+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, Moving SIMS to new server in Technical; Hi All, I don't want all the answers here just any experiences that people have had with this? We are ...
    Thank Post

Moving SIMS to new server

Hi All,
    I don't want all the answers here just any experiences that people have had with this?

We are going to move our sims from a very old server 2003 server to Server 2008 R2.

I wondered if this is going to be a painful process or if it can be carried out pain free?

I have installed SQL 2008 on to the Server 2008 R2 server to have a play around for now and I have restored the latest SIMS database but I can see there is a lot more to it!

rad
    Thank Post
    The Pain free option I believe Capita can do this for you.

Not done it here but its on the cards so cant comment on practicality.

3. Thanks to rad from:

reggiep (13th February 2013)

Thank Post
    AH, the problem with the pain free method is I bet it costs a lot!

Thank Post
    Its fairly straightforward. If you ask Capita via Supportnet they should be able to send you a document which steps you through it. I did it 2 years ago with their document at my last place. At least you arent rebuilding the existing server so you can always keep it on standby in case it all goes pete tong.

6. Thanks to fiza from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by reggiep View Post
    AH, the problem with the pain free method is I bet it costs a lot!
    Probably available at a lower price from the LA?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fiza View Post
    If you ask Capita via Supportnet they should be able to send you a document which steps you through it.
    echo this - use the Capita doc as your main reference - any testing you can do is a bonus...

Also are you using SOLUS 2 or 3 (it makes a big difference).

If SOLUS 2 then have a look here for a very brief outline:

Changing SIMs Server
    Last edited by superfletch; 13th February 2013 at 12:42 PM.

9. Thanks to superfletch from:

Thank Post
    I've moved various SIMS instances in schools within our LA for them (Including sites with SOLUS3 and Discover too).

The basic steps are (assuming you do NOT have Discover or SOLUS3):

1. Detach all databases on old server, stop and disable the SQL and Docstorage services, disable the B2B scheduled tasks if you use B2B.
    2. Raname the old server and assign it a temporary IP address
    3. Get the new server online (keep the server name and IP the same as the old one if you can)
    4. Install SQL on new server
    5. Map a drive from the old server to the new one and copy the old Microsoft SQL Server folder to the root of C:/D: of the new server, copy SIMSAREA and DOCSTORAGE folders across to your data drive on the new server.
    6. Set up the new SIMSAREA share on the new server, map the S: drive on the new server
    7. Run SIMSSQLApplicationSetup.exe to install the SIMS SQL components into the new Binn folder
    8. Run DBAttach and attach the SIMS database thats in the old SQL server directory.
    9. Run FMSSQLApplicationSetup.exe to install the FMS SQL components into the new Binn folder
    10. Run the FMS DBattach and attach the FMS database.
    11. Run SIMSInst.exe and install SIMS .net and the Docstorage server components.
    12. Run FMSInst.exe and install the FMS client.
    13. Run both and test they work. (Update the Docstorage server name in SIMS .net if your new server has a different name to the old)

That's the basics of it. Obviously there is more detail to it which I'm happy to go into, and more steps if you have Discover and/or SOLUS3 installed too.
    Last edited by Rawns; 13th February 2013 at 12:53 PM.

11. Thanks to Rawns from:

Thank Post
    I'll ask them for that. Ta.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawns View Post
    Moved various SIMS instances in schools within our LA (Including SOLUS3/Discover too!!!)

The basic steps are (assuming you do NOT have Discover or SOLUS3):
    @Rawns

Having also done this - how have you found moving SOLUS 3??

I've had some schools where it's worked a treat and others where it is a massive PITA.

Capita's document for it is poor at best.

What do you do?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by superfletch View Post
    @Rawns

Having also done this - how have you found moving SOLUS 3??

I've had some schools where it's worked a treat and others where it is a massive PITA.

Capita's document for it is poor at best.

What do you do?
    I've not had an issue where it's gone Pete Tong, but it can be challenging at best. It also depends if the new server has the same name and IP address as the old server. Here is what I do (similar to Capita's solution):

Server with the same name:

1. If not present, download and install SQL Management Studio (I usually connect from my own workstation)
    2. Restore the latest SOLUS3 BACKUP via SQL management Studio (SOLUS3 cannot be restored using DBAttach)
    3. In Management Studio, expand the SOLUS3 Database > Security > Users and delete the 'domain\servername$' user.
    4. Manually install the SOLUS3 service on the new server.
    5. Manually install the SOLUS3 UI on the new server.
    6. Run the SOLUS3 UI & re-register the site in the new UI.
    7. Now to get the SOLUS3 agent installed onto the new server. In Management Studio, expand the SOLUS3 database > Tables, right click and select edit top 200 rows for the SOLUS3.Agent table. Find the old server in the list and in the agent_status cell for the old server, change the value from 2 (Offline) to 16 (Install Failed) and save.
    8. In the SOLUS3 UI, under the SOLUS3 Agents screen, the old server's status should now be listed as 'Install Failed' allowing you to highlight it and click on Reinstall Agent. SOLUS3 will now reinstall the agent onto the new server and you won't lose any links that have been set up in the your environment.

Server with a new name:

1. If not present, download and install SQL Management Studio (I usually connect from my own workstation)
    2. Restore the latest SOLUS3 BACKUP via SQL management Studio (SOLUS3 cannot be restored using DBAttach)
    3. In Management Studio, expand the SOLUS3 Database > Security > Users and delete the 'domain\servername$' user.
    4. Manually install the SOLUS3 service on the new server.
    5. Manually install the SOLUS3 UI on the new server.
    6. Run the SOLUS3 UI & change the Deployment Service Host Computer and Update Repository to point to the new server.
    7. Re-register the site in the new UI.
    8. Install the SOLUS3 Agent when prompted.
    9. In Management Studio, expand the SOLUS3 database > Tables, right click and edit top 200 rows for the SOLUS3.Agent table. Find the old server in the list and make a note of the GUID for the server name and copy this.
    10. Go to c:\program files\Solus3\AgentService and edit the following file Sims.Solus3.Agent.AgentService.exe.config
    11. Find where is says <agentInfo agentId="{ and replace the existing entry with the GUID copied from step 9
    12. Save and then restart the SOLUS3 Agent Service
    13. In the SOLUS3 UI, under the SOLUS3 Agents screen, the old server's status should now be listed as 'online'.
    14. In SQL Server Management Studio expand the SOLUS3 database > Tables, right click and edit top 200 rows for the SOLUS3.Agent table. Find the new server in the list and edit the agent_status column to 16
    15. In the SOLUS3 UI this will now show the new server as having a status of agent install failed. You can now remove this computer
    16. Back in SQL Server Management Studio in the SOLUS3.Agent table edit the name of the old server to reflect the name of the new server.

15. 2 Thanks to Rawns:

Calico_Jack (13th February 2013), superfletch (13th February 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,383 Times in 1,145 Posts
    Bear in mind the change from server 2003 to 2008 is fairly big.
    for example, the firewall will be kicked in by default. you'll get a warning on install of SQL, and need to allow it through, opening up teh correct ports to the network.
    their guide document might help. it's covered in another thread here, but there was a list they supplied of exactly which components you need to install and the accounts to install it under.
    if you want a new name , ip etc, then it's still feasible, just need to alter sims.ini and connect.ini to match. you can take a backup on old server and restore it to the new one, so don't need to turn off the old server until the last minute.
    other than that, what they said ^

edit: actually, from what you've done, there isn't that much more to it. not sure what's involved with setting up B2B if required, and or other third party stuff that connects, but that will be the only complex part really.
    i can't remember but i think there is somewhere in FMS that you have to link it to sims, be worth making sure that bit still works and is pointing to the correct place.
    Last edited by vikpaw; 13th February 2013 at 01:39 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by vikpaw View Post
    you can take a backup on old server and restore it to the new one, so don't need to turn off the old server until the last minute.
    other than that, what they said ^
    You can do this, but there is always ONE user who's connect.ini points directly to the server, and logs in during the migration process! Detaching the databases ensures everyone IS out of SIMS/FMS, and that no one will be able to get back in either!

Thank Post
    kick them out and stop network protocol

19. Thanks to vikpaw from:

Rawns (13th February 2013)

Thank Post
    Or hunt down the rogue user logged in and scream "WHY ARE YOU IN SIMS?! I SENT X NUMBER OF E-MAILS SAYING STAY OUT OF IT TODAY!!!"

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawns View Post
    Or hunt down the rogue user logged in and scream "WHY ARE YOU IN SIMS?! I SENT X NUMBER OF E-MAILS SAYING STAY OUT OF IT TODAY!!!"
    shutdown -i is your friend. i use it without hesitation if they have been warned, and a nice little script tells me who is logged in and from what machine

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast