+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
MIS Systems Thread, Converting UMS Marks to Grades in SIM's in Technical; Cheers Vikpaw we were able to work it out from the info you provided, as always really appreciatted we can ...
    Thank Post
    Cheers Vikpaw we were able to work it out from the info you provided, as always really appreciatted we can kinda see where we could develop this more.

Thank Post
    Hi
    I have just created a Grade Set in SIMS to convert a Total UMS Score into a Grade. The UMS grade is A* - 360, A - 320, B - 280, C - 240, D - 200, E - 160, F - 120, G - 80, U - 79, U - 0. As you can see, 79 is a U and so is 0 but SIMS doesn't let you have duplicate grades in a Grade Set, so i have had to leave it as 79 is a U. When i calculated my Marksheet, it doesnt populate a grade for anyone who has a UMS score of less than 79. I thought that SIMS would recognise a score as being less than 79 and know it is a U.
    Is there something I am missing here?
    Any help would be appreciated!!
    Lianne

Thank Post
    @LianneKemp just have U set to 0 in your gradeset and it will assign U to anything over and above 0, but less than 80

4. Thanks to MattMitchell from:

LianneKemp (30th April 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,201 Times in 814 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MattMitchell View Post
    @LianneKemp just have U set to 0 in your gradeset and it will assign U to anything over and above 0, but less than 80
    Just to expand a little, SIMS always rounds down to the nearest grade, therefore you should think of your scores as boundaries, where each score is the minimum required for that grade (the same way the exam boards do it). This is why setting U to 0 will result in anything less than 80 being a U, as at 80 it will be high enough to gain a G in your example gradeset

6. Thanks to LosOjos from:

LianneKemp (30th April 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanks both for your quick responses - ive changed U to 0 in the Grade Set and this has worked! Thank you!!

Thank Post
    Just when you thought that was the last from me (for today)...I've managed to sort out my grade sets now so the marks entered for different units are calculated into a grade, but my traffic light formula no longer works because the value of the target grade and the topic grade is now different (the target grade has the KS Point Score grade set - A- 52, B - 46 etc and the topic grade I have calculated is using an ISA grade set).
    Is there a way you can convert a grade back to points, and then back to a grade again - so id be converting the newly calculated grade to the KS point score and then using this in my formula?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,158 Posts
    A grade is actually just the underlying points score, what you see is the display view. You can add / multiply the grade and it will affect the points. You could then try to convert it to the other gradeset but there needs to be a relationship between one gradeset and the other. e.g. *5 + 10. Though it doesn't look that simple.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,201 Times in 814 Posts
    Another method you can use is to create lookup tables. I do that here to convert AQA unit scores in to UMS and from there in to GCSE grades. I wrote a bit about how to do it over in the Data Managers group, here: http://www.edugeek.net/groups/data-m.../#gmessage1884

You'd create your lookup tables as described above, then in an AM7 template you'd need a LOOKUP formula referencing your previously made lookup table, then a "Marks to grade" formula column which would convert your points back in to a grade. You can then hide your calculation columns and just show the grade if you want, makes it a bit easy for teachers to read
    Last edited by LosOjos; 1st May 2013 at 03:09 PM.

Thank Post
    Workin on something more accurate but try * 7 -30

Thank Post
    Wasn't sure if you can multiply / divide by decimals, but you can, so roughly * 6.67 and subtract 26.67 . Or for a better result do 3 formulae. Multiply by 20, Subtract 80 (well Plus -80) and then divide by 3. Gives the exact answer for the two sets you gave. You can then convert back to a grade.

A lookup table is way easier, i just 'needed' to know how they were linked. Plus if different sets of scores have different gradesets, you don't want to keep putting formulae in, a named lookup table is a much better reference and easier for someone else to follow.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12