+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, Sims install files for setting up test environment in Technical; I would like to set up SIms on a laptops i can use it for testing and getting to know ...
    Thank Post

Arrow Sims install files for setting up test environment

I would like to set up SIms on a laptops i can use it for testing and getting to know my way around certain modules. Does anyone know where you can get the set up files from or help me achieve this?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,733 Times in 1,496 Posts
    Blog Entries
    In your Sims drive under setups.

Thank Post
    As @FN-GM said, the installers should be on your SIMS folder (I think the usual standard is S:\SIMS\Setups). Run SIMSInst.exe and follow the on screen instructions to install the SIMS .net client.

If your School uses SOLUS3 to install/upgrade SIMS, you'll need to chat to your ICT/Network support to get the laptop added into the SOLUS3 environment so SIMS .net can be deployed to it.

Just noticed in your title, you have "test environment". Do you mean you want the SIMS client installed and pointed to your live system just to learn about the features/menu routes etc, or do you want to actually plan to play around with SIMS by putting fake data into the system? When SIMS is installed, it will need to be pointed to a SIMS database which I guess would be a live database on your school server so won't be ideal for actual testing and playing around in. It may be worth looking at installing a local MS SQL Express instance on your laptop (or into a VM) and restore a copy of a SIMS backup into it so you can play around with it to your hearts content without worrying about causing any damage to a live system.
    Last edited by Rawns; 18th January 2013 at 02:56 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawns View Post
    It may be worth looking at installing a local MS SQL Express instance on your laptop (or into a VM) and restore a copy of a SIMS backup into it so you can play around with it to your hearts content without worrying about causing any damage to a live system.
    This what i would like but have no idea how to go about this.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,400 Times in 1,160 Posts
    Search on SupportNet or ask support for the installable ISO. this will install a clean version for you.
    You just need to install SQL first, or it should put Express on for you. A VM is a good idea so you can install win server too and make it more realistic.
    It's easier than copying your setups which is most likely quite large. Then you just need to apply the upgrade ISOs to bring it up to date. The installable release is usually on Spring.
    Use a hardcoded connect.ini and a different drive letter for safety.
    You can start from scratch or restore your data. If you restore, then you'll need a copy of docstorage to use your templates and will need to configure it each time you restore a backup from a live server to test.
    There was a thread that went into more detail, a while ago if you need.

6. 2 Thanks to vikpaw:

Kyle (19th January 2013), Rawns (21st January 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanks Vik,

I've looked on Support net and cant seem to find the ISO. I have also had a quick search for the thread you mentioned with no luck.

Think i am going to need a lot of help wit this or i may have to just dismiss the idea :-(

Thank Post
    SIMS Server Install Guide
    Try that post, which is a bit more ordered.

I think they started to hide the ISO, so you have to request it now. It used to be updated into a KB article: KB110102 - Where can I find the CD image for the SIMS installable release - but now refers you to contact teh helpdesk. Creating a new database was where we finally got access, but the KB has been altered.
    Last edited by vikpaw; 19th January 2013 at 12:10 PM.

9. 2 Thanks to vikpaw:

Kyle (19th January 2013), Rawns (21st January 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanks Vik,

Ideally i would want to do a fresh install, brink it up to date with patches/releases and then use a copy of our data in a test environment. I intend to install Server 2008 on a spare PC we have and run it on that.

Thank Post
    Sounds like a good plan.

Thank Post
    Good idea. However if you want the ability to roll back/restore previous versions if something breaks or goes wrong, loading it into a VM may be a better option to allow things like snapshots. VirtualBox is free and perfect for it. Plus when your VM is running as you want it, you can back up the VM file somewhere. We run all of our test systems in VirtualBox and it's great. When a new version is out, grab a copy of the current VM and upgrade it. We have a repository with the previous six full and beta versions of SIMS .net.

13. 2 Thanks to Rawns:

Kyle (21st January 2013), vikpaw (21st January 2013)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread