+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, CTF Export for ULN - Problem in Technical; Im having issues creating a ULN for upload to Secure Data Transfer to request ULNs for 1400 or so of ...

Thank Post

CTF Export for ULN - Problem

Im having issues creating a ULN for upload to Secure Data Transfer to request ULNs for 1400 or so of our students.

Firstly, I tried exporting the simple CTF using the CTF for ULN request function Routines Data Out CTF Export CTF CTF For ULN Request

This did not contain any address/postcode data and therefore is not accepted by the DFE.

I then tried to export a partial CTF with the data requested by the DFE helpline, Basic Data and Address Data.

When try to upload this data the DFE site is giving me the error message below:

- This file does not appear to be a valid 10.0, 11.0 of 12.0 CTF File - Please contact your school MIS vendor
    - The element 'BS7666Address' in namespace " has incomplete content. List of possible elements expected: 'UniqueStreetReferenceNumber, Locality, Town, AdministrativeArea' in namespace".

Any ideas how to proceed? I've raised a support call with Capita.

Obviously, the size of this place, I don't want to have to do this manually...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,160 Times in 794 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeGee View Post
    Obviously, the size of this place, I don't want to have to do this manually...
    I've not tried this yet since we upgraded our SIMS, but I wonder if it's something to do with the new format of CTF's? I can only ponder...

What I can say is that doing this manually isn't that bad really, I tend to do it manually as I find it a bit quicker. Just create a report of all your students on roll and drop their UPN number in. Export to Excel, copy and paste the column and you're done! I think there's a limit on 250 students at a time this way, but I still find it quicker than faffing about with CTF's myself.

Thank Post
    I'm sure I saw a News Item on the Supportnet Homepage relating to CTF for ULN export a couple of weeks ago. If you have access to Supportnet, do a search from the Homepage on CTF 12 and it should appear. See if that answers your question.

Thank Post
    Yep, apparently there is a known issue:

CTF Export: ULN Request/Update (Added 08/01 15:00)
    Please note that the file created for the ULN Request/Update CTF export conforms to the requirement agreed with the DfE. However, we understand that s2s and LRS imports will reject these files as they do not include Post Code. I am meeting with the DfE on Wednesday and I expect a solution to be agreed for implementation ASAP.
    but no updates since. Looks like someone moved the goalposts again.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    I tend to do it manually as I find it a bit quicker. Just create a report of all your students on roll and drop their UPN number in. Export to Excel, copy and paste the column and you're done!
    I have made the report to do this in the past. However, I can't for the life of me remember where I have to paste the UPNs!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,160 Times in 794 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeGee View Post
    I have made the report to do this in the past. However, I can't for the life of me remember where I have to paste the UPNs!
    I just went to look for you and I can't see it either now, looks like it's CTF or nothing!

Thank Post
    I don't have anything to do with the CENSUS and SIMS, but my data manager had the same error and asked me to install this.

Learning Records Service - Publications & tutorials - Tools - Validation tool

She didn't get back to me and the CENSUS has gone so I take it it must have resolved the issue.

Thank Post
    Sorry to raise an old thread. Did anyone get anywhere with this. I am having the same issue an Capita Helpdesk tell me it's because our addresses are not formatted properly e.g. no house number on some addresses. I pointed out this is correct as we are in a rural area so sometimes houses don't have numbers. Told me to raise it with S2S!

Thank Post
    I've submitted our ULN request via the S2S system this afternoon and was originally getting the message this file does not appear to be a valid 10.0, 11.0 of 12.0 CTF File - Please contact your school MIS vendor. This was to do with house names in the house number field. Once we had fixed this I didn't get the CTF error message. We also got to the point whereby some addresses that we had validated in SIMS were not being accepted and/or we were getting error messages saying there is no street name. In the end, we have ended up doing the bulk upload tool via a ctf for the majority of students and then going to the Learning Record Service and searching manually for the few remaining. I know it doesn't solve the issue - but that's the way we got around it. (Thank goodness for that as it took me ages to sort!)

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I had this problem, it was related to how house numbers were stored in SIMS. Open the further information link on the error message and see if you have something related to addresses and PAON type in there. The address module is a bit of a mess on pupil details and you have House Name, House Number and Apartment Number. our problems came from kids in apartments where the Apartment Number was put into House Number for example. It's really complicated to explain!

For example, someone living on Flat 22 Example House on Edu Street should have Flat 22 in Apartment Number, Example House in house Name and Edu Street in Street name with House Number blank. We had Flat 22 in House Number!

Thank Post
    An error with the CTF version can be resolved by opening the CTF file in Notepad on the fourth line down you see the CTF Version (probably 12.0) change this to 10.0 and Save. S2S will then recognise the file and upload it.

Thank Post
    Did anyone have any further advice on this. Here is my error:

XXXXXX_CTF_ULNLLLL_006.xml - This file does not appear to be a valid 10.0, 11.0, 12.0 CTF File - Please contact your School MIS Vendor LEA element is invalid - The value ULN is invalid according to its datatype "Union" - The value ULN is not valid according to any of the memberTypes of the the union

No idea how to fix it. Capita blame S2S, S2S blame LRS - I just need my ULNs!

Fixed it by changing the destination school from the one they mention in their document to our own school!
    Last edited by jcollings; 6th December 2013 at 10:51 AM.

Thank Post
    jcollins, have you opened up the CTF in notepad to find out its version? See example:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <CTfile>
    <Header>
    <DocumentName>Common Transfer File</DocumentName>
    <CTFversion>12.0</CTFversion>

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread