when you do the export (which never used to be there when he created the concept). I can't remember if that came in to play on cloning aspects or templates, but it certainly meant that even if you followed that mechanism, importing back in causes complaints of duplications etc - so at that point I gave up using it myself as I couldn't trust that I wasnt screwing up stuff I didnt want altered :-(
    Hmmm... not a problem I've noticed, but then I can't actually remember the last time I used the Bulk Aspect sheet (there was another for Templates I still use and works).

I'll give it a go today, if there is a problem I'll hopefully be able to fix it.

Thank Post
    LosOjos,
    I think I created a new blank NewAspects file by mistake, the original does have the text. Problem is that each aspect is created twice and SIMS does not like that. When I select only one of each to import it does so with lots of warnings. Not really sure that I want to go ahead and use it but await your findings with interest.
    But I like the idea of bulk creation of templates, can you give more details?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread