+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, Getting SIMS to analyse A*-C exam results correctly? in Technical; Producing a subject/grade analysis in PM seems to ignore short courses, treating all the results as if they were full ...

Thank Post

Getting SIMS to analyse A*-C exam results correctly?

Producing a subject/grade analysis in PM seems to ignore short courses, treating all the results as if they were full courses.

Hence the statistics produced are misleading.

e.g. if a (very small !) school got 30 out of 60 students achieving 5 grade A*-C passes then PM reports the school as having 50% 5 A*-C. However if say 20 of those students achieving 5 grade A*-C passes were following short courses in all their subjects then each grade counts for only half a grade meaning that these 20 in fact only had the equivalent of 2.5 A*-C grades each. In this rather extreme example it means the true % 5 A*-C for the school is only 10 out of 60 or 16.6%, not 50%.

I my school some subjects are entirely short course, some entirely full and some subject have some students following short and some following full

How can I get SIMS to correctly show me the true % 5A*-C achieved without going through each result by hand and doing it manually?

Howard

(incidentallly a similar problem exists with double science but this time SIMS reports twice the number of enties)

Thank Post

Re: Getting SIMS to analyse A*-C exam results correctly?

OK fixed this as well myself. You can't. You have to create a new group containing all the short course people and another with all the full course . Then you have to select these groups separately with PM. Very labour intensive!
    Howard

Thank Post

Iceman, below is a response from our exams expert!

This is more complex than it appears. This is in part because among the UABs, only AQA makes any connection in their basedata structure between the units and 'cash-ins' that constitute a given specification, and even here it is incomplete, in that a single header contains both the AS and the A2 units. When Examinations Organiser was at the design stage, the question arose of whether to incorporate a certification predictor, and in consultation with the UABs we came down firmly against - it is their job to certificate, not ours to second-guess and, potentially, conflict. In most cases it is, in the event, a fairly mechanistic process, but this is not guaranteed. Maths, for example, is particularly complex.

What EO6 does provide is the Linear Progress Check, which assembles for the Exams Officer candidates' result history relevant to a given course, but stops short of drawing any inferences from this. It was at our request, to support this process, that the boards provide the annual ULinks file, which specifies what units may be used to contribute to what certifications.

Using the Results Export facility, unit scores for a season may be brought into a spreadsheet, and manipulated there; this displays not only the mark, but also the percentage, for cases where the maximum UMS varies between the units. Depending on the way the particular UAB codes its units, it should be possible to order the display in appropriate groupings, but it still finishes up as a manual process.

Thank Post

I get Exams Organiser to work by doing the following:

Export all results to Excel and then do all analysis on them there. Exams Organiser does not include all qualifications in the calculations, i.e. BTEC Intorductory Cert (2x GCSE D-F Grades), BTEC Intorductory Diploma (4x GCSE D-F Grades), CPWL (Cert in Preparation for Working Life - 1/2 GCSE).

For some reason this year it was also including the results from students who had left the school, weird.

So I prefer to do it myself.

Skunk

Thank Post

Skunk here is a response from our Exams expert to your points:

Exams Organiser will be happy to do BTEC for you if you get a basedata file from Edexcel (July series), apply for certification using the normal entry format, and receive back an EDI results file from them. CPWL is not yet in place, however.

The students who have left will be those who were on roll on January Census day, who are legitimately members of your PI cohort - you are entitled to their results from the school they moved to, but getting your hands on them in a way to make them visible to EO may involve a little work.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread