+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, Cloud MIS Security in Technical; Originally Posted by vikpaw Does SIMS have a SIF agent? I was thinking of alternatives which might be quicker in ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by vikpaw View Post
    Does SIMS have a SIF agent?

I was thinking of alternatives which might be quicker in the short term, getting around my initial question of ad hoc data access, if SIF uptake is slow. Why is that by the way?
    There are a couple of SIF agents for SIMS.net.

SIF implementations were originally being lead by LAs for vertical reporting and LA wide learning platform integration and not from a school horizontal integration point of view. this is changing.

LA SIF infrastructures cover 40% and LA independent SIF cover infrastructures are able to cover 100%.

If an application already has an API then SIF enabling is straight forward. We SIF enabled Oliver in 10 days by using their API.

Thank Post
    @vikpaw forgot to add SIM.net Partnership exchange is built on SIF.

Thank Post
    To be more accurate its based on SIF. We had to make some changes to the way SIF exchanged messages.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilNeal View Post
    To be more accurate its based on SIF. We had to make some changes to the way SIF exchanged messages.
    @PhilNeal I would still class it as SIF.

Yes you have implemented a message broker to handle multiple providers (schools) within the same zones but it use the same data model and infrastructure specification as other implementations.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GREED View Post
    @vikpaw mate

Can you give some examples of third party products that require an ad-hoc or even constant communication link with the cloud MIS in this scenario. I want to respond with specifics here as we are working with the same scenario with a customer using a Dual-Factor Authentication separated security layer between t'nternet and MIS.

This is common in local authorities who are hosting the MIS in their data centres. It is not a standard feature outside of this. I'm interested at why the distinction between cloud and client MIS here, given so many client MIS's are available via a remote desktop-type facility, which have the same levels of authentication (i.e. not usually dual factor). With the concern, I would want DFA on everything regardless of the cloud.
    In our case we access SIMS remotely via a VPN/Microsoft Direct Access, two factor exists in that the user has to enter their password and that the notebook PC has a domain allocated security cert (which we can revoke as and when required) maybe such a situation where a machine assigned cert will work for you as well?

6. Thanks to jamesfed from:

GREED (18th February 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,487 Times in 1,234 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesfed View Post
    In our case we access SIMS remotely via a VPN/Microsoft Direct Access, two factor exists in that the user has to enter their password and that the notebook PC has a domain allocated security cert (which we can revoke as and when required) maybe such a situation where a machine assigned cert will work for you as well?
    Maybe, so the XYZ-Nimbus implementation would have to have / generate this certificate for whichever client required it.
    It just seems like adding a whole level of complexity in the management process, which is fine if that's what is needed. I'm just wondering if the base is there in the current offerings.

Thank Post
    Just been looking at Google Authenticator, I use it but didn't realize you can add it to your own servers.

9. Thanks to vikpaw from:

TheScarfedOne (17th February 2013)

Thank Post
    Just been looking at Google Authenticator, I use it but didn't realize you can add it to your own servers.
    WOW can you. I have used that for ages on my phone.

Thank Post
    We've postponed using Google Authenticator on Agora as it doesn't force disconnection on publicly available terminals. ( I should add that I'm out of my depth on this)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by edutech4schools View Post
    WOW can you. I have used that for ages on my phone.
    Yep
    Google it

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilNeal View Post
    We've postponed using Google Authenticator on Agora as it doesn't force disconnection on publicly available terminals. ( I should add that I'm out of my depth on this)
    Disconnection should be the job of the underlying service. Authenticator just does it's job for the 30 second interval when you use that time based code. After that you're at the hands of the application.
    That's my understanding.
    I'm interested in this as we plan to roll out iPads to staff next year, and it's something they should all have to hand.
    Last edited by vikpaw; 17th February 2013 at 12:20 PM.

Thank Post
    I'll check but the problem was we couldn't force a disconnect.

Thank Post
    Taken a differen't tack with this built our own remote access solution around RDP.

SSL web server only exccepts SSL traffic.
    SSL Tunnel sort of to from web Server to PC RDP connection Small Service on PC's to control this.
    Students and Staff can access PC on the Network.
    We have about 10 PC or Virtual PC's constantly on someone logs on one boots up someone logs off one shuts down automated.
    Can't access MIS systems without Encrypted key (Encrypted code) on memory stick or PC\laptop, can't copy this key anywhere as it is coded in a specific way automatically when setup so to access MIS system Encrypted Key and Username and Password so Dual Factor for MIS, this is Seamless to user as they just click the app this loads up the logon web page and does the authentication then the logon with their username and password.
    Can set this to Disconnect the session when you want if not in use so 1 minute or whatever you like as this is set against resources (PC's) can set MIS systems to 1 minute others to 5 or what you like.
    Someone loses the Laptop or USB can't get in unless they also have staff username and password if they try to guess both key and User get disabled after so many tries.
    Has logging and a lot of other features built in as well as other Security features.

Just interested if anyone can see issues with the above and to other things that we may need to build in or take account of.

Thank Post
    @Steven_Cleaver Do you have any remote third parties that need access? Or automated systems? How do you resolve access for them?

Thank Post
    @vikpaw I think I know what you mean by third party access but this is all done internally so things like communication between SIM's and Insight automatically is done internally as this is hosted on site as is anything like this as it is all hosted internally, then with Insight Staff, Students and Parents access this over SSL as are all our web solutions I run penetration tests on anything web facing and so do the LEA using external company I think and I get a report from them after these have been run.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast