+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, SIMS first time installer - simsperm/power user/suninacl queries in Technical; Hello all, Up until now anytime I have installed sims I have done so via an image configured by the ...

Thank Post

SIMS first time installer - simsperm/power user/suninacl queries

Hello all,

Up until now anytime I have installed sims I have done so via an image configured by the guy I replaced and it works fine.

I have had to build a new machine and manually install SIMS and am having a few issues.

Installed it fine via S:\sims\setups\simsinst, it was happy with all the settings, the software opens fine and accepts logins and SIMS looks to work fine.

The user in question need access to the 'examinations' part of SIMS, when she selects it from the focus menu she is shown an error message implying she needs to be a 'power user'

Firstly, what is a power user? I've never heard the phrase before, and there isn't a 'power users' group in my AD.

My next though was loggin in as a domain admin (incase that is what a power user is), opening SIMS, logging into SIMS as the user and then attempting to open examinations, but I get the same message about power users.

After some reading I found that a lot of people run 'simsperm.bat' so I decided to run that, so I ran 'S:\sims\setups\simsperm.bat mydomain\theuser' from a command prompt, only to be told that subinacl is not a recognized command about 30 times in a row before it stops.

So I then went out and downloaded/installed subinacl on the machine but still get the same error.

I then found someone with a similar problem and they were told to check that subinacl was in the same folder that simsperm is, which it definitely seems to be, I even had the .exe and the .msi in there at the same time.

Does anyone know my next logical step so I can get SIMS running lovely?

Cheers muchly in advance.

Thank Post
    Also if I run SIMS as..either domain or local admin.

I get "Incorrect S:\sims\connect.ini file : System Exception.

Not sure if that is important

Thank Post
    Further information - I have copied the details from the connect.ini files in the S:\sims directory and copying them to my client machine, I then tried everything I have already mentioned above with the exact same results.

Thank Post
    Incorrect S:\SIMS\Conenct.ini usually means there is no S: drive, or the user does not have access to the S:\ drive.

When you copied the details, did you "add" them to the Connect.ini file in C:\Program Files\SIMS\SIMS .net or replace the details? If you added them, the redirect command will still be there and could cause issues.

Try deleting the Connect.ini file in C:\Program Files\SIMS\SIMS .net and then running SIMS again and point SIMS directly to the SQL server.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawns View Post
    When you copied the details, did you "add" them to the Connect.ini file in C:\Program Files\SIMS\SIMS .net or replace the details?
    I made a copy of the original connect.ini, and ensured that then new connect.ini was exactly the same as the one on the server.

Try deleting the Connect.ini file in C:\Program Files\SIMS\SIMS .net and then running SIMS again and point SIMS directly to the SQL server.
    I'll try that after the machine has installed it's updated and rebooted, I only get "Incorrect S:\SIMS\Conenct.ini" when I try to run as local/domain administrator, usually when I launch SIMS it's fine, until I try to open "examinations" at that point I get told I need to be a power user to change the .net binaries...or something along those lines.

Thank Post
    That has been done, doing it that way gave me a whole new error were I couldn'y login, so I copied the old connect.ini back and SIMS now opens fine, I can log in, browse the database.

But as soon as I try to open examination I get the error...

"Unable to register the new versions of SIMS .NET binaries. This is probably because you are not configured as a power user on this machine. Please log on as administrator and run Profiles again to fix the problem"

What is 'running profiles' and why is it saying run it again as if I've already run it once?

Thank Post
    Try re-running SIMSApplicationSetup.exe as admin, sounds like something didn't complete on the installation

And make sure the sims drive is mapped for the admin account

8. Thanks to Greg from:

lquinnuk (7th February 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Try re-running SIMSApplicationSetup.exe as admin

yes frankly, cheers for that, that's sorted it all, I must say I'm both pleased it's working and disgusted that it was that simple.

Cheers Pal.
    Last edited by vikpaw; 10th February 2013 at 08:32 AM. Reason: language

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread