+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, Cloud MIS Security in Technical; @ X-13 an interesting suggestion and possibility one with legs. It is possible to have a trusted link into another ...

Thank Post
    @X-13 an interesting suggestion and possibility one with legs.

It is possible to have a trusted link into another cloud which would allow no run time password to be required however I think the MIS Cloud supplier would be liable for any data theft even if that occurred via a TP. We are talking eye-wateringly high fines so perhaps some form of bond would be required to protect the MIS vendor?

This whole area is very difficult to see a way through so hopefully someone will come up with a suggestion!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,632 Times in 1,460 Posts
    E1 uses a username/password combo plus ask for 3 random digits of a 6+ digit pin code.

Ben

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GREED View Post
    How can we conveniently get data to x third party (or from) while still being secure with a data key or the like... I don't have the answer myself!
    Lucky I do. Drum roll........ And the answer is SIF.

SIF allows for secure data transfer between applications plus it doesn't matter if the MIS is in house and the other application is hosted externally, vice versa or both remote.

connections are secured by client ssl certificate authentication.

4. Thanks to penfold_99 from:

vikpaw (16th February 2013)

Thank Post
    There are two types of authentication application and user.

One of the key things to understand is where the system boundaries are between users and data.

Application to application integration extends this boundary outside of the normal boundary of the school or La network, but the relationship between users and data doesn't change.

One key thing to remember is the requirement for dual authentication only applies in a few use cases and mainly down to the type of data being accessed.

The government clarified this in relation to parents/guardians, with online reporting the parent has access to data normally covered by IL2 but due to the cost of rolling out dual authentication they advised it wasn't required as only a small new of records were allowed to be accessed per login.

One of the key things MIS's should do but currently don't (I haven't seen anything that does) is scope which students an application access.

6. 2 Thanks to penfold_99:

Steven_Cleaver (16th February 2013), vikpaw (16th February 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by penfold_99 View Post
    There are two types of authentication application and user.

One of the key things to understand is where the system boundaries are between users and data.

Application to application integration extends this boundary outside of the normal boundary of the school or La network, but the relationship between users and data doesn't change.

One key thing to remember is the requirement for dual authentication only applies in a few use cases and mainly down to the type of data being accessed.

The government clarified this in relation to parents/guardians, with online reporting the parent has access to data normally covered by IL2 but due to the cost of rolling out dual authentication they advised it wasn't required as only a small new of records were allowed to be accessed per login.

One of the key things MIS's should do but currently don't (I haven't seen anything that does) is scope which students an application access.
    Hi @penfold excellent points but could you explain what you mean by "One of the key things MIS's should do but currently don't (I haven't seen anything that does) is scope which students an application access."

Thanks

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven_Cleaver View Post
    Hi @penfold excellent points but could you explain what you mean by "One of the key things MIS's should do but currently don't (I haven't seen anything that does) is scope which students an application access."

Thanks
    For example if an application only requires details for a sub set of students such as 6th form, SEN, they should only have access to those students. Most system grant access to all students irrespective of what data the application requires.

Context is a tricky thing to implement successfully between application as its dependant on the needs of the user.

9. Thanks to penfold_99 from:

Steven_Cleaver (16th February 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,158 Posts
    For example if an application only requires details for a sub set of students such as 6th form, SEN, they should only have access to those students. Most system grant access to all students irrespective of what data the application requires.

Context is a tricky thing to implement successfully between application as its dependant on the needs of the user.
    Or the company asks for full 'GOD' rights (or thereabouts) on the system: Attendance Manager, Timetabler, Third Party Reporting, System Manager, Personnel ... . .

Softlink the libary people wanted me to grant all kinds of access to simply dump a list of student names and reg groups, not to mention charge for integrating. i did it myself using command reporter in the end.

Thank Post

Thanks thats clear now and can see your point.I get what you mean about the context and the needs of the user.

Do you think this would be feasible by divising a system or appliaction that only pulls the relevant information from the SQL database in SIM's into another database which you could then add in your own fields that SIM's may not hold, be interested in or manage as well, which you could then customise to suite.

Sorry if this is off point just interested in opinions really.

Thank Post
    I don't think it would be very efficient. Creating a view might work better, though i never managed to edit data that i accessed via a view.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by vikpaw View Post
    I don't think it would be very efficient. Creating a view might work better, though i never managed to edit data that i accessed via a view.
    I can see what you mean about it not being efficient just think it might allow me more flexibility in what I wanted to do with it in regards to customisation.

Thank Post
    Or the company asks for full 'GOD' rights (or thereabouts) on the system: Attendance Manager, Timetabler, Third Party Reporting, System Manager, Personnel ... . .

Softlink the libary people wanted me to grant all kinds of access to simply dump a list of student names and reg groups, not to mention charge for integrating. i did it myself using command reporter in the end.
    That is mainly due to how (for example) sims permissions work and how they roughly relate to data items.

To gain access to one data item for example teacher role (which is in their contract) you need personnel manager rights. Which gives access to most system don't need.

You could go down the custom permission but that would in increase possible support issues after MIS upgrades

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven_Cleaver View Post
    Thanks thats clear now and can see your point.I get what you mean about the context and the needs of the user.

Do you think this would be feasible by divising a system or appliaction that only pulls the relevant information from the SQL database in SIM's into another database which you could then add in your own fields that SIM's may not hold, be interested in or manage as well, which you could then customise to suite.

Sorry if this is off point just interested in opinions really.
    SIF is able to do this through XML filtering.

Thank Post
    Are there any obstacles to SIF?
    Is SIF the only solution?

Thank Post
    Are there any obstacles to SIF?
    Is SIF the only solution?
    The only obstacles to SIF is supplier support, we have written SIF agent where needed and have been talking to suppliers regarding adopting SIF.

When talking to suppliers the driver is now having to support 2 new MIS in the form of progresso and aspen.

Progresso has a SIF agent but aspen doesn't yet.
    We also need schools to talk to their suppliers about SIF integration and when there will be support.

Is SIF the only answer, well yes and no. If you just want a common data model then no, there are others CTFs but these may not contain the required information, if you are wanting to keep multiple data sources in sync such as MIS, library system, learning platform, cashless catering with the potential for update from any system then SIF is the only answer.

Thank Post
    Does SIMS have a SIF agent?

I was thinking of alternatives which might be quicker in the short term, getting around my initial question of ad hoc data access, if SIF uptake is slow. Why is that by the way?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast