+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, Converting UMS Marks to Grades in SIM's in Technical; Hi Is their any easy way to create a Grade Aspect in SIM's to convert UMS marks to a Grade ...
    Thank Post

Converting UMS Marks to Grades in SIM's

Hi

Is their any easy way to create a Grade Aspect in SIM's to convert UMS marks to a Grade so something like 240, 239, 238 etc to 201 all equals A* 200, 199, 198 to 180 equals B etc. Without having to list each integer. So link a grade to a Value Range A* to 240-201 etc or a difefrent way of doing this.
    Last edited by Steven_Cleaver; 15th January 2013 at 09:04 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,306 Times in 1,088 Posts
    Yes, that is exactly how the aspect would work. You only need enter the grades i.e. A*-E and then the points value for each would be a suitable grade boundary. So in your example A* = 201 any thing that isn't that high falls down to the next lowest. So you could put A = 191, B = 181.

3. Thanks to vikpaw from:

Steven_Cleaver (16th January 2013)

Thank Post
    Cheers Vikpaw your a Star, thanks the reason we are looking at this is we have always had a central system for Assessment\Progress based on reports three times a year and this is really well used year but classes and subjects do their own module tracking and progress in their own systems but we want to do this in SIM's.

Thanks again Vikpaw really appreciatted.
    Last edited by Steven_Cleaver; 16th January 2013 at 09:08 AM.

Thank Post
    Just beware that if you later want to compare that aspect to other similar grade aspects, the value of each grade may differ, for example for points scores etc. You may choose to after doing the conversion copy the grade into another aspect. Or using a formula for marks to grade, enter the grade boundaries on the fly as part of the formula. But you've got the gist of how it works now, so mess around with it.

Thank Post
    Chers again my only concern is if UMS points change and Historic data what do you think would be the best way to handle this if a points score changed for a grade would this cause an issue with Historic data and the Historic Grade if we changed this aspect. But your right just need to mess with this and test.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,029 Times in 729 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven_Cleaver View Post
    Chers again my only concern is if UMS points change and Historic data what do you think would be the best way to handle this if a points score changed for a grade would this cause an issue with Historic data and the Historic Grade if we changed this aspect. But your right just need to mess with this and test.
    So long as you use a different result set (or just the date), then any historic results should not be changed. To alter the points allocated to grades, open up the relevant gradeset and you'll see a "version" field, with a date range applied. Just create a new one when you alter the points and old results *should* show points from the version number active when they were entered (theoretically, I've not tested that!)

8. Thanks to LosOjos from:

Thank Post

be careful with UMS conversions

A couple of points to make here. If the UMS associated with an exam module changes then it is highly likely that it is a new course or syllabus so I would not change the conversions and instead use a different aspect. Here I record the actual score in a separate aspect to the UMS. You may also find that the relationship between the actual score and the UMS changes from exam season to season, witness the recent furore over GCSE English, and it is not always a simple scaling conversion as the gaps between grades are not always the same.

10. Thanks to number34 from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    So long as you use a different result set (or just the date), then any historic results should not be changed. To alter the points allocated to grades, open up the relevant gradeset and you'll see a "version" field, with a date range applied. Just create a new one when you alter the points and old results *should* show points from the version number active when they were entered (theoretically, I've not tested that!)
    Cheers not to sure about a diiferen't Result set as I think this might cause confuison elsewhere and start to make it complicated with too many result sets but hadn't realised the Version field so date range applied deffinately sounds like a good one to try and test first thanks.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by number34 View Post
    A couple of points to make here. If the UMS associated with an exam module changes then it is highly likely that it is a new course or syllabus so I would not change the conversions and instead use a different aspect. Here I record the actual score in a separate aspect to the UMS. You may also find that the relationship between the actual score and the UMS changes from exam season to season, witness the recent furore over GCSE English, and it is not always a simple scaling conversion as the gaps between grades are not always the same.
    Good point about the likely hood of Sylabus or Course change and would if this were the case probably look at using a different Aspect but haven't looked at UMS before and how this relates and just trying to think everything through before we agree with departments to set this up I was thinking of just setting this in Excel lookup tables and then staff enter the grade but have staff saying this is a lot of extra work even though we set up the sheets if they want so am just seeing how many issues it would cause if we tried to do it in SIM's directly with the conversions.

Thank Post
    I do use SIMS for the conversions and staff just have to enter their test marks. It is much better than using Excel.

Thank Post
    Cheers this is the way we would like to do it I just wanted to make sure it was workable and try and get a feel for all the pit falls

Thank Post
    I have created a Grade Set for some UMS Grade Boundaries (A* - 108, A - 96 etc.) and then subsequent Aspect and Result Set, but when I have tried to enter data on a Marksheet in a column attached to my new Aspect I am getting the Invalid Value error message as I am entering a score (108) and not a Grade. I went back to the Grade Set to swap the Grade and Value around but you can't put an alphabetical figure into the Value field. This has then made me question how you can put in a UMS Score which is inbetween grades as surely I will get another invalid value error as you can only enter the values that are on the Grade Set.
    Please can someone help me, and tell me what I need to do to get a Grade Set set up so that I can convert a UMS Score into a Grade, using boundaries and not having to type in hundreds of values/grades (eg. 107 - A, 106 - A, 105 - A, 104 - B, 103 - B).
    Thanks!

Thank Post
    @LianneKemp - you would need another aspect that is say integer values from 0-250, this could store your UMS values. then in a marksheet template you put that aspect and a data entry by formula which is a marks to grade, which takes the ums aspect and looks up the value in your correctly created grade aspect, and fills in the relevant letter (grade)

Thank Post
    Thanks I'll try that

Thank Post
    shout if you need more explanation, that might have been a bit too concise!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast