+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, Nova T6 - offline in Technical; One of our members of staff has now taken on Timetabling with SIMS Nova T6 and is asking me if ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Nova T6 - offline

One of our members of staff has now taken on Timetabling with SIMS Nova T6 and is asking me if I can set up a machine for her to use offline - is this achievable - if so what do I need to do. I'm guessing it's a pretty big PITA job for an inexperienced SQL user like me?

Thank Post
    If you log onto Capita Support net, there is a KB with step by step instructions - KB29541 - How to install Nova programmes as satellite installations

3. Thanks to Greg from:

speckytecky (24th January 2013)

Thank Post
    I found a way of doing it. Didn't use the satellite method. Seems to work fine, staff member is happy.

Create a batch file:

Code:
    subst S: C:\LocalNova
    C:\Program Files (x86)\SIMS .net\NT6.exe
    subst /d S:
    Then create a folder called LocalNova on C: (where you put it is up to you, just change the script).

Now copy the necessary folder structure from your network SIMS (usually your S: drive) directory into that folder - you need to have the SIMS\SNOVA folder contents.

Create a shortcut to your batch file, call it Local NovaT6, and stick it somewhere convenient for her like the desktop.

Now when she runs that, it'll subst the drive and load NT6. When NT6 is closed, it deletes the subst'd drive. You can tidy the code to hide the prompt etc. Any created files in the local SNOVA folder would then need to be transferred into the S: drive when back on the network.

Make sure that the SIMS.ini and connect.ini are working and complete also, or it won't work.

5. Thanks to 3s-gtech from:

Thank Post
    Hi

I got this off the internet sometime back it might help.Nova 1.PNGNova 2.PNGNova 3.PNGNova 4.PNG

7. Thanks to Steven_Cleaver from:

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Thanks Steven.

I was just wondering before spending more time on this - what is the purpose of this satellite installation anyhow. I haven't many hours at work and I'm just wondering if chasing my tail to try and get this up and running for the lady on Monday so she can practice for her course on Wednesday is a worthwhile venture?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by speckytecky View Post
    Thanks Steven.

I was just wondering before spending more time on this - what is the purpose of this satellite installation anyhow. I haven't many hours at work and I'm just wondering if chasing my tail to try and get this up and running for the lady on Monday so she can practice for her course on Wednesday is a worthwhile venture?
    It is usually so they can construct the timetable on Nova 6 and play with Time Table changes without going anywhere near SIM's or the Time Table in school we have a couple of Staff using this our Deputy Head and MIS Officer so they can work on changes together and as our MIS Officer is new she is attending the Nova 6 timetabling course with Capita before having a go at constructing the schools new time table with Deputy Head and is using this on the training so she can work on the schools Time tabling on the course and get advice, if this makes sense but feel free to ask anything else, it is reasonably easy to do with the guide just follow this step by step, I always use this as I only do this rarely and never can remember how to do it.

Once completed on their laptops they can transfer this to SIM's.
    Last edited by Steven_Cleaver; 24th January 2013 at 06:32 PM.

10. Thanks to Steven_Cleaver from:

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread