+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, Upgrading Solus2 to Solus 3 in Technical; Hi, I am looking for some advice. I am new to supporting SIMS and I have been given the job ...

Thank Post

Upgrading Solus2 to Solus 3

Hi, I am looking for some advice. I am new to supporting SIMS and I have been given the job of udating SOLUS 2 to SOLUS 3. I want to create a test environment and update several lap tops using SOLUS 3 prior to updating schools. I have a few questions if anybody would not mind answering:

1) Do I download SOLUS 3 and install on to the server or does each laptop have a copy of SOLUS 3 on it?
    2) Is there a way of rolling back to SOLUS 2 if SOLUS 3 does not install as anticipated?

Thank Post
    Not sure about 2, but you install the SOLUS3 environment on the server (in our case, our SIMS server). This has it's own DB in MSSQL. You then deploy the agents to the clients from the server (it integrates with AD to find PCs, but it can do more). The agents then check the server for updates, so when you deploy a SIMS update (or a SIMS install) the agent pulls it to the client.

Thank Post
    Once SOLUS3 is in place and agents are on the SIMS, FMS and Discover workstations, it will block the old SOLUS2 method (SIMSload.exe) from checking and applying any updates in the Setups folder. If you do roll back to SOLUS2, you will either need to fully remove the SOLUS3 agents from the devices so that SIMSLoad.exe can work again, or disable the SOLUS3 Agent service on each workstation.

Before going fully SOLUS3, ensure that everything is in place to avoid any nasty issues (Accurate DNS, firewall ports open on all devices, no corrupt WMI repositorys etc)

Be warned, SOLUS3 is NOT a nice piece of software to use.

Thank Post
    1) Install to the server. When SOLUS3 is setup you add the workstations/laptops in SOLUS3 as SIMS and/or FMS agents. That will allow updates to go out and install SIMS and FMS if its not already there.

2)I never have had any problems from SOLUS3 not installing properly. Most of the problems have come later (from my user error) when messing around with the settings in SOLUS3. Worst case scenario would be restoring from a backup. Otherwise just uninstall SOLUS3 from server and uninstall the SOLUS3 agents from the laptops.

Extra Advice (Nicked this off a post Rawns did cos its good advice, link here):
    - When you're authorising releases ensure that you select the correct release! (e.g. select 'SIMS 2012 Summer 4' and not 'SIMS Database Summer 2012 Update')
    - Ensure you've got a decent GPO setup for the firewall exceptions (or disable it completely!)
    - Ensure DNS is 100% - a dodgy DNS will play havoc with S3 as it will always resolve the hostname.
    - Use group policy to install .net 4 - S3 can install this but may cause restarts without warning
    - You have to release at least 1 update per channel in order to install new workstations - i.e. once your server is setup, release the current version of SIMS, FMS and Discover before adding any clients. This will bring S3 up to the correct version. When adding new workstations, they will now install automatically (provided a sims.ini + connect.ini is defined).
    - When browsing the AD within a channel, any workstations within AD Groups will not appear. You must navigate to the topmost OU folder to make these appear (hope that makes sense).
    - When registering a new site you may receive an error (Violation of Primary Key...) - Just try again and the site will register.
    - S3 isn't good at telling you when it's unable to reach the internet - If something isn't working as it should, ensure that proxy is correct and that internet is working.
    - Delete the old setups folder only if you intend to never ever use SOLUS2 again for things like patches or license activators. Some patches are still not available/auto-deployable in SOLUS3 and it's quicker to just bash them out using SOLUS2 (if you have an automatic routine to in place to apply them!), but this requires a "Setups" folder. May be worth leaving the Setups folder there but deleting/moving the contents instead to "encourage" you to stop installing SIMS in the old way

5. Thanks to Ghostgame from:

Rawns (10th January 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanks to all your useful comments. I will keep you posted with how I get on.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread