+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, Auto Export Marksheet in Technical; Hi Everyone, Does anyone know if it's possible (and any example syntax!) to use command reporter to export marksheets? We've ...

Thank Post

Auto Export Marksheet

Hi Everyone,

Does anyone know if it's possible (and any example syntax!) to use command reporter to export marksheets? We've created a marksheet that we want to auto-export (and if possible export it as tab delimited).

Cheers!

John

Thank Post
    Don't think so, you can only do it (as far as I remember and stand to be corrected) by setting up a report and then referencing that in commandreporter.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,383 Times in 1,145 Posts
    The problem with reports will be they are complex to get right, especially if there's lots of data you want out. It can also take a long time to run. Scheduling is the easy bit.
    It is possible to get the data out, and using macros in Excel to pivot it as well so it looks like the marksheet. I'm not sure if the format would be correct for csv / tab, as you'll most likely end up with a list of student name against grade, and each student will be repeated down the list with a different grade, or, you'll end up with every grade repeated on every row.
    Maybe there is something you can do with Discover and then use that to export the data..?

4. Thanks to vikpaw from:

Soulfish (22nd January 2013)

Thank Post
    Been trying this as well and trying to extract the data through Reports(with some advice from Vikpaw and other people) but as Vikpaw has said it is complicated specifically around linking different fields so Classes and Grade sets end up with multiple data so classes multiple times etc. Need to use Filters to filter the data I am confident I could get all Grades out but linking thoses to classes in SIM's report without multiple data being produced is tricky. See image if this helps.

Extracted data SIM's Report.PNG

6. Thanks to Steven_Cleaver from:

Thank Post
    What i have managed to do on this front is to get a report to produce a pivot table, by embedding a macro.
    It was for a high school transcript, so needs to take any grades based on the final 4 years of study.
    I then had to import a custom sorting list into Excel, so that when i pivotted on resultset, it was able to put the 'wordy' values into the correct chronological order.
    It seems to work quite well.
    I suppose it could be extended to save a cvs / tab file after.

I'm pretty sure if you get what you want in the report, you can just output to csv anyway. You just might have to parse the data a little, and not suppress duplicates.

8. Thanks to vikpaw from:

Thank Post
    Essentially what this is for is a seperate reporting system that we've developed in house based on SSRS (SQL Server Reporting Services). We currently have 9 modules a year in all subjects, so providing we get the module levels/grade results, EoY targets (and various other bits of baseline data, class code etc) into the SSRS system from SIMS we're able to report on various progress/attainment metrics on a per class/tutor group/subject/year/academic year combination.

One of the reasons for doing this outside of SIMS is that we've got much greater flexibility. We RAG rate all of our students progress differentially on a per module/subject level against minimum EoY targets so that everyone isn't just red at module 1 . It also lets us very quickly get out how specific groups are performing. While I know discover can do some of what we're looking at, it can't report the data in the same way our internal system does or be as flexible. We also have several areas of extension we're looking at such as using it to produce our end of module reports for parents (it is reporting services after all!).

Since we only add data at the end of a module (when the end of module test or similar has been carried out) exporting overnight isn't an issue. Looks like I'm going to have to play with turning our marksheets into reports as well . I know that you can have a report export to tab delimited, so hopefully once I figure out how to get the correct aspects/grade sets etc into the report it should be fine. May have to call on your expertise at some point vik

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Oh, if it's for a system to read and not a human that's an easier ballgame. Plan your aspects and result sets in SIMS then use reporting to extract those results. Just keep everything really easy to type as you won't have an aspect browser in Reporting.

Student focused report with their name, admission number and an Assessment Results subreport should do the trick. You can also export their key indicators like FSM and SEN Status for use in the system (SLT will like that!).

11. Thanks to CAM from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,170 Times in 798 Posts
    I do something similar here, although my system currently sits as an interim between SIMS and SISRA
    [as a side note, I like to name my systems; this one is called SIMRA, because it's a mix of the two names and reminds me of Thundercats]

As @CAM rightly says, making a system readable report is a much easier game. Personally, I'd make use of result sets to make your life easier here. Use a result set for each module, regardless of subject. Then, filter your report to return all results related to those result sets, then you can use the aspect name to identify the subject. (you can do this the other way around and use result sets to identify subjects and aspects to identify modules, but chances are it'll result in a lot more complex filters as you'll likely have a damn site more than 9 subjects to filter on!)

Class names are a bit trickier - I got around this by having a report export all classes and their subject name, which I then created a lookup table for linking aspect names to subjects, allowing my system to find the relevant class.

I run all my reports as XML as I find coding XML parsers a bit easier, but that's just personal preference really.

One final note - I wouldn't use admission number for your ID; I used to do this, but then realised that guest students do not get an admission number! This was causing havoc with an ID card system I made so I started instead to use Person_ID (you'll need to be in the "Third Party Reporting" access group in System Manager to see it) as all students get this number. You could also use "External_ID," but it's much longer and harder to diagnose problems if you have any IMO.
    Last edited by LosOjos; 22nd January 2013 at 10:34 AM.

13. 3 Thanks to LosOjos:

CAM (22nd January 2013), Soulfish (22nd January 2013), vikpaw (23rd January 2013)

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Sweet, I didn't know about Person_ID.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,170 Times in 798 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CAM View Post
    Sweet, I didn't know about Person_ID.
    That one caused me quite a headache! Took me ages to figure out why certain students wouldn't feed through to my system, all the time assuming that admission number was global! We don't have guest students any more, but I always use Person_ID now just to be on the safe side

Thank Post
    You could cheat and create a read only user for the SIMS SQL server and hack it out direct. If you just want to pipe it into another SQL system. If you can make sense of the SIMS structure, you could just join together a few tables into a view and utilise it that way.

Thank Post
    I actually do use admission number, because it's used externally, and is easier to access. It's teh PC login, library barcode, ID card barcode, and unique identifier on other systems too. For all other people (read adults) for security reasons we put national ID numbers in anyway, so use that, we're just trialling it on our face recognition system for clocking in and out, which is basically and over engineered solution to prove someone didn't turn up on time!
    The good thing about person_id is that all people are sourced from the same table and everyone not just students has to have one, but you have to attack from a different angle to make sure you only get current / valid members.

Thank Post
    We have used the Person_ID and linked this into students AD accounts as this is how we link students in Insight so they can access Insight using their AD Username and Passwords, the reason we used Person_ID is as Vik said this is sourced from the same table and everyone in SIM's has one not just students so long term I want to try and extract the Data out of SIM's analyse this and use the Person_ID to direct specific data at specific user on logon so their data and progress would be displayed to each user so Progress is updated centrally and this would be automatically updated. At the moment students put the Progress information in their Hand books and we conduct and Analyse Surveys to check students understanding of targets and assessment which is then fed back and has been analysed over the last three years to check that departments are progressing with this, which works well just wanted to make this seamless so as soon as information is updated centrally as regards Assessment this feeds through.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread